StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally pulled the trigger. Will send pics once I get it home. Dealer is offering 15% off on all accessories for a few days after I buy the bike. Please give me your experience/input on the following as I have a timeframe before the discount expires:

• Oil – cheaper online? If so I'll buy on the WEB
• Center stand – OEM looks good but dealer made me aware of the portable/rolling kind which is cheaper and won't add weight. They carry it as well. I don't mine a kickstand and only need something to lube chain etc.
* I'm assuming my Craftsman bike lift will lift bike once I get skid plate on?
• OEM Crash bars - looks good enough & easy to put on. Will they work w/most skid plates?
• OEM Foot pegs – heard good reviews and they are adjustable
• OEM Side cases – look good but are smaller and more expensive than Givi V35/37 even w/discount.
* Skid plate - looking at Happy Trails. I think it fits inside lower cowling and protects well. I'm not using the bike for enduro, just occasional dirt trails/mtn roads etc.
* Top Case - thinking of Givi 47 which will double as back rest for my wife. Many have said don't waste money on back rest pad?

Ok, that's it. Please share any info as promptly as you can. Looking forward to what is likely my last bike!

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
Uh-oh, can of worms here.
Hola and congrats on the new bike. All of your concerns have much written about them Some are in the stickys, some in the hall of wisdom. The google box at the top of the page will lead you to all of the answers offered over the years.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Uh-oh, can of worms here.
Hola and congrats on the new bike. All of your concerns have much written about them Some are in the stickys, some in the hall of wisdom. The google box at the top of the page will lead you to all of the answers offered over the years.
Thanks - I have snooped around quite a bit. Guess I was just looking for any new words of wisdom. Will continue my research..

·
Registered
15,221 Posts
i can appreciate that. There is a huge amount of info to sort through.
Occasionally a new bits of preference and wisdom pop up.
i find a lot of info reading the new post entries daily. Stuff i would have never thought of by myself comes up.
You can get a handle on some of the members here too. Personalities and level of expertise become evident.
Seems to make the forum more alive for me. Not just a dry source on the internet.
Some forums are as dry as a popcorn fart!

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Congrats! Lots of options and opinions on farkles, so I'll save mine :grin2:

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I'd suggest not worrying about the dealer discount for a few days and taking your time to see what you like and what you need. How tall are you? I'm only 5 10', but the two things that seem like there was no downside were peg lowering and bar risers with a bit of setback. Both very reasonably priced. I couldn't handle not having a centre stand on this type of bike.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Joe, I also would really weigh your options on the luggage. I have factory panniers bought for cheaper than the dealer offered online.
They are not great in terms of capacity or ability to load them. I will make due by packing everything in separate bags. I like the fact that they are the most tucked in and integrate well with the bike aesthetically. Also when detached, there is no rack left behind.
If starting fresh, I'd consider soft panniers and still might down the road.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. After looking online last night I don't think I'll get anything from the dealer, maybe just oil/filter. Too many choices out there for bars/skid plates etc. I have found some online dealers that have a decent discount so will consider them. Pretty sure at a minimum we'll get the Givi V47 top case both for storage and wife's backrest. I'll remove it when it's just me riding around locally that's why I was wanting hard panniers for their security vs soft bags, I just don't like how they flair out the rear end. The OEM panniers seem well made and protrude the least but of course cost more than the larger but wider Givi V35/37s.

The T-Rex crash bars look pretty well made and at a decent price. I haven't made a decision yet on skid plate but the Happy Trails one while large will cover the lower cowling. Lots of good choices for the center stand including the OEM version. Does anyone have a favorite online Suzuki dealer they've used for accessories?

Thanks again..

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would consider a centerstand. Not a portable one. It's just so darned convenient to have an attached centerstand. One of those things where when you need it, it's GREAT to have it. EXAMPLES: Get a nail in a tire, just put it on a center stand so you can freely rotate the tire to where it is. When you ride through a heavy rain (or a shallow river) on a long or multiday trip, you can centerstand it and wipe dry and oil your chain in five minutes for a little extra protection. Check the oil level easily. Stuff like that.

Alexi

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Picked it up today - love it! Only had 0.7 miles on it. Break-in says keep it under 5k for 1st 500 miles - that's very hard to do! Ordered a center stand from dealer using his 15% discount and some Suzuki 5000 reg 10-40W and filter. Will try to hit 500 miles as quickly as possible (have 75 now).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Picked it up today - love it! Only had 0.7 miles on it. Break-in says keep it under 5k for 1st 500 miles - that's very hard to do! Ordered a center stand from dealer using his 15% discount and some Suzuki 5000 reg 10-40W and filter. Will try to hit 500 miles as quickly as possible (have 75 now).
Better check that manual again on the break in period. On the 2017 it is up to 5K rpm first 500 miles and then not over 7500rpm
until 1000 miles. THEN fully broken in. There is also an oil and filter change at the 600 mile interval.

This may have changed for your model year but I doubt it since the motor has not changed for 2019.

Reactions: MAZ4ME

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Better check that manual again on the break in period. On the 2017 it is up to 5K rpm first 500 miles and then not over 7500rpm
until 1000 miles. THEN fully broken in. There is also an oil and filter change at the 600 mile interval.

This may have changed for your model year but I doubt it since the motor has not changed for 2019.
Yeah I read that last night. I'm good with the 7500k to 1000miles, just hard for the first interval. Will change the oil myself at 600

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you ride or will ride in colder weather, I highly recommend Oxford heated grips. A brake light modulator that blinks my break light is something that helps with safety.

Crash bars, givi or t-rex are good. Skid plates by happy trails are really tough, they weigh more but will take more of a beating.

Puig makes a good windscreens for speeds over 80 mph.

Bumot side cases are tough and have a tool box in the mounts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hello and congratulations on the new ride. I had a similar opportunity with my dealer giving me parts at cost for a year. I bought a lower plastic engine cover and handguards, which your bike will already have. I also bought the OEM center stand, which I thought was the best of the available stands, and I wouldn't be without that. My bike came with the small OEM side cases at no charge, and they work fine for me at that price. I bought an extension for the top of the windscreen ( I can't ever remember its real name) and it works great. I bought a couple OEM oil filters and Suzuki oil for the first service. And a can of Bel-Ray chain lube. I don't know if I actually saved much, but all of these were good purchases IMHO, and I got to know the parts guy. I plan to buy a front sprocket before the time runs out. I may extend the warranty. Haven't decided. We all make these the way we want them, and there's certainly no right or wrong way. Enjoy your new bike! DD

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you ride or will ride in colder weather, I highly recommend Oxford heated grips. A brake light modulator that blinks my break light is something that helps with safety.

Crash bars, givi or t-rex are good. Skid plates by happy trails are really tough, they weigh more but will take more of a beating.

Puig makes a good windscreens for speeds over 80 mph.

Bumot side cases are tough and have a tool box in the mounts.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Thanks Wee - I'll checkout Bumot, not heard of them before.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Yeah I read that last night. I'm good with the 7500k to 1000miles, just hard for the first interval. Will change the oil myself at 600
Thats fine just make sure you get a good quality oil filter or the Suzuki brand.
Be aware that in the event of a warranty issue Suzuki usa may point the finger at you
for NOT using a Suzuki brand oil filter. Just an FYI.

And don't expect that oil filter to just walk off the threads. The factory uses
a big ole gorrilla to tighten those up. :wink2:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats fine just make sure you get a good quality oil filter or the Suzuki brand.
Be aware that in the event of a warranty issue Suzuki usa may point the finger at you
for NOT using a Suzuki brand oil filter. Just an FYI.

And don't expect that oil filter to just walk off the threads. The factory uses
a big ole gorrilla to tighten those up. :wink2:
Thanks Resto - planning on sticking w/the Suzuki brand for both. My days of oil analysis-paralysis are long gone:laugh2:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts