StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I installed Symtec heated grips on my bike. They work great, but they warped my throttle tube and now it sticks. I've contacted Symtec and currently working through a resolution with them. In the meantime, I need a new throttle tube, preferably a metal one that won't get soft and warp with the heated grips. I've searched high and low and can't find any that are compatible with the 2012 V-Strom.
If anyone knows of a manufacturer, please let me know. Also, if there is another model of bike that is compatible with our V-Stroms, that would work too.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just placed my order for the G2 Throttle Tamer through Amazon. Should be here next week. Thanks again.

·
38,103 Posts
It was a bit of a convoluted path to find it. I hope it fits. Also, A metal tube will draw heat away from a wrap around heater. Think about insulating the thing somehow and how ATV grips that heat both sides equally may be more appropriate since the throttle side is no longer plastic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm with all the others. The G2 is the hot ticket (accidental pun there). You can chose the cam to reduce the throttle snatch off idle.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Hmm, I have the Symtec grip heaters as well, and they do work great.

Did you shave the ribs of the throttle tube prior to installation? I heard if you don't and there are empty air spaces under the heating element they can over heat.

I did shave mine down as flat as possible, no issues yet after 2-3 months of use, I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm, I have the Symtec grip heaters as well, and they do work great.

Did you shave the ribs of the throttle tube prior to installation? I heard if you don't and there are empty air spaces under the heating element they can over heat.

I did shave mine down as flat as possible, no issues yet after 2-3 months of use, I hope it stays that way.
Nope, I didn't shave the ribs down. I never heard about that.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
38,103 Posts
It's good to know they caught up with the application list. I had some concern about fitment since it wasn't listed on the web site. The Glee throttle tube has the same part number as a listed bike though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Throttle tube

Hey there GMC
A few questions if I may;
Did you install your new throttle tamer?
How difficult was it to remove and replace the original?
Are there any step by step instructions available here or ??
T.I.A.
Joe:confused:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey there GMC
A few questions if I may;
Did you install your new throttle tamer?
How difficult was it to remove and replace the original?
Are there any step by step instructions available here or ??
T.I.A.
Joe:confused:
I installed the throttle tamer a couple days ago. The included directions are pretty basic. It just says remove old throttle tube and replace with new.
To take the grip off I used a turkey injector syringe with soapy water. I worked the syringe between the grip and throttle tube from the end. Injecting the soapy water there made it very easy to remove the grip.
Then I removed the two screws that hold the housing together for the kill switch to expose the throttle cable connection.
The hardest part for me was removing and re-installing the throttle cables. There is probably an easy way to do it, but I don't know what it is. I used a small hook to grab the cable and work it free from its attachment point.
Lastly, I cleaned the handlebar before installing the G2 Throttle Tamer.

·
38,103 Posts
Use the cable adjusters at each end to add the maximum slack and the cables come out easily.

·
Registered
66 Posts
G2

A hearty thanks to you guys for the suggestions and information. I installed a G2 Tamer and per GW and Pete, snugged up the throttle cable and by golly, all better. Way better! Twitching is almost all gone. Pleasant riding again.
I can't thank you all enough!
Joe:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
I just found this thread, and will be ordering the throttle tamer. Looks like it will also help the throttle snatch on my 2014 Vstrom 1000. I will be calling the company today to make sure there is a model for the Vee2. Sounds like installation is not too bad. I did watch the youtube video on installation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts