StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, so a week ago I just bought a 2009 dl1000 and wow this is such an upgrade from my ninja 300. Last night I bought a huge windshield, it was never used and looks new... my only problem is I have no idea how to install this thing because the holes that are precut into it don’t line up with the stock windshield mounting bracket. I don’t know whether I should try drilling and potentially ruining the windshield or how I can mount this Windstrom onto my vee. I’ve looked at every other post about the Windstrom windshield but no one talks about how to install it and it seems the manufacturer is no longer in business because the website and phone number for the guy named Eric is no longer active. Does anyone have a Windstrom windshield or could tell me how to install this windshield? I hear that a maadstad? Mounting bracket might be good for the stock windshield but how do I get this huge 26” tall Windstrom windshield onto my bike? I am 29 years old and new to motorcycles, please help me out! Oh and I will attach a photo, the current holes actually line up somewhat with the two screws that are on the plastics but those screws seem a bit flimsy and not meant for direct mounting of such a heavy and big windshield. I will attach photos of the windshield I bought, it was $40 off Craigslist and I’d really like to get it on my bike. I put the stock windshield underneath it so you can see the difference between the stock holes vs the current holes inside the Windstrom windshield.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
The screen you bought is obviously intended for a different motorcycle, but no worry - it can be made to fit.

Take your time and test fit the new screen to the faring first. See exactly where you need new the holes to be before doing any marking or drilling.

Put masking tape firmly on the new screen about where the holes should be, and then place the old screen precisely on top of the new screen and using a felt tipped marker transfer the location of the old holes onto the new screen.
Then use a sharp near new drill of the correct size (or a smaller drill fist) to carefully transfer that hole pattern onto the new screen.
The masking tape not only makes marking easy but helps prevent the drill sliding across the surface of the screen. You will still need to be careful and keep the drill at 90 degrees to the surface as you drill. It may also be advisable to pack an old blanket etc. beneath the screen to stabilise it while you drill.

Alternatively, return the windstrom screen and buy one that is drilled specifically for your V-Strom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The screen you bought is obviously intended for a different motorcycle, but no worry - it can be made to fit.

Take your time and test fit the new screen to the faring first. See exactly where you need new the holes to be before doing any marking or drilling.

Put masking tape firmly on the new screen about where the holes should be, and then place the old screen precisely on top of the new screen and using a felt tipped marker transfer the location of the old holes onto the new screen.
Then use a sharp near new drill of the correct size (or a smaller drill fist) to carefully transfer that hole pattern onto the new screen.
The masking tape not only makes marking easy but helps prevent the drill sliding across the surface of the screen. You will still need to be careful and keep the drill at 90 degrees to the surface as you drill. It may also be advisable to pack an old blanket etc. beneath the screen to stabilise it while you drill.

Alternatively, return the windstrom screen and buy one that is drilled specifically for your V-Strom.
In addition to what brockie said, keep your drill speed low so that you cut and not melt the plastic.

Brockie and old jeep thanks guys..... I bit the bullet and went at this thing today exactly as you guys instructed and chipped away add it with increasing drill bit sizes.. SUCESS!!!!!!!!!

Holy cow... this makes my bike feel new it is so much clearer and cleaner and bigger than my stock windshield. I still have to test it out but it looks great to me. I will add before and after pics and of me drilling.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,127 Posts
Well done. Here's hoping that it is what you want.
If you have any undesirable buffeting try putting some rubber washers under the bottom bolts of the screen to push the screen bottom out a little.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 2002 big V came with a Windstrom mounted. The previous owner did a LOT of upgrades and the Windstrom is a GREAT windshield. Those "wings" kick the airflow out away from the mirrors and REALLY knock down - eliminates, really - the buffeting. Yes, it is a shame the Windstrom folks closed up shop.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts