StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the Gas tank on my K5 DL1000. I am not sure the year of the donor bike but the new tank didn't have a charcoal canister vent line. I am told that my tank is supposed to vent from the gas cap. Is there a mod I can make to my current gas cap? Is there a specific year cap I should look for on ebay? Does the Wee cap work?

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Bikes of both sizes and years may or may not have one vent system or the other. California legal bikes have a tube inside the tank that connects to a canister along with an un-vented cap. Other models just have a vented cap. How do you feel about drilling small holes in the cap? It needs to pass air from any area below the gasket to any area above the gasket.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bikes of both sizes and years may or may not have one vent system or the other. California legal bikes have a tube inside the tank that connects to a canister along with an un-vented cap. Other models just have a vented cap. How do you feel about drilling small holes in the cap? It needs to pass air from any area below the gasket to any area above the gasket.
I considered drilling a hole but I am concerned about letting water into the the tank. I will take the cap back off and see how easy this would be.

Is there an easy way to identify the vented gas cap? There a quite a few for sale on eBay.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Is there an easy way to identify the vented gas cap? There a quite a few for sale on eBay.
That's a good question for somebody who has a bike with one. I do not. I imagine there is a visible hole. You might try VSRI at vstrom.info if you don't get an answer here. John Weldon has a 1000 with a vented cap and a 650 without one.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good question for somebody who has a bike with one. I do not. I imagine there is a visible hole. You might try VSRI at vstrom.info if you don't get an answer here. John Weldon has a 1000 with a vented cap and a 650 without one.
Thanks greyWolf. I can always count on you for quick well informed responses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts