StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little late in posting my new 2011 white 650. I joined this great site in 2008 and finally purchased this May. Grew up on enduros. Early-mid 1970's Suzuki 185 and then a 250. Then a Honda 750F in 1980. My last couple bikes were cruisers, Suzuki LC1500 and a Kawi Nomad 1500. The VStrom is the best bike I've had. Added things already to it to make it even better. A few pictures below.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I like what you did with the bike. Mine is also a 2011 white, and I'm also in the process of modifying it very similarly to you.

Really liked the black exhaust cover (was silver) - could you please specify the steps and materials used?
I guess you sanded it, but what grades were used?
What paint did you use? (Black spray, what type?)

Thanks!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I lightly sanded with 400 sandpaper and cleaned with rubbing alcohol. I used Rustoleum textured paint from WalMart. I also bought Krylon satin and flat at the same time, but they did not match the lower pipe. The textured is a perfect match. I only did very light coats. Maybe 5 in all. Thanks for the compliments on the bike.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have to join the White Club myself. I bought a New 2011 today. Now I have to sell the red one.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I lightly sanded with 400 sandpaper and cleaned with rubbing alcohol. I used Rustoleum textured paint from WalMart. I also bought Krylon satin and flat at the same time, but they did not match the lower pipe. The textured is a perfect match. I only did very light coats. Maybe 5 in all. Thanks for the compliments on the bike.
Thanks for this info!
How much did you sand? Until no shining silver was visible?
I don't want to over sand or sand too little.

EDIT: I just came back from Home Depot, with 400 sandpaper and Rustoleum spray but High Heat, not textured.
The textured cap had lots of sparkly stuff..FOF principle in back of my head told me to go with the High Heat (1200F) version, as I am painting the exhaust heat shield after all..The label says it is supposed to be used for grills etc..
Anyway, hope it turns out nicely, will post photos of the whole process, for the benefits of other troopers (and keep some memories)
Still waiting for sanding instructions :) before I start causing damage later on today.
BTW: The same spray paint is going to be used for camouflaging my EZ-Pass as I recall GreyWolf did (I don't care about its white color, but don't want somebody to pick it up). GreyWolf was also right about the EZ-Pass device location..my tucked in the fairing location was not functional. Put the new EZ-Pass under the madstad with strong outdoor velcros, works like a charm. Hey, I can admit when I make mistake :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just lightly sanded to scuff it up some, not all the way down. The heat shield does not get hot enough where you need high temp paint, but as long as it matches is all that matters. You can always paint the lower one if it doesn't. The textured shows no 'sparklies' at all when on the pipe shield, just a perfect match to the factory lower.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
You can always paint the lower one if it doesn't
True..Or I could go back and get the textured spray..
I already used the one I bought for the EZ Pass - it is black, but not the same full black the Stock shield has. I did apply 4 layers.

Could you please post the image of the spray bottle you got? There are so many different products from rustoleum.. If I get another one I might as
well get exactly the one you got.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
This is what I used. It's been on for over 1,000 miles and still looks like the first day I painted it.

Walmart.com: Rust-Oleum Textured Spray, Black: Paint & Home Decor
Thanks!

This is how the first can looks (it is dark gray matte, not black):

I went to HomeDepot again and they somehow dag out one last can of the same stuff.
This is how it looks:

It is late, and I used flash - but the texture is grainier than the stock one, and it is a bit darker, and also semi-glossy.
I don't mind, but they are not exactly a perfect match, just similar - perhaps I'm doing something wrong, or the colors are just not the same :)
Anyway, going to take off the other lower heat shield and give it the 2nd color, so they match.
A bit shinny, but it kind of matches the seat.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Here's the final result, both heat shields painted:

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
285 Posts
i deleted the post as i followed the link in your sig.
something i should have done before i posted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts