StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
I believe this is the first time I've seen the 2002-1000 dash, looks really cool and retro. Fun times ahead for you!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Welcome to the first year club!
Use caution some things are different on 02-03s.

Reactions: prepper

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Hm, that looks very familiar for some reason.

Although mine somewhow lost the little silver "SUZUKI" strip under the buttons between the instruments long ago.

And it has 100,000 more miles -- better start catching up! It may be a while before anyone catches the 400,000 mile guy.

My stock seat actually wasn't too bad up until about 75,000 miles. By that point the foam was just plain worn out, so I installed a Seat Concepts kit.

A Vee with racks is the pickup of motorcycles. That's a complete exhaust system for a Corolla, BTW. Long story.:

Also, mine is wearing a black swingarm from a 2006 model; the welds on my original cracked because they were apparently done on a Friday afternoon after a lot of sake at lunch. You'll also note that my windshield is mostly cut off. The crappy windshield is a well-known sore point on these. It looks like there's some sort of upgrade on yours, and I hope it works well for you.

And yep, it's important to pay attention to the differences between the 2002-2003 and the later models. Most parts up to 2012 fit, but certainly not all, and most suppliers are absolutely clueless.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not trying to hijack, but I just picked up a 2002 recently as well. No pics, because it's currently apart in the garage for some repairs and maintenance. I rode it a bit after fixing the broken turn signals, and it had a pretty consistent backfire on decel. I found the exhaust leaking where most everybody else does; at the connector just after the rear cylinder head. Thankfully, I got the front pipe bolts out without breaking them. Exhaust is off, and seals are ordered from Partzilla. Bike also had a Dobeck TFI that the LEDs didn't light up on, so I pulled the tank and airbox to see what was up. I found it was disconnected from the injectors, and the connectors were zip-tied back to the harness. Not sure what to think about that... I figure since I'm halfway there, I may as well pull it down further and check/adjust the valves, since I have no way of knowing when they were last done. I got a binder with the bike with a bunch of stuff printed out about how to do it, but no idea if it's actually been done or not. Oh, and the clutch basket is junk. Well, you buy used and you get used. At least I'll know what I've got after going through it. Hoping to find a decent set of mufflers before I put it back together; those stockers don't look nearly as heavy as they are.

Enjoy your new-to-you 2002, Prepper!

Did I see this on ADVrider as well? The post looked familiar.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not trying to hijack, but I just picked up a 2002 recently as well. No pics, because it's currently apart in the garage for some repairs and maintenance. I rode it a bit after fixing the broken turn signals, and it had a pretty consistent backfire on decel. I found the exhaust leaking where most everybody else does; at the connector just after the rear cylinder head. Thankfully, I got the front pipe bolts out without breaking them. Exhaust is off, and seals are ordered from Partzilla. Bike also had a Dobeck TFI that the LEDs didn't light up on, so I pulled the tank and airbox to see what was up. I found it was disconnected from the injectors, and the connectors were zip-tied back to the harness. Not sure what to think about that... I figure since I'm halfway there, I may as well pull it down further and check/adjust the valves, since I have no way of knowing when they were last done. I got a binder with the bike with a bunch of stuff printed out about how to do it, but no idea if it's actually been done or not. Oh, and the clutch basket is junk. Well, you buy used and you get used. At least I'll know what I've got after going through it. Hoping to find a decent set of mufflers before I put it back together; those stockers don't look nearly as heavy as they are.

Enjoy your new-to-you 2002, Prepper!

Did I see this on ADVrider as well? The post looked familiar.

yeah, I'm in denver so I frequent the rockies forum at adv,,,

good points, thanks

jm

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Congrats Prepper. She looks real nice! I just bought a 2002 as well. Bought it Thursday and got home on it on Saturday (fly in and ride 2000 kms home).

Cheers,
Glenn

Reactions: prepper
1 - 11 of 11 Posts