StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new O/W 1050XT about a month ago. Rode home in the morning and had some time to take a short 10 mile ride in the afternoon to just check out some components and compare handling to my 650XT. At mile 8 I ended up in hand-to hand combat with a deer at 35mph. I don't remember what happened, but witnesses said the deer ran across the opposing lane in front of a car, jumped and hit me square on my blindside left - head to head/body to body contact. I was fortunately in full gear, but it still knocked the living crap out of me. I ended up with a mild brain injury, 2 broken knuckles on my left hand and 2 on my right as well as a broken right wrist and bruising down my left side from neck to toe. Gear saved me from even more extreme punishment. The bike came out pretty well. Scrape on the engine guard, lost both mirrors and front turn signals, some scratched plastic and a hole in one panel from the deer's foot. Can't ride for another 3 weeks (it has been 4 so far), so hope to get bike back by then. I can say I am always aware and on lookout for deer, but this proves that anything can happen at anytime - so wear all of your gear all of the time no matter how inconvenient it may be or how short your ride will be.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ouch! Glad you are okay in general. Sorry to read about your accident.
Any pics of the bike? A deer hoof through a panel would be something to see.

Reactions: Inpitt/Mac50

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Man alive! Kamikaze deer. You sure did get beat up. Glad you're still with us. Yes, get back on the bike, but NOT until you're 100%. If something isn't finished healing it can affect your riding proficiency and you don't want to get hurt again. Thinking about stiffness or reduced range of motion physically or even balance or other brain affected functions. Hopefully nothing more than concussion and memory.

Cheers,
Glenn

You know what's crazy? Inpitt/Mac50 and I posted this exactly 1 week before I got creamed by the car. Week 19 starts today for me - still recovering. And look at the post below this - Perazzi took a tumble today. 2020 - what a fucking year!

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I had a deer strike in Rock Cave WV about this time last year. Was traveling about 55mph and all I saw was a black blur about the size of a basketball dart out in front of me. Handlebars violently jolted and a millisecond later it was over. Fortunately I stayed upright. Pulled over a few 100 yards up the road and asked a buddy that was following me if it was a dog or a deer. He said it was deer at a flat out run hit. She her head into my right fork leg then slammed the road then into my crash and flipped up over my head. If I was a second slower would have center punched her. If I was 2 seconds later buddy would have center punched her.

Crash bar bent and deer scat all over the side of the bike and all over my riding pants. Thankful to ride away unharmed as most people do not.

Welcome to the club no one wants to belong too and even fewer get to talk about. Glad you relatively unscathed and able to talk about it.

·
Registered
15,606 Posts
Dang forest rats. I whacked one with my BMW 800St and killed the bike. I was OK and rolled to a stop with no injury.
Hope you heal up well. Stuff happens. Hope in never happens again. I've had many close calls with hairy denizens of the forest and prairie. Damn them all.
Riding away after an encounter make you a hero in my book!

·
Administrator
6,356 Posts
Hoping that you and the bike recover 100%.
We have the same issue with kangaroos. Mostly they will spot you and run away. All of the dangerous events that I have witnessed are where another vehicle coming from the other direction has startled it. I always slow/stop as you never know where they will go in such circumstances. A lesson for us all there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dang forest rats.
Exactly! Deer drive me crazy around here, and not just as road hazards. I wish it were feasible to bring wolves back in a big way to clean them up. Or at least make it not so easy to legally shoot coyotes.

·
Registered
15,606 Posts
I kinda consider those whistles are wishful thinking. I installed a set on a BMW R65LS and went to the mountains. On a stretch of old Hwy 66 in Cajon Pass in So Calif. I was buzzing along and a young deer meandered out into the traffic lanes and stood there looking around trying to find out where the sound was coming from. More like a deer call rather than a method of chasing them away from my experience.
I believe they are supposed to be mounted in a certain manner apart that is wider than could be achieved on must bikes. And I've been told that they ineffective under 35 mph. I know they easily fill up with bug bodies and that renders them useless.
More more practical would be a loud speaker that blasted out a report of a hunting rifle. That the deer might have some memory of.

·
Administrator
13,810 Posts
Since most riders never hit a deer having one and not getting hit doesn't prove they work

On the other hand there are people that did hit a deer when using a deer whistle that can attest that they don't work

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,511 Posts
WOW.....one of my biggest fears, have had some close calls. I try hard hard not to ride at dusk or dawn anymore, what time of day did this occur? You and the bike will live to ride again, quite a PSA for wearing the gear!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
My best friend and I recently came fenders to broadside of a small herd of elk that decided this patch of dark and rainy pavement was going to be theirs. Thank heavens we each have very bright Cyclops LED headlamps and auxiliary lights so we saw them well in time. It was a cool experience, close enough though. Glad you're on the mend.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Picked up my new O/W 1050XT about a month ago. Rode home in the morning and had some time to take a short 10 mile ride in the afternoon to just check out some components and compare handling to my 650XT. At mile 8 I ended up in hand-to hand combat with a deer at 35mph. I don't remember what happened, but witnesses said the deer ran across the opposing lane in front of a car, jumped and hit me square on my blindside left - head to head/body to body contact. I was fortunately in full gear, but it still knocked the living crap out of me. I ended up with a mild brain injury, 2 broken knuckles on my left hand and 2 on my right as well as a broken right wrist and bruising down my left side from neck to toe. Gear saved me from even more extreme punishment. The bike came out pretty well. Scrape on the engine guard, lost both mirrors and front turn signals, some scratched plastic and a hole in one panel from the deer's foot. Can't ride for another 3 weeks (it has been 4 so far), so hope to get bike back by then. I can say I am always aware and on lookout for deer, but this proves that anything can happen at anytime - so wear all of your gear all of the time no matter how inconvenient it may be or how short your ride will be.
Sorry to hear about your new bike, that's a rough start! It sounds like you are going to heal up in the end though so that's a good sign!

Thank you for the reminder about ATGAT, I've gotten lazy the last couple years as I ride a lot for work and it's a pain putting the gear on/off 4-5 times a day!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Exploding deer population a big problem in upstate NY too. Far fewer people hunting them now. My solution: Permit meat processors allowing them to substantially cull the deer population under the guidance of state environmental officials (so they are not totally eradicated). Get meat FDA approval then sell the meat in stores and to restaurants - it's delicious, lean, cost nothing to grow etc.
I try to be super vigilant to the point where after a full day, my head actually hurts, but man, getting T-boned by a deer, how can you see that coming and avoid it?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts