StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone from south east ontario going? I booked the time off work today so I am in. Hopefully have another guy coming with me as well.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Is this the West Virginia Rally the first weekend in May
No, please visit the link below or look under Events for N.E.V.A. 14.
We will be in the Berkshires of Massachusetts the first weekend in August.
Great weekend, great riders, all around GREAT time. I promise you will enjoy. We are thankful to have a large Canadian contingency for these events.:thumbup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Count me in. I'm taking Friday Aug 1st off. If there are strommers heading through Buffalo that day let me know so we can hook up. It will be great if we can make a grand appearance with a large group. This rally can also be put on the meeting agenda of the SW Ontario group to discuss further

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess I should have specified what border crossing I will be using. Either the one in Ganonque or Brockville would work for me. I am likewise taking Aug 1st off and plan to leave around 7 or 8am.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Count me in. I'm taking Friday Aug 1st off. If there are strommers heading through Buffalo that day let me know so we can hook up. It will be great if we can make a grand appearance with a large group. This rally can also be put on the meeting agenda of the SW Ontario group to discuss further
I will be going from Buffalo on Friday morning. Will be a boring ride to get there taking I-90. We can meet up in the Tonawandas or Pembroke Service station if you like.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I guess I should have specified what border crossing I will be using. Either the one in Ganonque or Brockville would work for me. I am likewise taking Aug 1st off and plan to leave around 7 or 8am.
I'm probaly leaving the same time or sooner. I don't know if it's feasible meeting up along the line, Would you be getting on the I-90 at some point

·
Registered
323 Posts
I will be going from Buffalo on Friday morning. Will be a boring ride to get there taking I-90. We can meet up in the Tonawandas or Pembroke Service station if you like.
That sounds good, I plan on taking the I-90 to get there as soon as possible, maybe getting a ride in down there later in the day. As for the Ontario riders, maybe we can meet up at my place in St Catharines (only 1 Km from the QEW)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hoping to avoid interstates :) That may change as the time gets closer but my experience on them is very limited and there just seems to be much nicer roads to ride!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Neva 14...

This will be my 3d NEVA outing . The small group I will be riding with will leave from Newmarket on Wednesday , 30 July , pick up another rider in Peterborough , and wind our way to Lake placid for an overnight .
Last year , I set up a GPS route using TYRE , with the map set to the greatest magnification , so I could choose from the faintest lines on the map . Thus , every turn was a crapshoot , every road a wonderful surprise , which often had Philstrom and I shouting with glee in our helmets .
We crossed at Kingston , on the Wolfe Island ferry , and travelled briskly on the slowest route possible .
If I recall , Phil , with his injured ankle ( not my fault - HE chose that day's route ) , only declined one road - south of Port Perry , where the pavement became a goat track , and disappeared into the forest .

Alex

·
Registered
51 Posts
That sounds good, I plan on taking the I-90 to get there as soon as possible, maybe getting a ride in down there later in the day. As for the Ontario riders, maybe we can meet up at my place in St Catharines (only 1 Km from the QEW)
I coming from Listowel, Ontario. Last year I met up with blaustrom, and rode the I90.

I still waiting to see if I can have Thursday afternoon and Friday off, if that is the case I will ride to Ottawa on Thursday afternoon (parents live there) and head out Friday from there. If I only get Friday, I will likely follow same route as last year.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like the idea of crossing on the ferry! Never done that before and the thousand islands bridge looks like it could be a handful on a windy day!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I crossed upper NYS last year in my van guided by a tomtom and it really was both entertaining and reasonably fast

tomtom made ot a silo tour as it avoided most villages even.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I crossed upper NYS last year in my van guided by a tomtom and it really was both entertaining and reasonably fast

tomtom made ot a silo tour as it avoided most villages even.
I have been messing around with the copilot GPS app and I think I am going to purchase the full version. It seems pretty impressive. you can create your own routes and even import from google maps(although it's a bit tricky).

·
Registered
712 Posts
Tenny80,

You have a much easier way of it to get there. You just need to somehow work your way through the Adirondacks, not an unpleasant thing to do. Those poor guys from Western Ontario will have to show much more dedication and spend a lot more time on the slab to get there. They'll either ride through Toronto and then several more hours of 401 to just get to where you start, or the slightly less evil route via Buffalo and many miles of I90. If they take the US route, I don't see many ways for you to hook up unless you forgo a nice ride and meet them in Syracuse and suffer some of the I90 with them. Have a look at the map.

Now that I'm back in Ottawa, I'm much closer to, say, Massachusetts than I was when I lived near Bowmanville, but I still don't know if I'll make this event. Right now I can't commit the time and money with unknown income prospects ahead.

Marc

·
Registered
712 Posts
I like the idea of crossing on the ferry! Never done that before and the thousand islands bridge looks like it could be a handful on a windy day!
You want a handful on a rainy windy day? Continue East on the 401 and cross into the States at the bottom of 416 (near Prescott) to Ogdensburg. That bridge has an open metal grate as a riding surface. It's a bit squirmy like riding gravel, but you know it will really really hurt if you fall. Great fun. Really!

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Ferries are bike-friendly

tenny80, my Wee-Strom has travelled on several ferries: Napanee ON, Northumberland Strait PEI->NS, to and from Newfoundland, onto and off Ocracoke Island, Williamsburg VA to Scotland (sounds like a long trip, doesn't it -- half a mile), over the Mississippi in Louisiana, Chichimaun from Tobermory ON to Manitoulin, and of course Tsawwassan to Vancouver Island. And others.

Without exception, ferry personnel are kind to bikers - "Load that first so you can tie down while we are loading cars and trucks" - "You are at the bow, so please exit first", and of course "Free beer for all bikers".

OK, I get two out of three for the previous paragraph. Please bring a ratchet cable, and run it from the right footpeg over the seat to a tie-point left of the bike. If you know better, take your advice and not mine.

I hope to ride from GTA to NEVA, but a few things need to come together before I can know for sure. Perhaps I will see you in Barrie in about 75 days, and discuss that ride with you.

Keith

·
Registered
170 Posts
camping at NEVA 2014

I attended last years and it was a great time. This year adds the camping aspect so another reason to buy more gear:thumbup:
Start new job this spring so hope getting the time off will not be a problem.
I will be crossing Ogdensburg and running down through the Adirondacks, what a great ride:hurray:
So when the time gets close anyone from Ottawa making the trip PM me if you want to ride together.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tenny80,

You have a much easier way of it to get there. You just need to somehow work your way through the Adirondacks, not an unpleasant thing to do. Those poor guys from Western Ontario will have to show much more dedication and spend a lot more time on the slab to get there. They'll either ride through Toronto and then several more hours of 401 to just get to where you start, or the slightly less evil route via Buffalo and many miles of I90. If they take the US route, I don't see many ways for you to hook up unless you forgo a nice ride and meet them in Syracuse and suffer some of the I90 with them. Have a look at the map.

Now that I'm back in Ottawa, I'm much closer to, say, Massachusetts than I was when I lived near Bowmanville, but I still don't know if I'll make this event. Right now I can't commit the time and money with unknown income prospects ahead.

Marc
I have looked at the map, that's why I said I wasn't taking i90 lol.

Hope you can make it! Costs are an issue for me as well but I don't think this trip will be to bad. Camping fees are only 30 bucks and then gas and food. Might have a beer or twenty lol

·
Registered
712 Posts
Hope you can make it! Costs are an issue for me as well but I don't think this trip will be to bad. Camping fees are only 30 bucks and then gas and food. Might have a beer or twenty lol
I am not making the call now, and hope I can make camping arrangements later if I decide to go. It does sound like a good time. A beer or twenty is about right...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts