StromTrooper banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Mine had a fresh oil/filter change just before I bought it, so not done it yet. That is what I do on everything else, though - except the Trophy which has a cartridge type element. I thought with the belly pan off there would be good access.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I'm noticiing that this bike in the lower gears at lower speeds is sort of lunging. If i hold steady throttle at say 30mph in 3rd gear it kind of lunges forward . It definitely feels to me like chain slack is the cause as I have noticed this in the past. I typically leave my chains a bit looser than spec, but wondering if you guys have any other ideas that might cause this to happen? I'm going to adjust the slack a bit tighter today and see if i helps at all. It doesn't do anything like this on the highway at speed or anything like that, really only happens at a slower steady throttle. I doubt if it's the clutch since I"m not having any issues at all there.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm noticiing that this bike in the lower gears at lower speeds is sort of lunging. If i hold steady throttle at say 30mph in 3rd gear it kind of lunges forward . It definitely feels to me like chain slack is the cause as I have noticed this in the past. I typically leave my chains a bit looser than spec, but wondering if you guys have any other ideas that might cause this to happen? I'm going to adjust the slack a bit tighter today and see if i helps at all. It doesn't do anything like this on the highway at speed or anything like that, really only happens at a slower steady throttle. I doubt if it's the clutch since I"m not having any issues at all there.
Didn't you just put a PC V on her?

·
Registered
945 Posts
30mm-40mm slack, no less.

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
Running too lean, it's extremely well documented with the 02-12 1000's.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Running too lean, it's extremely well documented with the 02-12 1000's.
That's why I asked about the PC V. I looked back a few posts and he did install it and reported much better running. This new issue is a surprise. All the usual suspects, I guess, TBS, TPS adjust, throttle cable slack.

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
That's why I asked about the PC V. I looked back a few posts and he did install it and reported much better running. This new issue is a surprise. All the usual suspects, I guess, TBS, TPS adjust, throttle cable slack.
Ah yes......ya gotta love the ever temperamental 1000, biggest reason as to why I eventually went the 650 route. :)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Ah yes......ya gotta love the ever temperamental 1000, biggest reason as to why I eventually went the 650 route. :)
😁 Yes, but then there is that big visceral punch called torque... ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Fairly positive it's not my PC get that steady throttle miss like i was getting at all rpms. I'm going to check my chain, it's not an engine thing i can tell it's something in the drive.

·
Administrator
5,386 Posts
I'm noticiing that this bike in the lower gears at lower speeds is sort of lunging. If i hold steady throttle at say 30mph in 3rd gear it kind of lunges forward .
That sounds to me like a fueling issue. I doubt that it can be the chain unless you have a very badly worn front sprocket in which case it should be replaced. Be very careful of going tighter. As slovcan says 30-40mm and check around the chain for uneven stretching.
As Big B says, off idle leanness for emissions.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Fueling.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
it's not the mapping i've got it running a PC with a map. I'm also noticing as this happens the chain is loading up and that's whats causing it when it's not under a load or decellerating is right when it hpapens. I've got about 2.5 inches of slack in the chain so I"m going to adjust that to about 1" and see where we are at. I also want to check it with my weight on the bike.

·
Registered
437 Posts
So if you already know, why are you asking?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,274 Posts
You can lead a horse to water.........

·
Registered
945 Posts
2.5" = 63ish mm = way too loose
1" = 25mm = way too tight
1.5" = 38mm = just right

·
Registered
945 Posts
Go ride a Honda Valkyrie.........now THAT is real torque. ;)
Oh I do know about torque. I have had 2 V65 Sabres. I know, less torque than the Valk, but less weight, too. I was always SO close to getting a Valk as a next bike, but I just can't get past the weight. I set a 600 lb psychological limit.

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
Oh I do know about torque. I have had 2 V65 Sabres. I know, less torque than the Valk, but less weight, too. I was always SO close to getting a Valk as a next bike, but I just can't get past the weight. I set a 600 lb psychological limit.
Crazy thing is that it almost goes away once moving, and oddly no harder to maneuver around or move than my Strom.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts