StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of Puppy dog trail based NEVA

Puppy dog trail is basically a continuous route of dirt roads (not trails) that go from the Massachusetts border to the Canadian border. There is of course many super paved roads around too.

There is a state campground which is Quechee State Park a state plain jane tent sight camp ground with 45 campsites. It is located about 1/2 way North South in Vermont

The campground might fill up,, theoretically we could book sites 11 months in advance so now

Search the puppy dog trail gps you should see it on a BMW site. Idea being go one way on friday, the other on saturday and return via paved roads even I91 as it is parallel

SPEAK UP !!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Thinking of Puppy dog trail based NEVA

Puppy dog trail is basically a continuous route of dirt roads (not trails) that go from the Massachusetts border to the Canadian border. There is of course many super paved roads around too.

There is a state campground which is Quechee State Park a state plain jane tent sight camp ground with 45 campsites. It is located about 1/2 way North South in Vermont

The campground might fill up,, theoretically we could book sites 11 months in advance so now

Search the puppy dog trail gps you should see it on a BMW site. Idea being go one way on friday, the other on saturday and return via paved roads even I91 as it is parallel

SPEAK UP !!
Just an FYI, I've camped at that State Park and it's a nice one. However it is within walking distance to Quechee Gorge and fills up early and fast.
Getting the number of sites that might be needed will be difficult. Thanks for getting the ball rolling early, Rich.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Rich,
Happy Thanksgiving weekend. Great suggestion. For that matter, we could possibly stay at the Mohawk trail campground. I am interested in what others have to say. It certainly would be relatively easy to set up.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Not to be negative but didn't we ride the Puppy Dog last year?

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
The puppy dog trail is definitely a destination many of us have already ridden many times. It would be a convenient NEVA to attend, but may be too familiar to be interesting.

It was my understanding that someone at NEVA 2020 from Pennsylvania was willing to set up the 2021 event in that area???

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'm up for anything, and I particularly love VT.

Maybe officially make this a 4 day event, Thurs-Sun, since so many people arrive on Thursday anyhow. At NEVA20 I got there late afternoon on Friday, the first official day, and the crowd was already thinning by Saturday., I felt like I missed the event. Everyone arrives on Thursday and leaves on Sunday. I loved the campsite and would have loved to have spent more time in the area. Yes, I know the rain coming in on Sunday pushed a lot of people out early.

There was also mention of reusing some of the previous, better campgrounds to make organizing easier, no scouting and all the other leg work. Just make a call to the same vendors.

Reactions: woodentoy

·
Registered
606 Posts
Blaustrom and I camped in the Renovo, PA area for more than 10 days this fall and had a great time. While we were there, we visited a few places that would be good for a NEVA event. The area offers some of the best riding I have found in the Northeast. We rode on average 100 miles per day on a combination of asphalt and dirt/gravel state forest roads. We rarely rode the same roads twice in over 10 days and yet we operated out of a single base camp. I would highly recommend this area if the group is looking for something new and exciting.
Untitled.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Well, I don't have much standing to offer an opinion, since I've never been to NEVA, but here goes anyway. :)
I'll be living in the DC area by next spring, so I really hope to make it in 2021.

I'm not a big fan of "rolling rallies" where you pack up and move. Especially if you're camping. Much prefer to have a central location and then day rides out of that. Makes it easier for people who like different sorts of riding to hook up with like-minded people and do what they want. The dirt guys do their thing, the fast street guys do theirs, and those that what to poke along on a scenic ride and have a great lunch can do that.
Also makes it easier for someone who wanted to trailer to the rally.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
... I really hope to make it in 2021. I'm not a big fan of "rolling rallies" where you pack up and move. ....
NEVA is each year at a different (but single) location, at least up til now. 2021 would be the 11th year for the event. Always first weekend in August, so block your calendar.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Blaustrom and I camped in the Renovo, PA area for more than 10 days this fall and had a great time. While we were there, we visited a few places that would be good for a NEVA event. The area offers some of the best riding I have found in the Northeast. We rode on average 100 miles per day on a combination of asphalt and dirt/gravel state forest roads. We rarely rode the same roads twice in over 10 days and yet we operated out of a single base camp. I would highly recommend this area if the group is looking
Ron and Harmut,
Do you want the fame of having chaired NEVA for two consecutive years? You guys did such a good job for NEVA 20, and it would look awesome on your resume!

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I think a campground with a lot of space would be ideal, as us Canucks will be hesitant to put deposits down until the border opens up. If it even does by then, who knows!

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
I’m up for VT or PA? Then again the second NEVA was in NH and very fun too.

NEVA is usually the first weekend in August but sometimes it has been the last weekend in July. So let’s settle on a date (Fri 8/6/21 or the weekend before Fri 7/30/21) then a location if possible?

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK OK Kill the VERMONT section , Even without the inputs I had no luck finding reasonable tent camping place, all the commercial ones seem to be RVs,, I'm out

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
OK OK Kill the VERMONT section , Even without the inputs I had no luck finding reasonable tent camping place, all the commercial ones seem to be RVs,, I'm out
Rich,
Thanks for starting this thread and suggesting Vt. We can certainly do that anytime with the usual bunch of riders.

As for NEVA 21, we need to canvas our group and find someone willing to take charge. It's not difficult. Good suggestion from Ron and Harmut. I know it is a great place to ride. Maybe Ron and Harmut would be willing to assist someone who stands up and volunteers to chair this. Tnkrplt has a great attitude about planning these get togethers - K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid. Find a location to stay, and the rest will work its' way out. Obviously, there are some logistics, but it doesn't have to be fancy or hard.

Let those that are able put out feelers to get this done. It will be a new year soon, and we need to at least have a location and campground picked to build the weekend.

·
Premium Member
Former 2x DL650 owner; moved onto Super Tenere ES
522 Posts
Well said Syd.
I’m open to PA if that’s what makes sense for this year. Selecting the location and exact date (last weekend in July vs. first weekend in Aug) are key so people can block their calendars sooner than later.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
NEVA Riders,
Happy New Year! I am counting the days until the 2021 riding season begins.

Rest assured we are working hard to make NEVA 21 an excellent event. We will have GREAT news shortly regarding this event! Stay tuned........

1 - 20 of 36 Posts