StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They first quoted me a OTD price with a rebate of $9274.

MSRP $8549.00
$500 Rebate
$8049.00 for the bike
Tax 342
Destination 350
Assembly 280
Processing Fee 235
Title 18
OTD: $9274

Then I told them I wanted 0% financing and they jacked the price up $500 to $9800. This is the out the door price. Looking at it, it looks like they are trying to charge me MSRP. How much off of MSRP do you think I should ask? I already know they are going to charge me about $1200 in fees (BS!).

What do you think my next move should be? I am not sure if I am going to miss out on 0% or not since the promotion ended today. If I do, I am walking.

They also made a mathematical error which made them look stupid, so I sort of feel like I have the upper hand here.

I am almost thinking I should say I am willing to pay them out the door $8500 and not a penny more with zero % financing. Otherwise, bye.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Maybe they didn't explain it very well, but the dealer isn't "jacking the price up" $500. If you look at the Suzuki fine print, it's EITHER a cash rebate OR 0% financing. You get to take your pick on that one. You're not likely going to win the negotiation asking for both. Pick which one of those you want, then negotiate on the price and other fees. You're probably not going to get out of taxes and title fees, so that leaves destination, assembly, processing fees, and MSRP to dicker over. Also understand that there's no such thing as free financing. You're going to pay for it somewhere.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Take a look at other dealer offerings on cycle trader. Ask them if they're willing to price match with another dealer in your area. Call around to find what fees others charge.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I was able to negotiate back down to $9100 out the door with 0% financing. What do you guys think? They seem anxious. Should I ask for anything else?

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
If you will expect service from the same dealer it's more about building a good working relationship than the cheapest purchase price. If you don't have a good relationship or good feeling with the dealer and like the shop mechanic then keep shopping.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
You might get them to install any farkles you intend to add anyway.
For myself, that would be a center stand and hand guards....

·
Registered
627 Posts
Destination 350
Assembly 280
Processing Fee 235
All that needs to be dropped off, it's BS.

Ask them to show you where Suzuki charged them $350 to ship the bike to them.

Assembly is garbage, the bike's come 90% assembled in the crage and the lowest paid mechanic in the place is who takes it out of the crate and maybe spends an hour putting the handlebars on, hopefully checking fluid levels, etc. He's getting something like $20 and they want to charge you $280?

Processing fee is garbage from the Finance Manager, don't pay more than $50 for them to "process" your deal...which means just spending maybe 20 minutes typing up your paperwork and signing you up.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
They first quoted me a OTD price with a rebate of $9274.

MSRP $8549.00
$500 Rebate
$8049.00 for the bike
Tax 342
Destination 350
Assembly 280
Processing Fee 235
Title 18

Then I told them I wanted 0% financing and they jacked the price up $500 to $9800. This is the out the door price. Looking at it, it looks like they are trying to charge me MSRP. How much off of MSRP do you think I should ask? I already know they are going to charge me about $1200 in fees (BS!).

What do you think my next move should be? I am not sure if I am going to miss out on 0% or not since the promotion ended today. If I do, I am walking.

They also made a mathematical error which made them look stupid, so I sort of feel like I have the upper hand here.

I am almost thinking I should say I am willing to pay them out the door $8500 and not a penny more with zero % financing. Otherwise, bye.

What do you guys think?
Sport cycle, Rockingham NC, you will get it for 8500 OTD. Call Keith. That's the Adv model..

·
Registered
491 Posts
Kurgan is right, I used to sell cars, if your credit is good, you can negotiate that crap, they will deal rather than lose a sale, be a polite hardass, they expect most people to just bend over. Remember the car deal in the movie "Fargo"? Don't be that guy...

uncaged

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
trying to think of my next move. I need him to break it down again with all fees, etc. and then I can demand him to take off some more.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with uncaged,Cryoman and Kurgan. I crashed my Wee recently (Deer oh Deer) and found great deals from dealers selling older stock (new) Vstroms on Craigs List. Maybe you could check that out, find cheaper deals and get your dealer to price match.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Looks like I am going to get this thing for $7730 OTD with no down payment and 4%. I am pretty happy with it.
If you are getting a ride to the dealership, have that person stay with you until everything is signed and done.

It's not uncommon for unscrupulous dealers to try some crap when you're there to pick it up. You've seen the bike, you've been dropped off or have your truck/trailer, and if they bump the overall price or raise the interest level on the loan and somehow justify it...and they've got a better than 50/50 chance the customer will be mad, but will pay the higher price just because they want this process over with and they want the bike!

Anything is off, tell them they can put the deal back to $7,730 and 4%, with nothing out of pocket, not one penny, or you will buy elsewhere, even out of state.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you are getting a ride to the dealership, have that person stay with you until everything is signed and done.

It's not uncommon for unscrupulous dealers to try some crap when you're there to pick it up. You've seen the bike, you've been dropped off or have your truck/trailer, and if they bump the overall price or raise the interest level on the loan and somehow justify it...and they've got a better than 50/50 chance the customer will be mad, but will pay the higher price just because they want this process over with and they want the bike!

Anything is off, tell them they can put the deal back to $7,730 and 4%, with nothing out of pocket, not one penny, or you will buy elsewhere, even out of state.
Yep....great advice!

·
Registered
491 Posts
If your happy thats all that counts. I've seen new '12 650's for 6 grand, they are around...

uncaged

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just remember - the dealer doesn't make a profit - then he isn't in business of too long and your service and support is gone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
get online and call Romney Cycles in West Virginia. They will give you an OTD price that will exclude your own state's taxes and tag/registration fee.

That'll get you on a more level playing field for haggling. Especially if you can get there. I usually get on Cycle Trader and check within 150 miles around and call all the dealers asking for prices. Then whittle them down til you get one.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
get online and call Romney Cycles in West Virginia. They will give you an OTD price that will exclude your own state's taxes and tag/registration fee...
Yeah, I agree. Another nice thing about Romney (though I haven't bought there) is that they told me they could print a new Virginia title, though they are a West Virginia dealer. I think they told me, or that I read elsewhere (probably here), that they can print new titles for other (surrounding?) states too. That's meaningful to me. Nice to leave the dealership, bike or auto, with the titling paperwork done and new tags on. One less thing...

:yesnod:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Second this!

get online and call Romney Cycles in West Virginia. They will give you an OTD price that will exclude your own state's taxes and tag/registration fee.
We live in Delaware, and Romney Cycles first price quote beat ALL the dealers in the tri-state area. We have to drive 4 hours to get our White 2015 DL650, but it is well worth it save almost $900.00!

They have a great selection of new DL650s, m.y. 2015-2016.

As stated, Romney only charges for a $12.00 W.V. temporary tag (trip permit) so you can legally ride the bike home. It is up to you to pay your State taxes and registration fees once you get home.

(No affiliation to this dealer except as a customer)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts