StromTrooper banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set off on the journey to replace my chain, I opened the mailbox on Monday to see my bright and shiny new chain that I ordered -- I embarked on the quest to remove the old chain and get my new chain set up.

I broke out the trusty dremel and put on its finest cutting blades and go off on a mission to remove the old worn out chain, I had a moment of silence before I inserted my 13000 RPM spinning wheel of cutting power in to my poor old chain.

Once I got back in to the mind set that I was ready to do this I got distracted or over thought that something could possibly go wrong and I might need the old chain on the bike for the time being.

The old chain is officially cut off and I have a sigh of relief and think "Well that was easy..." -- Little did I know what would be lurking for me in the shadows.

I lay out my new EK 525 SRX 120 Link chain and start counting the links, 1... 2... 50... 55.. 110.... 119.... Over and over again to make sure I got this right, I finally get confident with cutting it and I decide that I need to cut off 2 links in order to make it 118 links all the together with the master link.

I begin to dremel down the mushroom tits off the link that I need to cut from, I get the left side down, I flip it over to start on the opposite side and in my haste I had over looked what pins I should be grinding down and I start to grind in to the next link down, I get a tiny bit in to the rivet when I realize my mistake... I let loose a flurry of foul expletives that would make a hardened sailor blush like a school girl, After my diatribe of verbal vomit against myself I think oh well this is just a learning curve, so I decide that it is not very deep in to the rivet so I will go forth and put the chain on so I can at least nurse my baby back to my house after working on it, I get the master link installed and get her all tightened up to specification, Take her for a spin and marvel at how quite the new chain is compared to the OEM one, No longer do I hear the chain!

I am happy that I had the learning experience of installing a new chain even if it did cost me 130$ extra, because I was careless. I nurse the bike back home to cover her up and let her sleep for a few days until I get my new chain in the mail so we can do the same song and dance all over again but this time I promise to be extra gentle with her! :biggrinjester:

What a journey it has been, I am now staring at the same checkout cart of the online retailer that I ordered from 5 days previously, I am thinking that who ever fills my order is probably going to think this guy is a dumb ass because I am ordering the exact same parts again.

The moral of this story is that always, quadruple check! Hell check until you know absolutely what you are cutting! It was bound to happen I guess, Live and learn right?

So if anyone wants to buy a brand new chain that can be cut down to 116 link for way under MSRP just let me know because I can't see this chain going to waste when a possible older pre '07 or Vee owner might be able to use it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why not use a chain tool?

I may be behind the times (my other chain driven bike is 43 year old) but can't modern chains also be changed with a chain tool? I'm used to the kind that presses the pin most of the way out allowing for the chain to separate. I hopefully won't need one on me Wee for many miles.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If the head of the riveted steel pin isn't ground off, it can damage the chain tool. The tool easily pushes out the headless pin.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be behind the times (my other chain driven bike is 43 year old) but can't modern chains also be changed with a chain tool? I'm used to the kind that presses the pin most of the way out allowing for the chain to separate. I hopefully won't need one on me Wee for many miles.
Sure it can, but a Dremel was easier to come by than a chain breaking tool, I will add a breaker and a riveter to my collection soon enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts