StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried the socket yesterday and it just kept disconnecting due to the plug having a spring loaded pin at the bottom that makes it, especially when horizonally mounted,want to walk out. So, I'd like to get into the gauge face and dounle it up to the socket. I see two push pins on it but haven't taken a close look. Anyone know how to dismantle it?:confused:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Haven't pulled it yet but it may be quite simple. Two pushpin type of releases at the top and two Allen bolts at the bottom.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Careful what you wire into that socket. It’s protected by a measly 3 amp fuse. It doesn’t take much to blow it. I found that out the hard way!! You’re probably ok with the Garmin but IMHO, you’re just as well off running the Garmin straight off the battery. Save that socket for whatever ‘techie’ stuff like iPhones or MP3’s etc which is all it seems designed for. Just my 2 cents!:thumbup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
The battery on a gps can't draw more than a cell phone. The stock Apple charger is a 5w, most phones are similar. The iPad has a 10w charger for comparison.
An iPhone charging @ 12volts, (5watts) draws less than .5 amps.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The low current aux connections on newer V-Stroms are there specifically for charging GPS units or cell phones.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhh. But WHERE are they? I would love to see a pic so as to match up the connector.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have a Nuvi 550.
If you wire it directly to your battery, it will drain it in a day or so even if it is shut off. The unit stays in charge mode.
Google it, there are several forms stating this issue.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No intentions of wiring it to the battery. Has to be switched and I am pretty sure I need 5 amps.
Actually am trying to unload the 550 so I can foolishly spend too much money on a new Zumo.

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
I've always wired mine directly (fused) to the battery. When I had a garage I'd turn it off, otherrwise it was nice that the units don't shut off whenever I shut off the bike.

..Tom

PS: You might get more useful advice if you mentioned what kind of Garmin it is.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Directly the opposite and if you read the fine print in my last reply you will see the type.:yesnod:

·
Registered
600 Posts
No intentions of wiring it to the battery. Has to be switched and I am pretty sure I need 5 amps.
Actually am trying to unload the 550 so I can foolishly spend too much money on a new Zumo.
Tell me about it, I wish Garmin would get some competition...

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
I have a Nuvi 550.
If you wire it directly to your battery, it will drain it in a day or so even if it is shut off. The unit stays in charge mode.
Google it, there are several forms stating this issue.
Doesn't seem to be true for a Garmin 660 ...at least I never had any issues leaving my 660 turned off in the mount when the bike was inactive. This included several vacations where I flew south.

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
Directly the opposite and if you read the fine print in my last reply you will see the type.:yesnod:
Yes, I see that in a later message. At the time I was replying to your first message.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't seem to be true for a Garmin 660 ...at least I never had any issues leaving my 660 turned off in the mount when the bike was inactive. This included several vacations where I flew south.

..Tom
There seems to be miles of differences between the Nuvi and the Zumo, Tom. Having previously owned a Zumo I am close to paying the big bucks for another because of those differences. The Nuvi has worked well for me but the Zumo worked better. With My Nuvi plugged in or wired in, it does turn on or off with the key and, as far as I know, doesn`t do any charging with the key off.

·
Registered
191 Posts
FYI - the socket cylinder O.D. is 25mm/1" and has a connector disconnect. Here's a photo of what's behind the panel.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1400720565.141744.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK. The new Garmin is in. In the next day or so, (soon as I get the center stand mounted) I am going to pull the tank to find that aux. plug. I would like to use it as so if anyone has an idea of the part number/type I would like to get it to hunt down the proper quick connect. I will doc. the install FYI.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Went searching for that supposed female aux connector yesterday and came up empty. Even took ou the two upper bolts of the rad to pry it out some for a peek.

No such animal.
Went all the way to the tank right off. A painless procedure with all the panels and bolts easily accessible and removable. Good ol Suzuki. So, I am back to getting to the Socket outlet to tie in the Garmin. Gonna tie into it as the unit comes with a 2amp fuse. So, it'll work great. This also allows for the key as a switch to turn the unit off. Something I prefer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts