Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread will be for reviews and comments about the Nelson Rigg CL-1050 Adventure Touring Tank Bag

I purchased this bag from Chaparral Motorsports in March on 2014. At that time it was a somewhat new product from Nelson Riggs. I purchased it on sale for $57.99 with free shipping with purchases over $100.

First impressions: I have just taken this out of the box and have not attempted to attach it to the bike. I did stuff it with towels and held in on the tank to get an idea of fitment.

The following are very subjective personal opinions. Feel free to have your own. I have a very old commercial Singer sewing machine and have modified a number of outdoor products to better fit my needs so while not expert by any means, I do know a little about how things might work.

The Good:

Price: Wow, no one sells a tank bag for $57. Biggest selling point!

Rain cover included and the rain cover has a clear top so you can still see the map. Many bag manufacturers charge extra for a rain cover and then are all fabric so you lose the ability to see the map. (For whatever manufacturing reason, mine came with two rain covers. So if you bought one and yours is missing……I have it).

Lifetime Warranty – Can’t fault that!! Bonus.

The bag is decently made. Straight seams, bar tacks for strength in stress areas.

The fabric, while not the most stout of nylon is appropriate for the job and I was surprised to find that the material is coated on the back so it should be decently water resistant. The zippers are standard no-name brand zippers and are not the waterproof type so that is probably where water would first become problematic.

The size of the bag works well for someone who plans on riding standing up when off-pavement. It’s is not to wide and at full lock the handlebars do not come close to touching the sides of the bag. So no accidental horn beeps in parking lots. For long distance touring I think with it expanded it would be about just right. Non-expanded it seems somewhat small. Especially with the concerns mentioned below.

There are attachment points at all four corners. Some tank bags only have one attachment point at the back (riders side) of the tank and the bags flop all over off-road. Way annoying. This bag appropriately has four. Thanks!

The Not So Good (I will admit right up front that I am picky)

Most tank bags have at least some type of miscellaneous pockets, pen/pencil elastic loops and a key clip on the inside of the top. This has nothing on the inside. No pockets (except the map pocket) nothing.

The map pocket is accessed from the inside and consists of a velcro closure. I much prefer a zipper as velcro wants to re-connect when fumbling trying to stuff a map inside the pocket. This would be an annoyance to me.
Also inside the map pocket is a space for a cell phone. The space seems really deep to me (I measured it at 7/8 of an inch deep. My Galaxy S3 is heavy enough and the map pocket fabric light enough that, unless the inside bag was really full the phone would sink down into the bag and it would be difficult to push the plastic map cover down hard enough to use any of the phone buttons.

Here’s a picture of the inside top of the bag:

My strongest criticism is where the attachments points are on all four corners. They are not sewn to the bottom of the bag but up the sides about 2 inches from the bottom welting. The bottoms of the D rings are at the welting but the webbing they are sewn to is sewn 2 inches above the welting. What’s the big deal you ask? When you strap the bag onto the bike and cinch it down so it doesn’t move around the bag will collapse to the stitching point. Since the bag is only 9 inches tall closest to the rider and 5 inches at the other end of the bag, you effectively lose a considerable % of storage space in what is already a rather small bag. All of the other tank bags they make are sewn with quick release buckles sewn to the bottom of the bags. Why change a good thing???? Here are pictures of what I’m talking about. The red arrows are where I think the D rings should be attached at:

Another thing I don’t like is that the sides of the bag are not stiff. It feels like there is about 1/4inch closed cell pad sewn into the sides, but it is very flimsy stuff. So unless the bag is stuffed full the bag is going to look very….floppy?, wrinkled? not sure what to call it. But it certainly won’t look anything like the promo pictures. The cheap Motopax tank bag I’m trying to replace has nice 1/16” abs plastic band supporting the entire bag so it always looks good and is easy to find what I’m looking for because it’s not all falling in on itself. If I keep this bag, I will try to replicate that stiffener.

This floppy nature of the bag impacts the usability of the front pocket which is the only pocket on the bag. When I stuffed the bag full the pocket was taken over by the main compartment squishing in on the pocket. I think sunglasses would get bent if placed in the pocket.

The other criticism may be from my lack of experience, but I’ll share it. The bag is designed to have clips attach to the D rings. Once attached and cinched down, I’m sure they will work fine in keeping the bag in place. The problem is when fueling the bike. You will have to loosen the straps then un-snap the clips, which are pretty snug and I doubt could be easily undone with gloves on. I would much prefer quick release buckles, the kind you pinch the two sides and it comes apart. This is what my current bag has and it is really quick to release the buckles and re-connect them without loosening and tightening the straps. Maybe a small point, but I just don’t like things that don’t work as smoothly as another concept. Not sure why they went this route, but I’m sure they feel it’s a better design. I just disagree.

I’ve already admitted I have not used the bag yet. That said, the fabric used on the bottom of the bag concerns me. It just feels as if it will pick up dust and grit and scratch the tank. I don’t know what other bags use except my Motopax bag which uses closed cell foam, is easy to clean and very smooth. Just not sure what to think about this fabric. It has a diamond pattern to it instead of being completely smooth. So put this in the “wait and see” column.

Right now……I’m considering sending the bag back. For the reasons above, especially the reduced size do to the attachment points. I specifically wanted a little bit larger bag than what I currently have because I intend on adding a hydration bladder inside the bag. If I keep the bag, I will probably completely modify it by sewing Quick Release buckles to nylon webbing attached at the very bottom corners of the bag. However I hate to do that to a new bag and I sure it would void the lifetime warranty that the bag comes with.

Probably more than $.02 worth, but I’ve benefited from others reviews of products and thought I’d share mine.

Tim

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
nice write-up

it seems the bag is worth about what it costs.

The problems you mentioned wouldn't work for me. I've had alot of bags over the years to work out what I like and don't like. For me, the biggies are

mount: tanklock >>> magnetic > strap

Sidewall stiffness is very important, but that is easily remedied by going to a fabric store for some appropriately stiff plastic sheets, which are cut to shape as stiffeners. ( like this EZ Template Plastic 12"x 18" Extra Thick ) You could easily stiffen up this bag if you choose to keep it.

Ease of fueling- tanklock bags are fantastic, straps are hard to deal with.

map window- where I keep my electronics. For me that means it has to be a certain size and shape. But in general I've grown to absolutely hate bags that do not allow at least a single panel of a regular map to be displayed.

Raincover: attached is best so it doesn't blow away. The clear window is nice. But the most important attribute is whether it stays on at speed. Some bags the wind blows up under the cover and tries to blow it off. The very best raincovers let a little air in underneath to form a little bit of tent effect, which keeps your stuff drier. But in a downpour I keep a trashbag handy for extra protection.

From your description, the D ring problem is a deal killer, everything else is fixable. Can you re-sew the attachment points?

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
I got the same tank bag. To me the mounting is not a big deal. Since it is a strap mount I put it on my other bike, a BMW G650GS. Fits perfectly and the strap arrangement, though strange, works fine.
I've had a gob of different tank bags wear out over the years and this one will do for the use I put it to. Holds my water bladder and a handful of other things I typically throw in the tank bag. And it's damned handsome too!
I have a magnetic bag on the Wee, Joe Rocket POS that works really well there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
madchap:
My CL-1050 arrived 2 days ago. Since it is dead Winter here, I just opened the box to verify what was in it then tossed it on my workbench in the garage. After reading your review, I took a closer look today.
I agree with almost everything you said, however I don't think the "cons" will affect my satisfaction.
The velcro access to the map pocket is the same as my other 2 tankbags so that's something I'm used to.
I haven't tried to fit the bag to the bike yet, but I think the attachment location of the front "D" rings is OK. I think the front straps will be pulling more forward than down on the D rings and not compromising the capacity. You may very well be correct, I just haven't scoped it out that closely.
I do wish the sides were more rigid but I'll be using the bag mostly on trips so it will be "full".
I was going to get a Bags Connection model larger than the one I have, but it is 4x the cost of the NR. I'll try to make this one work.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I've spent about 10 hours working on the tank bag to make it work for me. I've relocated the four attachment points to the locations I mentioned in my original post. What a difference in usable size that makes. But what a pain to actually stitch down into the bottom corners. Had to be all done by hand. I changed the front attachment straps to quick release instead of the clip style so I can quickly release the bag to refuel.

Next I've wired the bag using an SAE socket found here:

73 SAE Connectors, Plugs, Sockets & Cords

Now I'm waiting on my hydration bladder and connectors to come in. It's going to be a great hydration system once completely installed. I'll have quick disconnects for the outside drinking tube. It will also be completely refillable through the tube so that once in the tank bag it will not have to be removed to refill. Also the tube will be attached to the bag with a Gear Keeper retractable lanyard so just let go of the tube and it retracts back alongside the bag. I'll post up pictures with it's all done.

Interesting that Nelson Rigg has posted on all the other "bag" threads, but has not commented on mine.......Hmmmm, maybe I hit on something they already know about their bag. I'm guessing their next production run will change the attachment points.

What say you Nelson Rigg?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for your review and comments. Its always good to get feed back. It really helps us evolve and improve on our designs. Seems like you have really modded your bag and would love to see some photos. As for your comment of the placement of our "D" rings in the front of the bag, we wanted to keep them from coming in contact with the tank. Yes we included flap but we did this to be cautious. Thank you again.

So far I've spent about 10 hours working on the tank bag to make it work for me. I've relocated the four attachment points to the locations I mentioned in my original post. What a difference in usable size that makes. But what a pain to actually stitch down into the bottom corners. Had to be all done by hand. I changed the front attachment straps to quick release instead of the clip style so I can quickly release the bag to refuel.

Next I've wired the bag using an SAE socket found here:

73 SAE Connectors, Plugs, Sockets & Cords

Now I'm waiting on my hydration bladder and connectors to come in. It's going to be a great hydration system once completely installed. I'll have quick disconnects for the outside drinking tube. It will also be completely refillable through the tube so that once in the tank bag it will not have to be removed to refill. Also the tube will be attached to the bag with a Gear Keeper retractable lanyard so just let go of the tube and it retracts back alongside the bag. I'll post up pictures with it's all done.

Interesting that Nelson Rigg has posted on all the other "bag" threads, but has not commented on mine.......Hmmmm, maybe I hit on something they already know about their bag. I'm guessing their next production run will change the attachment points.

What say you Nelson Rigg?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts