StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all: I have read many stromers like the Nelson-Rigg side bags. I have a few questions concerning them.

1. I see they will end up laying against the mufflers on the DL1000. Is this a problem? Do they make any sort of hardware to keep them off the mufflers? How do they actually mount?

3. Are they water proof? or at least water resistant?

4. When empty, do they have internal structure to keep them formed properly?

They look great and I love the price. Thanks, Chris.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
SB-900 have internal supports to keep them formed. The lay over the bick and have staps to tie them to the bike. They have rain covers but without them are not water resistant. Others have used them on DL1000 without supports (do a search on SB-900). The CL-850 is the replacement, and is very similar, but different, do a seach for CL-850 as Stromette has them and had the SB-900 and has some good comparison info.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you happen to look at their web page? I did, and most of your questions are answered there.
Yes. But I was interested in real-world experiences with the bags - should have been clear.

My biggest worry is having fabric laying against the exhaust pipes.

·
Adventure Boy®
282 Posts
Hi all: I have read many stromers like the Nelson-Rigg side bags. I have a few questions concerning them.

1. I see they will end up laying against the mufflers on the DL1000. Is this a problem? Do they make any sort of hardware to keep them off the mufflers? How do they actually mount?

3. Are they water proof? or at least water resistant?

4. When empty, do they have internal structure to keep them formed properly?

They look great and I love the price. Thanks, Chris.
1. Most report no problem. The spongy shields may deform a tad where they contact the cans. I had one long fast run at elevated temperatures that left some heat-shield bits on the stock DL1000 cans, but it cleaned off okay. The newer bags have an improved shield. I haven't heard any negative reports on them. (DL650 heat shield is more effective)

Mounting: you can drape them over the seat and there are quick-disconnect tie-downs part way down to keep them from flopping about. I tie-wrap the motorcycle half of the disconnects to the bike to keep them secure between uses.

3. The covers are a layer of protection against dirt and rain, but will not protect 100% against a day long downpour at speed. Water will eventually seep in the back or around the cover. You should always pack electronics, dry clothes, or valuables in plastic no matter what bags you have.

4. Yes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts