StromTrooper banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Wow, glad to hear you are (or will be) OK. Deer definitely pretty much fall into that "anvil falling from the sky" class of risks that you can't do much to mitigate, other than avoiding riding where/when they are likely to be found. Which in some areas is pretty much anwwhere/anytime.

Interested in what kind of gloves you wear wearing - you mention broken knuckles. I've always wondered whether gloves with hard knuckle protection do any good. Probably depends on what's under the hard knuckle protection, too.

·
Vendor
5,443 Posts
Exactly! Deer drive me crazy around here, and not just as road hazards. I wish it were feasible to bring wolves back in a big way to clean them up. Or at least make it not so easy to legally shoot coyotes.

Actually it is the lack of mountain lions (a.k.a., panthers, cougars, pumas) that has largely allowed the explosion of deer since western man came to the americas.

My sister hot two deer in a period of 1 month. I guess I should say that the deer hit her. Nearly came in the car with my nephew the second time.

Clearly a good argument for hunting to keep the population in control because not too many people want to see in increase in lion populations where they live.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
Super glad you are ok!
I lost a friend to a hoofed rodent. Once a large buck jumped across the road and his hoof actually dragged across the hood of my car..... freaking crazy.
I did a bunch of reading about whistles. No definitive conclusion. Oh well!

I had another friend that got knocked off his bike at 55MPH when a tree branch let go and hit him in the chest!
Another friend this bird hit him and the damn beak went in about 1".... bad stuff
I once got hit in the facesheild with something back in my go fast days. It was huge, full of nasties, exploded all over me and the super bike i was cruising on at 160. Loud like a shot gun with no ear plugs! Damn glad I was wearing a premium lid with a premium visor!!!!! I had to pull off the road, could almost not see anything. The instruments were covered in the entrails of that nasty creature. I did not see it coming. I went down to the ditch and made a number of trips with ditch water to kind of clean up this new bike I was test riding!

I wear Motoport and Arai ALL THE TIME!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Wow, glad to hear you are (or will be) OK. Deer definitely pretty much fall into that "anvil falling from the sky" class of risks that you can't do much to mitigate, other than avoiding riding where/when they are likely to be found. Which in some areas is pretty much anwwhere/anytime.

Interested in what kind of gloves you wear wearing - you mention broken knuckles. I've always wondered whether gloves with hard knuckle protection do any good. Probably depends on what's under the hard knuckle protection, too.
I had my summer vented gloves on with hard knuckles. The problem was the hard knuckle acted like an anvil and I crushed three of my knuckles. I'm moving on to a glove from Klim that has a protective knuckle guard that is padded but it is not hard. Learned this lesson the hard way. I always assumed the hard knuckle would be the best in a slide, but you don't always just slide.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Had a local acquaintance killed by a deer last night. Unfortunately was a Harley rider that did not wear any protective gear. Had I not been wearing mine I would have definitely met the same fate.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Had a local acquaintance killed by a deer last night. Unfortunately was a Harley rider that did not wear any protective gear. Had I not been wearing mine I would have definitely met the same fate.
Wow. RIP. I just edited my post on page 1 here before I read this one. I'll say it again - 2020, what a fucking year!

Reactions: Inpitt/Mac50

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Man alive! Kamikaze deer. You sure did get beat up. Glad you're still with us. Yes, get back on the bike, but NOT until you're 100%. If something isn't finished healing it can affect your riding proficiency and you don't want to get hurt again. Thinking about stiffness or reduced range of motion physically or even balance or other brain affected functions. Hopefully nothing more than concussion and memory.

Cheers,
Glenn

You know what's crazy? Inpitt/Mac50 and I posted this exactly 1 week before I got creamed by the car. Week 19 starts today for me - still recovering. And look at the post below this - Perazzi took a tumble today. 2020 - what a fucking year!
Just saw your edit. Sorry to hear about your crash and hope everything is OK long term. I was off for 4-months total. Mostly my hands, but didn't realize how screwed up my head was for 2 1/2-months until the clouds finally lifted and I was thinking clearly again

21 - 27 of 27 Posts