StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my rear tire blew out on the way to work. A nice 1/4" slit. I put a plug in it, along with some stop leak, and started putting pressure in it and it started bulging slightly, so I put some layers of gorilla tape around that area...shoddy as hell, but got me to work going 20mph. I have called every motorcycle tire shop around me and nobody has my tire size, and I was curious about darksiding so I am going with a coworker after work to pick up a car tire. My question, any 205/50/17 tire should work, right? As long as it is under 7.5" wide? Is there any good quality one that you know works that Walmart /large retailers usually have in stock?

Here is pic of my handiwork ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
This is my thread on sticking a 205/50R17 on a 2004 DL1000. Still winter here, have not tested it.

That being said, amazon, revzilla and a million other online places can get you a tire in a day or 2.

You are completely insane for riding on that thing.

Appears to be a spoked rim so you can't just throw a car tire on it. You either need to tube it with an appropriate sized tube, or goop up all your spoke adjusters so they won't leak.

·
Registered
988 Posts
IMHO I think a smaller tire would work better. That's what I intent to try when I need a rear tire.

175/55r17
175/55=96.25mm section height from the wheel
6.8" wide Vs the stock 150/70/17 tire at 5.9" wide

Comparison
stock size 150/70 = 105mm section height
205/55 = 112.75mm section height
205/50 = 102.5mm section height
205/45 = 92.25mm section height
175/55 = 96.25mm section height.(8.75mm shorter than stock)
~ 0.35 inch

Info from StromTrooper member OydnaR
The 205/50 R 17 tire is certainly pinched, intended for a 5½-7½ tire on a 4" wheel, at first it leaked on the bead, broke it down and put bead seal on it and has never a leaked since. It clears the swng arm easily, chain is close, a short 1/8", a worn loose chain occasionally rubbed in hard right hand leans, but never with a chain that wasn't ready for replacement (I run a 530 chain) nothing I worried about I tried everything from 25 to 50 psi, and settled on 32-35 psi.
Lower pressure was closer to bike tire feel and counter steer effort, but sidewall flex did scary things in wake of large truck/buses. Higher tire pressure tends to have a "square" feel, tipping up as you lean and requiring more counter steer effort but no more than the typical cruiser.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You're stuck at work. Pick any bike tire that you can get even if a couple of sizes too big or too small. If too small take it easy going home. Order the right tire as soon as you get home, put it on when you get it in a couple of days and resell the wrong size tire. But that's just me.

Cheers,
Glenn

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
Too bad you're not in Indianapolis. I have a perfectly usable 80% Shinko 705 on the shelf you could have for free.

If you're in south Florida, perhaps a member of the Stromtrooper clan would be local and have an option to offer.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
IMHO I think a smaller tire would work better. That's what I intent to try when I need a rear tire.

175/55r17
175/55=96.25mm section height from the wheel
6.8" wide Vs the stock 150/70/17 tire at 5.9" wide

Comparison
stock size 150/70 = 105mm section height
205/55 = 112.75mm section height
205/50 = 102.5mm section height
205/45 = 92.25mm section height
175/55 = 96.25mm section height.(8.75mm shorter than stock)
~ 0.35 inch

Info from StromTrooper member OydnaR
The 205/50 R 17 tire is certainly pinched, intended for a 5½-7½ tire on a 4" wheel, at first it leaked on the bead, broke it down and put bead seal on it and has never a leaked since. It clears the swng arm easily, chain is close, a short 1/8", a worn loose chain occasionally rubbed in hard right hand leans, but never with a chain that wasn't ready for replacement (I run a 530 chain) nothing I worried about I tried everything from 25 to 50 psi, and settled on 32-35 psi.
Lower pressure was closer to bike tire feel and counter steer effort, but sidewall flex did scary things in wake of large truck/buses. Higher tire pressure tends to have a "square" feel, tipping up as you lean and requiring more counter steer effort but no more than the typical cruiser.
Problem is that a 175/55r17 is a unicorn. Fine if you have time to order the one tire that comes in that size, but not something you will ever find at a tire store

·
Registered
988 Posts

·
Premium Member
891 Posts

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Me thinks the unfolding drama was not so dramatic. 9 Hours ago I asked where he was located as I too think he could fairly easily find a suitable tire. Nothing but crickets from the OP since the 1st post.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know there's tons of videos/comments/advice/qualified and unqualified opinion on going to the darkside, but I thought I'd post a fairly good video explaining the GOOD AND BAD of whether you should consider it...or not. Skip the intro and go to 4:10 for the good stuff. BTW, I don't care to hear about your uncle who put 100,000 accident-free miles on his Goldwing fitted with a car tire. I'm all about making an educated choice. You make your own call.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
His video is what got me interested in dark siding haha. I got a tire from Walmart that fits (or at least I assume it will once I get the right tools). I spent 4 hours of struggle getting the old tire off without scratching rim, then using ratchet straps to compress the tire enough to ziptie it on, then when getting it on the rim the too small zipties I was using because I ran out of the big ones snapped off. And after that no matter how much soapy water and how long of a crowbar I used I couldn't get it on. I gave up around 11pm frustrated and exhausted, and having to be at work at 4a the next day, gave up. Today I went and bit the bullet, did as slovcan suggested, and went to a mom and pop bike shop today and just got one that fits. I'm ordering the one I actually want on Amazon, and will keep it for next tire or in case I don't like the one they put on. I'm in parking lot waiting for it right now... Was extremely frustrating, but learned that I need to wait to get my house with a yard and room to get the right tools. (Just put in offer hopefully won't be too long).

Here are some pics, the struggle and how I was trying to get it on, then the tire I just picked up.

Sorry for mess at the time cleanliness was last thing on my mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My apologies, I have never had a street tire fail before. I assumed I needed a certain size, otherwise it would severely effect the performance. Live and learn, mods can delete thread if they wish

·
Registered
907 Posts
My apologies, I have never had a street tire fail before. I assumed I needed a certain size, otherwise it would severely effect the performance. Live and learn, mods can delete thread if they wish
No apologies. Live and learn. Leave the thread for future guys to learn from. Good luck with the house.

Cheers,
Glenn

1 - 20 of 24 Posts