StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 342 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Since I know the area well, I'd be happy to do up some routes & lead/sweep a ride if needed.
That was my hope Shane, I appreciate it. When I add the tentative routes I usually ride (which you have done as well) I will link your Ontario Roads string, as some guys staying longer may want to explore. Supposed to rain tomorrow, so I should be able to upload some GPS files and picks.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That was my hope Shane, I appreciate it. When I add the tentative routes I usually ride (which you have done as well) I will link your Ontario Roads string, as some guys staying longer may want to explore. Supposed to rain tomorrow, so I should be able to upload some GPS files and picks.
Sounds good. I've updated that Ontario Roads thread with a bunch of new good ones not in the original list. Tent site added to the Google Doc!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Important update

Guys...just off the phone with KOA, and they are holding the 2017 rates for us until October 14th when they close.

All tent sites for 2 bikes will stay at $45 CDN tax in. ALSO....he is giving us the pull through hydro/water sites #'s 26 to 35 across from the tents and cabins for the same $45 !!!. Site #30 is already taken by another camper. #24 & 25 are seasonal sites with permanent trailers.

The cabins are $87 for 2 people, plus $15 each for the extra 2 if you want 4 per cabin.

I suggest you call in and book before the 14th.

·
Registered
508 Posts
here we go

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
The cabins are $87 for 2 people, plus $15 each for the extra 2 if you want 4 per cabin.

Thanks for all you efforts Phil!

Are you saying the cabins are $87 for each of two people (ie $174) (Plus taxes?) or that for one or two people the cabins are $87 and each additional person adds $15?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Big Chute via Southwood Rd.

OK gang....here is the first posting on Dropbox of a tentative route for sightseers. The Tyre GPX file is uploaded as well as some street view snaps from MyRoute app.

Southwood Road is awesome but heed the warning from Shane on his Ontario Roads string. Big Chute is a marine railway and will be busy transporting small and large cruisers down and back up the 60 foot difference in water levels.

Bala and Port Carling are must stops with falls and locks through the Muskoka Lakes. Bracebridge has 3 sets of falls and is only minutes from the KOA.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Screaming Heads

I just posted Screaming Heads images and GPX file of another route option along a lot of the roads Shane posted. It can be all paved or a mix of gravel as well. Anyone wanting an excellent paved twisty instead, 518 can cut across this run over to Sprucedale. It also includes a stop at The Rosseau General Store for ice cream and a time warp visit to old Muskoka ! Final route to be edited this fall or next spring, but this is the actual route some of us rode from Bala.
For adventurous Hero Riders, Alex can attest to the Seguin Trail which runs parallel to 518 along an old railway line. Alex and I chickened out at the water crossing :grin2:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
KOA to the Bunny Trail

Yup....still raining. Here is another option to wet your appetites and make you visit Muskoka Lakes. I just uploaded the Bunny Trail route we did from the cottage, adjusted to the KOA as a starting point.

Lots of Precambrian Shield up here....you know, like 568v8....Precambrian Stromtrooper >:)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
OK gang....here is the first posting on Dropbox of a tentative route for sightseers. The Tyre GPX file is uploaded as well as some street view snaps from MyRoute app.

Southwood Road is awesome but heed the warning from Shane on his Ontario Roads string. Big Chute is a marine railway and will be busy transporting small and large cruisers down and back up the 60 foot difference in water levels.

Bala and Port Carling are must stops with falls and locks through the Muskoka Lakes. Bracebridge has 3 sets of falls and is only minutes from the KOA.
I rode most of them twice on 2 (out of last 3 weeks) weekends (or should I say long weekends) on my way to Highlands and back and had a great time (again).

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Small world eh!

If you guys read Ontario Roads by Juan Tanamara (Shane), you'll see his favourite road is Mortimers Point to Foreman Road before Port Carling on my posted routes. I rode it this morning on the way to the cottage in Bala, and past him leading a bunch of guys. Then on the way home on Muskoka 38, is his bike on the side of the road. I turned around, and he was sitting on the rocks waiting for a CAA flat bed to take him back to Toronto. He got to less than 200 km from home, so it was free. He blew his stator after 130,000 km :surprise:

Bill....he gave me some more gravel road routes as well while we talked. >:)

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Haven't seen Shane since we first met on the way to the Fall Peep Show a few years ago. I am surprised he didn't fry the stator much sooner, given his "ride it like you stole it" style!>:)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks Phil,

Count me in. I just signed up on the Google Doc. Hoping to share a cabin with Hartmut.
I just sent him a text message to see if he has already booked.

I have done a bit of riding up there a few years ago. Yes, Wilberforce with V-TOM and others. Those 500 roads were really nice smooth fun. Looking forward to it and seeing you all.

DannyC.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Thanks Phil,

Count me in. I just signed up on the Google Doc. Hoping to share a cabin with Hartmut.
I just sent him a text message to see if he has already booked.

I have done a bit of riding up there a few years ago. Yes, Wilberforce with V-TOM and others. Those 500 roads were really nice smooth fun. Looking forward to it and seeing you all.

DannyC.
Hey Danny,
Glad to see you are still riding. Haven't seen you in a few years. Happy to see you will be attending. How cool is that- a bunch of Americans heading to Canada for motorcycling. :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Haven't seen Shane since we first met on the way to the Fall Peep Show a few years ago. I am surprised he didn't fry the stator much sooner, given his "ride it like you stole it" style!>:)
Hey Syd, we shall meet again! Looking forward to this next year.
This is my third stator and it seems they last around 60k for me, so not too bad I guess.

21 - 40 of 342 Posts