StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 14,000 miles 2002 V-Strom with the contengency that the transmission is not defective. Former owner thought it is "normal" so who knows how long it has been like this...

From low 2000 RPM until about 4,000 RPM I get a bad disharmonic transmission chatter (I think transmission, can be something else). Worst between 3000-3500 RPM, but only under "load"

Are there counter balancer shafts that may be out of sync?

Is there something in the clutch that wore out?

Is the out-of-synchronisation of something else causing this.

Or, is somethign seriousely "worn".

Your feedback would be MUCH appreciated.

Stromer

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Kapummm...

Yep, found out that the clutch basket with gear assembly is worn out...

Now, hope Suzuki will understand that with 14,000 miles that this should not happen, no matter if under warranty or not... I am one month pat official warranty, don't know how may miles warranty is on the V-Strom.

Any input and experiences post here.

thx,

Stromer

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Please keep us posted on what you find out. I am curious to hear about "out of warranty" failures. My V-Strom is out too, and I have about 11K on the clock. No chatter yet, but my dealer told me this weekend he has the fix for the fuel injection issue.
Brendan

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its the clutch

Many postings on the yahoo Vstrom2 group refer to "Chudder" caused by a bad clutch basket as a headache they've encountered. Based on the number of postings, many people experience this problem, but not all 'Stroms by any means.

It may be that the replacement basket is exactly the same as the stock basket and hence suffers from the same design flaws. If the bike is under warranty, many riders have gotten the dealer to replce it for free, but the repair may be pricey.

I am still trying to learn how to listen for the problem in my 'Strom, #1021.

RP

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: its the clutch

Well, Suzuki will not replace it out of warranty; I talked to two dealers. Actually, disappointing enough they said they have no problem...

So, why is then a new clutch basket design out that is on back-order...? Somebody tries to cover up.

Anyway, wasn't worth it to haggle with them much longer, bit the bullet and move on wit my own repair. Ordered the parts (approx. $270 at discount parts dealers) and will put it in myself.

If you are a bit technically inclined this is not brain surgery. You may need some help from your local dealer to get that big nut open and lightened again that holds the basket itself. But give it about with all cleaning, fluids, etc. 4 hours leisure time to fix and you are done.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: its the clutch

PS: am the "Guest" that wrote the comment above.

When I get the parts I'll document the "transplant" (probably end of July 03)

Stromer5
"input, input..."

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Clutch problems

I've been without my V-Strom for two weeks now. It was rattling and vibrating under load so I took it to my dealer. The mechanic had a ride and didn't hesitate in blaming the clutch. I'm now waiting for a new clutch basket assembly which is on back order from Japan. The bike's 10 months old and has covered 3700 miles. Luckily it's still got 14 months warranty remaining so there won't be anything to pay for this time!

Dave (Yorkshire, England)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch Problems

Go to your dealer and have them install a new clutch basket. Suzuki has made changes to reduce the problems encountered on earlier versions. It should cost about $250 to have it done.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are these all 2002 V's? I just bought a 2003 and does anyone know if they addressed the problem for this year???

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I asked the owner of the Suzuki dealer I bought mine from because I had the same concern, and he said that it was fixed for 2003 models.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my 2003 has the "chudder"

I don't think my 03 is as bad as some I have read about here but it definitely has the idle noise and the vibration between 3000-4000 rpm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts