Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was given a great opportunity to trial a set of Nelson-Riggs top of the line adventure luggage, and I will just say that "the bags did not disappoint". The big test was my recent 5 thousand miles West trip, which included some pretty gnarly off road conditions and me going down "3 times". These bags are TOUGH, and I had zero damage or failures of any kind. NO plastic buckles on these bags, they use aircraft grade aluminum adjustable locking mechanisms and aluminum slide buckles. The bags also come with an internal stiffener option, which I have found to work extremely well. They have been totally waterproof, and that was also thoroughly tested on that trip. They also include nice removable inner bags as well, that came in really handy while camping and hitting the hotels. Nice padded backing for each bag as extra protection and stability for pannier rack mounting, and the number of straps available for securing the bags is very convenient. The other feature I really like is the long adjustable top straps for mounting smaller dry bags on top of each bag. I had these bags really loaded up, they also don't sag or droop at all on my Motech racks. They look bad ass and perform bad ass, and IMHO there may not be a better set of bags like this at "any price point", and NR also has one of the best warranty and customer service in the industry.

Here is the link to the bags, and I will also attach a few pics from the trip..........THANKS Nelson-Rigg for allowing me to test and keep these amazing bags, you have a real winner here!!!

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/dual-sport-adventure/deluxe-adventure-dry-saddlebags-detail.html

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've got some older NR bags, not even sure what the model # is, they are a great value for the $. The NR bags you reviewed are on my short list for new bags.

·
Super Moderator
16,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got some older NR bags, not even sure what the model # is, they are a great value for the $. The NR bags you reviewed are on my short list for new bags.
Doubt you will be sorry, PM me with any questions or feel free to post here.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
For "TRUE" adventure riding, I think the soft bags like BigB reviews here are very hard to beat. They hold plenty, and they can be strapped tightly so they don't bounce and rattle in rough terrain. The biggest factor for me is that they don't rip your %$^& leg off if you get it trapped under them in a rut. Or when the bike takes a nap on you. While the aluminum adventure cases are nice in many ways, they don't like hard wrecks too much. Much harder to get them to stick on the bike after being torn off in the middle of nowhere. Each has advantages. A good rack under the soft bags makes all the difference.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thank you for your post. Our new Deluxe Adventure dry saddlebags are becoming favorites with all types of rider on all types of bikes. Thank you for your support.
We have more information on our sponsor page
Here are a couple of quick videos showing you more on these bags.
Don't forget all forum members receive a 10% discount with free shipping on all Nelson Rigg and Rigg Gear products. Use coupon code stromtrooper upon checkout.

·
Super Moderator
16,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For "TRUE" adventure riding, I think the soft bags like BigB reviews here are very hard to beat. They hold plenty, and they can be strapped tightly so they don't bounce and rattle in rough terrain. The biggest factor for me is that they don't rip your %$^& leg off if you get it trapped under them in a rut. Or when the bike takes a nap on you. While the aluminum adventure cases are nice in many ways, they don't like hard wrecks too much. Much harder to get them to stick on the bike after being torn off in the middle of nowhere. Each has advantages. A good rack under the soft bags makes all the difference.
I KNOW this from first hand experience, my first off was a total surprise and I went down hard.......my left leg was trapped under my soft bag with full weight of bike, had that been my Motech pannier, there would've been an airlift called in NO DOUBT.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I KNOW this from first hand experience, my first off was a total surprise and I went down hard.......my left leg was trapped under my soft bag with full weight of bike, had that been my Motech pannier, there would've been an airlift called in NO DOUBT.

Yea hard boxes will hurt you off-road.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Bag Help?

I really dont know anything about bags / side mounting bags. I saw that you use the Pannier mounts, which are on the pricer side of what I want to spend. Do you think you could use these with other side mounting systems like Givi PL3101CAM?

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I really dont know anything about bags / side mounting bags. I saw that you use the Pannier mounts, which are on the pricer side of what I want to spend. Do you think you could use these with other side mounting systems like Givi PL3101CAM?

You just need some sort of support on the left especially to keep it out of the wheel.

I have the Precision Motorcycle Racks on my Gen 2 650. They are <$100.

·
Registered
117 Posts
As Spec correctly answered, you just need something to support your bags. We have seen everything from the most expensive european racks to inexpensive home made PVC pipe racks. All did in essence the same job. Here is how our bags connect to racks.

As you can see, very universal and solid! Please let us know if you have any further questions.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Luggage bar

If you don't go on rutted roads, a simple luggage bar (Dan Vessel) did the trick on my V1 DL650 VStrom. If you were closer, I'd give it to you for a small donation to the site, but postage on that odd shaped thing would be too much. It's on a local sales board if you want to see a photo (tried to load but couldn't get around the "no entry" sign.)
It attaches to the footrest and a bolthole in the rear mudguard. Kept my left Nelson Rigg large bag out of the wheel. It looks stock. The right bag rests on the muffler shield.
On my V2 650DL I have precision racks which work very well and are relatively cheap,
https://www.pmracks.com/products.php?id=11
Cheers,
Traveler

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
" they don't rip your %$^& leg off if you get it trapped under them in a rut."

I can vouch that the hard plastic, Sea Horse, can crush your leg at no miles an hour. Big time Ow!
The soft bags would have diminished the effect, I hope!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts