StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kept scuffing up the plastic and decided to make my 650 a naked bike.

Got myself an acewell md052 and for the last several months been trying to figure out the wiring on my own but reading wiring diagrams is not my strong suit.

I need to know which wires are which on the bike's harness. Any tech wizards willing to help out?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Work backwards from the known items listed on the wiring diagram, like bulbs / ignition / regulator / battery / etc, depending on what you are working on. The wires are color coded to help for identification / tracing purposes. The color code chart is normally at the bottom corner of the wiring diagram. Locating the connectors is often confusing. Exactly how the wring harness is routed, would require more details on the bike, for example, make / model / year / country of manufacture.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Have you located the connectors above the radiator? As previously suggested, work backward from the known / identified item, back to the connector. The colors of the leads are in your diagram. There is also a male connector point on the rear of the speedo cluster / clocks assembly, where the harness plugs into the physical assembly. There are a few threads / topics that may still have a few pix of the speedo removal with or of the cluster layout, use the search facility. For example https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-dl650a-2004-2011/35527-removing-gauges.html. Have a look at the attached link in that thread as well (aka Raceratb.com).
Post #14 of https://www.stromtrooper.com/v-strom-service-maintenance-questions-discussions/65218-check-two-main-bolts-holding-front-fairing-assembly.html, shows the bolts holding the complete front fender crown assembly, if you ever need to remove it. The connectors that you have to remove will be the ones that you are going to be working with that feed connection to the gauge cluster / indicators.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im using the connectors already in place. Ive taken the instrument cluster harness, unwrapped it and cut off the connector for the old cluster.

Looking at the manual it looks like there are three wires going to the speedo sensor and the same three go to the instrument cluster. The acewell cluster only has two speedo connections.

At this point im thinking i might just get another cluster harness and cut wires one at a time to figure out what they do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I don't know the acewell products at all. I did have a look on-line at the acewell md052-201 and acewell md052-355 wiring instructions, to try understand what is involved. The speedo front wheel sender of the Wee, when spun / rotated at a speed will transmit an electrical pulse / generated voltage (similar to a stator voltage generation). Could you not perhaps lift the front wheel and test / measure the speedo wires for the voltage pulse? You could rig up power drill to rotate the wheel at a higher speed than turning by hand. You may need the assistance of a second person for the testing period.

PS to clarify the power drill usage.... hold drill against the tire to spin wheel. Just work safely and ensure direction of rotation.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Not sure how far you got with your Acewell wiring project. I did notice that the speedo wire colors, that you were interested in, are:
O/R - orange with red tracer - to speedo
P/W - pink with white tracer - to speedo
B/W - black with white tracer - to earth

I guess that you had already figured these colors out already. I think that you should get a reading, with the wheel spinning, with one lead on the earth (as a common) and the other lead on either of the other two wires. Not sure which or if one lead feeds the speedo for the speed reading and the other for the trip meter? Out of interest, would you mind posting your findings. Never know if someone else can learn from your findings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts