StromTrooper banner

61 - 80 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
If the bike is lean at low/mid range it will most likely me more lean in these ranges if you add a more freely flowing exhaust. Booster plugs are junk IMHO as they simply are a resistor that fools the ECU into dumping more fuel into the cylinder. Typically these are overly rich but they are cheap and they do get rid of the lean condition. A Power Commander with canned maps is not to my liking either. If you want the most out of a PC you need to either spend the money and get a custom map or if they make a PC5 add an 02 optimizer to it so that you can run a closed loop system that will sample the exhaust gasses and make fueling corrections accordingly.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Booster plug does fool the ecu but many people swear by it. I recently installed a new to me booster plug but have not ridden enough to comment on...but i do think i might be feeling a difference. I also just have a stock exhaust.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Im not concerned enough to have this bike dyno tuned. Ita not a high performance race machine. I am really just looking to get some sound with the new pipes and want to make sure it isnt going to run dangerously lean. I van buy a power commandwr and load some maps that are shared here id that will help. If a booster plug wont do anything for me then i guess pc is my only option.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Booster plug does fool the ecu but many people swear by it. I recently installed a new to me booster plug but have not ridden enough to comment on...but i do think i might be feeling a difference. I also just have a stock exhaust.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
These have been around for quite a while (probably since one day after FI/ECU went into mass use). FatDuc was one that was horrible It has a small dial on it that you could adjust to lean or fatten the mixture. The problem was on lean it was still grossly fat and on the max setting cylinder washing could occur from being so fat.

For the record my expierence is with fuel/ECU spoofers and Italian motorcycles. But since they are all essentially the same a $0.09 resistor with a couple of plug ends I imagine the problem can be across the board.

I am also in no way shape or form saying they do not work. Quite the opposite they work too well at adding fuel.

YMMV

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
So, there is no happy medium with a booster plug? I had a setup on my CBR that had a dial on it. I could tell when the engine was too rich it would bog and I would get unburnt fuel smoke coming from the exhaust. I'd imagine you would have to run your machine for a long time for cylinder wash, and you'd be ignoring some very major running issues, which most of us won't do. A rich condition so bad that you're bogging down and not running right would be the cause for a cylinder wash, but again you'd have to ignore the way the engine runs and it wouldn't be good.

It sounds like booster plugs add way to much fuel and can't just add enough fuel to compensate for a bit of air opening with the slip on pipes that I am putting on. And also you're not recommending a power commander unless I can have it dyno tuned and mapped specific to the machine. That's too much for what I"m looking to do. Surely there are a majority of people who can put a slip on pipe on these bikes and pair it with some sort of fuel management system without having to make a trip to the dyno garage. Or, is anybody putting slip ons without doing any mods at all? Just wondering if I'm in the safe ballpark by doing this or if I do need to richen things up on the unit.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
For ours with the underseat duals anything will fit, I'm sure. I have Delkevic ovals on mine. The originals are pretty fat. I'm keeping my originals, though, in case I ever live somewhere that requires OEM or EC for inspections. They are still like new.

curious if your map might work with my setup if i get a power commander. what is your elevation?

what about something like this where I can adjust it myself? Dynojet Power Commander FC Fuel Controller fits Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom 1000 | eBay This is what i used in my CBR and was able to get it right where I wanted it. In fact in the winter i could move a couple dials ever slightly and get it to run perfect during the cold months as well.

·
Registered
945 Posts
curious if your map might work with my setup if i get a power commander. what is your elevation?

what about something like this where I can adjust it myself? Dynojet Power Commander FC Fuel Controller fits Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom 1000 | eBay This is what i used in my CBR and was able to get it right where I wanted it. In fact in the winter i could move a couple dials ever slightly and get it to run perfect during the cold months as well.
Yeah, that one you linked to will work fine. I only have experience with mine - PC III USB - so I don't know how you upload maps to the PCFC, but the maps on here will work with it. You have to use maps specifically for the 2002-2003 model years, not the 2004+.

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
Ran a PCIII on my 05 1000 and had Leo Vince race exhausts, my gas mileage and performance was great, and I had a few modified maps I modified from stock map with great results.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Look up booster plug. Check you tube and see how many people are for it and against it and then decide. There was someone here selling the booster plug, he also had a PC3, I went for the booster plug for simplicity.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Booster plug does sound like the quick fix, but i"m thinking I will go with the one I linked above. The power commander that has the dials on it that I can adjust on the fly. I like the idea of being able to do that and I had the same setup on my street bike, made it nice to be able to fine tune the set map. It will come pre programmed with the map for the Dl1000 that I own and then I can tune accordingly. I may put some preloaded maps on it as well.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 2002 that I bought last fall had a Dobeck TFI under the seat (but it was unplugged from the injectors. Why, I don't know). Similar to the one you posted above, with the adjustable dials, but the older version with no "maps". Just the old school "electronic jet kit". Like this one: Holeshot TFI

I did hook it back up and it seems to be working fine for me. I added a Dominator exhaust kit with the baffles installed and I'm good with the sound and performance, along with the weight savings. Sadly, the bike is currently in pieces in the garage (clutch basket, rear wheel spacer mod, chain and sprockets, and tires).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I went ahead and ordered a power commander V. The ebay seller loads a free map based on the bike and modifications so we'll see how close they get. I can always put a custom map on there if I want too but figure this might be a plug and play setup assuming they put a proper map on it before they send it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
So, there is no happy medium with a booster plug? I had a setup on my CBR that had a dial on it. I could tell when the engine was too rich it would bog and I would get unburnt fuel smoke coming from the exhaust. I'd imagine you would have to run your machine for a long time for cylinder wash, and you'd be ignoring some very major running issues, which most of us won't do. A rich condition so bad that you're bogging down and not running right would be the cause for a cylinder wash, but again you'd have to ignore the way the engine runs and it wouldn't be good.

It sounds like booster plugs add way to much fuel and can't just add enough fuel to compensate for a bit of air opening with the slip on pipes that I am putting on. And also you're not recommending a power commander unless I can have it dyno tuned and mapped specific to the machine. That's too much for what I"m looking to do. Surely there are a majority of people who can put a slip on pipe on these bikes and pair it with some sort of fuel management system without having to make a trip to the dyno garage. Or, is anybody putting slip ons without doing any mods at all? Just wondering if I'm in the safe ballpark by doing this or if I do need to richen things up on the unit.
I have a set of 2 Brothers cans on my ‘06 Vee, with no fuel mods added. Runs fine so far, but they came used, and had a set of dB reducer tips already installed, which chokes them off a bit compared to no tips at all. Maybe that makes the difference?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'm planning to get the pipes and PC on this weekend I'll post up the results. Hopefully I like it. Still can't get plates on the dang bike because my DMV's are not open.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Got the pipes on. Only issue was one of the clamp bolts was wonky. They are allen heads and one of them was sloppy from the start so i am having issues trying to snug it without spinning. I have a plethora of 3/8 drive allens and none went it tight on the one bolt. I will ask delkevic if they have the specs for the bolt or of they can send one with a good head. Other than that they fit very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
945 Posts
Man, I don't know. I've never seen a booster plug, but I gotta wonder. Can you get a clear close up picture of the thing?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,274 Posts
Might be a "speedo-healer". Speedometer correction device.....

61 - 80 of 129 Posts