StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 03 DL1000 up to Targhee National Forest today to have some fun while the wife was at a bridal shower. I hit up every ATV/dirtbike road I could find, and I had an absolute blast (I think my Maxxis Presa Detour's were a little outmatched, but I made it out ok). In fact, while I was having lunch at a trail crossroads, a few ATV'ers drove by and asked, "How the heck did you get that thing up here?" Made me smile.

Anyway, as I was riding home, I did a wimpy downshift into first. The gears gave their little grinding noise, as they often do when I don't put some good oomph into the downshift from 2nd to 1st, and from that point, my neutral light went nuts.

It reads neutral just fine, but it also comes on in every other gear. It's not solid, though- it is very vibe-dependent. When I cruise at 2.5k rpm in fourth, for example, it's not on, but if I open the throttle, it will flicker and then become more consistent. It also reads on when I start the bike and have the clutch in while it's in first.

Any ideas on what could have happened? Is my electrical system dying? (My heated grip switch broke the other day, and I've been having some startup hesitation with the starter button) Was my rowdy, raucous romp through the muddy, bumpy hills the cause of some electrical connection failing? Is it serious, or can I just ignore it? (My OD light has never worked and the bike runs fine)

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Does it have TRE

The plug from the gear reporting switch is like right under the back of the tank.

IF you never have seen the O/D then this reporting including the neutral light is screwed up or there is a tre

Either way cleap up the wires/ plugs under the tank., minimally unplug and plug the connectors

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the previous owner (one of the two) put a TRE on it. I've ridden it 2500 miles without seeing the O/D light or having this neutral problem. I cleaned the connectors when I first bought it... do I need to do it again?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
The tre I used used a transistor I think to switch so the neutral light would work. There was 1 NPN and 2 resistors.

So this where I would look also if anything hung down the rear exhaust will melt it... ask me how I know:furious:

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welp, pulled the seat off today and, lo and behold, one of the wires leading out of the TRE was melted onto the exhaust. I separated it from the manifold, but the light stayed on. What should I do now?

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
If its a plug in I would just eliminate it and make sure the problem went away

Depending how the tre was constructed you may have roasted something as the exhaust is a ground so there was some shorting out somewhere.

If it can go back to stock do that as a starting point. If you don't have sacred electronic robes then I would just buy another tre and call it a day. Zip tieing everything up. There is a write up for build your own tre that I used in VSRI worked fine. Parts at Radio shack bag of transistors, another resistors and a little wire like $12 worth of stuff.

Make sure that the original SUZI stuff all works as something was shorted directly into the ECU<<<< BAD JUJU

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So then, out of curiosity, what effect does the TRE have on my bike? I read somewhere that they only affect Euro spec DL1000's? (probably not true, please correct me)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rode the bike to work today (30 degrees without proper cold gear! MMM!!!), and the neutral light did what it was supposed to do and didn't come on when it wasn't supposed to. It flashed from the 1st-2nd upshift, but stayed dark after that.

No other running issues that I have encountered... is it possible the problem has just gone away and that everything is fine so long as I keep the wires away from the exhaust?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts