StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Strom'ers
I need to hear your opinions about “dirtbike style” under clothing armor.
The current armor in jacket & overpants just isn't working for me (I have had a 25C temp change during a ride) I have to layer & un-layer a lot and I can't haul my whole closet with me.
I am looking very hard at Bohn SuperMoto Air Armored Shirt & Bodyguard (maybe Cool-Air) Adventure Pants.
I would also like to hear opinions on other Bohn armor shirts , O'Neal Racing Underdog & Hellraiser Body Armor , Thor Motocross Impact Rig SE , High Velocity Gear JUGGERNAUT slimline , and Alpinestars Bionic 2 Protection Jacket.
I have decided to go ATGATT and I need hot weather armor to wear always and layer the outside for weather changes.
Priority #1 comfortable ( so I always wear it)
Priority #2 effective ( so I walk away, I hope)
Priority #3 suitable for HOT weather & under outer clothing

Your thoughts & experiences ?
Howard

·
Registered
490 Posts
I live in Kamloops, BC. Summer commutes can be 10 C in the morning and 40 c in the afternoon. I use a mesh jacket (Tourmaster Air Intake 2) and pants (Olympia Airglide) - both with armour. Liners in on the ride to work, out on the ride home. More ventilation than dirt bike armour with more abrasion protection. The system works for me, whether commuting or on longer tours for the last 30,000 Km. raingear over top for total package in all conditions.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I wear Bohn and although it appears that it will tear easily, I found it not the case. I have had it several years and one get off and it worked well. I landed hard on my hip and not even a bruise. Consider chest and back protection. Most serious injuries are due to blunt trauma.

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1 on the Olympia Airglide pants and what Yak said.

I have yet to find a mesh jacket that I like, so continue to use my Joe Rocket Ballistic jacket and when it is cool in the morning wear another layer. It is a little warm when it gets hot outside, but only when you are not moving.

·
Registered
188 Posts
EVS ballistic jersey for when it is SCORCHING out. Fieldsheer mesh jacket and pants for when it's simply HOT.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I have a lot of dirt bike armor that has never seen street use. I don't ride in the dirt without it, but I prefer purpose built street gear for the road. My opinion is dirt gear is great for initial impact, but not so good sliding along on asphalt. I had a significant motocross crash where I slid down the side of a mountain. Some of the gear shifted around during the slide giving me some great track rash. I think the gear would have been really torn up had it been on pavement. Dirt gear for dirt, street gear for street.

As far as hot weather I like my Fieldsheer 4-season mesh pants and the Fieldsheer mesh jacket is amazingly light and airy.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Spine armor is the most important in addition to a good helmet. You can' live without a head or without a spine. I've bought some very good thick foam armor to replace the skimpy 1/4" foam stuff in some brands of coats.

No problem here with armor in the coat as long as the ventilation is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts