StromTrooper banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the wife and I have taken a couple of long rides on the Strom and the consensus is that the stock seat is somewhat more comfortable than a two-by-six, but not by much. We're looking at the Corbin and Sargent. From the reviews, it's pretty clear that the driver would fully appreciate either, but the reviews are less complete for the passenger. I have an older (and well-broken-in) Corbin on my '77 'Wing that we both like.

My post has two purposes:

1) Can you give me a review from the passenger's perspective on either of these two seats?

2) Is there somebody local (i.e., Gresham area) that might let us sit on your Corbin or Sargent?

Until I resolve this, our poor butts are limited to about 100 miles which just isn't far enough!

Thanks,
Erich

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Erich

Not sure how much this will help but I bought a Corbin last year built to specs for 650/1000 given them by Dale Walker at Holeshot Performance Products after extensive testing/trials - both with and without his wife Liza (who is petite but gave the thumbs up) - and it also has a backrest option.

I am extremely happy as a solo rider on this saddle - many 10 hour days mostly twisties (I'm 52YO) without any trouble at all - very comfy - and drops you 1" as well into a snug little bucket with some low back support even without the backrest. Might be worth a look for ya - and Dale is such a nice guy am sure he'd be happy to offer more ideas.

at homepage go to 650 in menu then Touring Products to find it:
Holeshot Performance Products, Inc.

There's a couple good pics of its design in my albums.

Good luck!

·
Administrator
18,468 Posts
Go sit on a hard ass horse saddle........pretty close comparison.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I have some unpadded horse saddles and have spent many hours in them and can attest the shape of the seat is vastly more important than the softness/plushness. ANY rider can tell you a hard seat with the proper shape is far preferable to a soft padded seat. I also have owned several Corbin seats, and all have been hard to the touch but work great after many hours of riding.

Another example: a tractor seat--made of steel, unpadded, and I have put hours and hours in a tractor seat, and have not been made uncomfortable by the seat. Its all about the shape, and the hardness even seems to help after a few hours.

Another example--Mercedes seats are usually hard as a park bench, but will be supportive and still acceptable after hours of driving. Just my humble observations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
+1 biggyfries!

You're right on - it's the shape, NOT the softness.

And one size/shape does not fit all butts - that's why Erich was looking at test-sitting on some.

But it's good to know if it works for some in the first place - especially when this seat is NOT a stock Corbin - it's only made BY them to Dale's specifications and he is an average sized/shaped guy.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Don Weber Mr Eds Moto Albany OR Shaped to fit yer (and hers) backside.
$450+

·
Registered
74 Posts
i think we could better help you if you posted a picture of the passenger's arse . . . you know . . . for scientific reasons

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Corbin?

Did you ever get to test sit one? I have 2 now of different styles that you can try and will be selling one. My wife and I did a trip this summer of about 2500 miles 2 up on one so she may have what your looking for as far as feedback. Her main complaint was it was too slippery with her moto pants. Solved this with a sheepskin. PM me and we can get this done if it still needs to happen.

Cheers, Thor

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have had 4 Corbin seats (2 Sportsters, Wide-Glide, and the LT) I HAVE to have one for the Wee. I'm probably go with the Holeshot Corbin seat. BTW it took about 10K miles for $1600 LT seat to really get totally broke in. Was it worth $1600? I have done many 1K mile days on the LT and never a issue with the comfort of the Corbin. Heated front, rear and back rest. I wish heat was offered in the Holeshot Corbin! Maybe if I asked nice...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wish heat was offered in the Holeshot Corbin! Maybe if I asked nice...
I'm sure Dale will find that an intriguing option EZ RDR. :mrgreen:

In either case, I'm pretty sure you'll like the "snug bucket" feel - and it's considerably lower cost than your LT.

Hope Erich (the original poster) finds a solution - Thor's offer sounds great being in the local area for him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Just seen this. If you are still looking for Sargent seat to test. Give a call, in Damascus just of 242 & Borges. Ritch 503-665-8915

1 - 12 of 12 Posts