StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 650 V-Strom last year then went on deployment and now that I'm back I'm starting to farkle
or upgrade it if you will to better fit me but, before I waste money on unnecessary things I thought it would
be a good idea to run some things through here.

I am ridiculously tall with a frame of 6'6" and a 36" inseam and really don’t have much to go by but, luckily
I found a couple of things that seem like a right enough choice.

28” Windshield by Cee Bailey
Suzuki DL 1000 Pre-2004 V-Strom Extra Tall Windshield Preview

Skid Plate with Highway bars provided by Happy Trail
Highway pegs for DL650/DL1000 Vstrom. - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers

I still would like to know where I can find someone who can make me a flat and taller seat much like what
you would see on any KTM bike - I tend to ride further toward the back of my bike and yes, I have heard of
Sargent Cycle, Bill Mayer, Corbin, Russel Day Long seats. Even the idea of adding support pads to the
seat such as
Airhawk seat pads AIRHAWK | Comfort Seating Products, Motorcycle Seat Cushions to give another Inch to Inch 1/2 to my seat.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
also try raising links. They do alot for me. Handlebar risers and maybe footpeg lowers as well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
First of all a big thanks to you for your service to our country!

I too am close to “ridiculously tall” at 6’5” with a 36” inseam. However, I’d prefer to believe you and I are normal and everyone else is ridiculously short. :biggrinjester:

The first thing I did with my bike was up and back handle bar risers. Next was a special order Corbin seat that I had the “seat pocket” moved back one inch from the normal position. I now have some SW-Motech on/off road footpegs that are about one half inch lower than standard and I did add some Highway bars. As far as the windshield goes my first purchase would be a Madstad Bracket.

Suzuki

I believe you will find many different shields that will work for you in combination with the Madstad Bracket. I have a Givi shield with the Madstad and love the ability to adjust it for on or off road or hot or cold weather. And the Madstad will help you find the best position to control buffeting.

Other than the above mods for my NORMAL HEIGHT I just ride the thing and love it more after each ride.:thumbup:

Good luck and enjoy your new bike!!!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I rode Janice's bike and didn't like the Cee Bailey - it vibrated like a MF on dirt roads. I like the California Scientific much better.

The Suzuki Tall Touring saddle is 1/2 thicker than the stocker. Almost any automotive upholstery shop can add fom to a saddle for $125 or so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a CalSci XL windshield without the hole cut into the windshield. I first had the hole in it and hated it and Mark sent me one without it. Liked it a ton better. The wife is now riding the Wee and its too tall for her. Used it 1.5 seasons here in Pittsburgh. Great condition. $100 picked up or $115 shipped in the United States. It was $200+ shipping new. PM me if interested.

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I have a CalSci XL windshield without the hole cut into the windshield. I first had the hole in it and hated it and Mark sent me one without it. Liked it a ton better. The wife is now riding the Wee and its too tall for her. Used it 1.5 seasons here in Pittsburgh. Great condition. $100 picked up or $115 shipped in the United States. It was $200+ shipping new. PM me if interested.
I've tested mine with the NACA duct taped over.

Lets just say your opinion is unique.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm only a mere 6 ft, but I found that the Corbin Seat ( i found a Used older style) set me back nicely , and along with Richland Rick foot peg lowering kit, help to unfold my legs quite perfectly for everyday/ most weekend riding. I also have a beadrider seat which adds another 3/4 (?) of an inch, along with other benefits. THe more you unfold your legs the better it become, at least for any prolonged riding

Richlandrick's Adventure-Tech LLC

I also have a 1" handlebar riser which was given to me that works comfortably also. You may want a different handlebar riser based on arm length/comfort.

Although I haven't done it YET for longer trips - All weekend riding/ riding vacations I want to get a skid plate for the purpose of adding highway bar like footpegs. I tried mounting some to my givi bars but it's to high to be comfortable along with angle issues.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
A normal 6'-5" 36" inseam person here. :mrgreen: Look up Richland Rick peg lowering brackets also. They will greatly improve your leg room, even with the stock 650 seat (which I truly hope you're not using now, and if you are it won't be for long).

I did a full mod on my own seat, and am very happy with the results. If you want to spend the money, you cannot go wrong with Russell. Period.

Have fun.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I also modded my own seat. There was a link/article that I came across here where the guy charges a very reasonable fee by using your own seat and his memory foam. I did the same thing and it turned out great. Cut the memory foam to the thickness/shape you want with an electric knife, remove the staples from the seat(I did not remove the front and front side staples). Install the memory foam how you want it, stretch the seat material and restaple. Very simple if you have somebody to help. I looked at/read all of the seat posts and with so many complaints about new/custom seats I knew I had nothing to lose by trying it myself. Good luck.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I also modded my own seat. There was a link/article that I came across here where the guy charges a very reasonable fee by using your own seat and his memory foam. I did the same thing and it turned out great. Cut the memory foam to the thickness/shape you want with an electric knife, remove the staples from the seat(I did not remove the front and front side staples). Install the memory foam how you want it, stretch the seat material and restaple. Very simple if you have somebody to help. I looked at/read all of the seat posts and with so many complaints about new/custom seats I knew I had nothing to lose by trying it myself. Good luck.
I agree with this. I'm planning on messing up, I mean fixing, my own seat this winter. I figure I can hardly make it worse and it's just too much money for a custom jobby. I'm 6'4" with 34/35" inseam and I want to raise the seat just a little bit and probably will invest in rick's peg lowering kit at some point as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
+1 on the Richlandrick peg lowering kit. Richlandrick's Adventure-Tech LLC

I also have the slightly taller dl1000 seat on my 650 that was modified by Spencer at Page 1 Purchased the 1000 seat from another member. After about 1500 miles on the seat it has broken in nicely. Actually, I do not even think about the seat anymore, which is good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with this. I'm planning on messing up, I mean fixing, my own seat this winter. I figure I can hardly make it worse and it's just too much money for a custom jobby. I'm 6'4" with 34/35" inseam and I want to raise the seat just a little bit and probably will invest in rick's peg lowering kit at some point as well.
Sent you a PM.

·
Registered
IBA #33670, '12 Wee Adv; '14 Triumph Bonneville, 07 Harley, '99 Harley; '86 BMW R80, '74 BMW R 90 +
71 Posts
I'm only 6'1" with a 30 inch inseam so relatively speaking I am not tall. I don't know much about seats, but on my VFR I replaced the stock pegs with some from a Buell Ulysses. They need to be for a Uly. Those pegs are "stepped". It will give you another inch or so for knee relief. You will loose some cornering clearance but on the Strom that shouldn't be an issue. The Buell pegs should be an inexpensive option to gain an inch or so. You may also need to change the level of the rear brake. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I believe from reading this you are looking for more legroom. Im 6'3 34 inseam & had the same issue. My fix was a Russel day long saddle which is much higher than a stock saddle & pegs of of a 1800 gold wing,The leg room issue is fixed & I can only put 1 foot on the ground flat. If the bike is straight up toes only balance the bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Forum

Yeah - thanks for all the helpfull info - I decided that to start off I'll change the seat out with a custom one and then maybe next year lower the foot pegs but, I am still concerned about scrapping my feets when I have to corner the streets around my neighborhood.I believe once I get the highway pegs installed from HAPPY TRAIL I'll enjoy riding alot more.

Once I get everything installed I'll post some pics and videos on this thread

Again thanks.

·
Registered
515 Posts
The Day Long will give you the most legroom. And Gold Wing pegs can be had for 25 buck a pair all day.

·
Registered
259 Posts
cheap fix is to use a DL1000 seat and then do the mod I always do, here is the link------

V Strom Mods - kieth's Photos

I bought the seat for $50.00 from a dl1000 rider who had bought the corbin, I like my seat just as well for a whole lot less. Kieth

ps we cut around the foam hump and folded it down into the recess, duct taped it in place. If you want to be a little neater get a electric grinder, glue the foam in place and then grind it to shape. Put it back together and you are ready to rock and roll. Kieth

I bought my 650 V-Strom last year then went on deployment and now that I'm back I'm starting to farkle
or upgrade it if you will to better fit me but, before I waste money on unnecessary things I thought it would
be a good idea to run some things through here.

I am ridiculously tall with a frame of 6'6" and a 36" inseam and really don’t have much to go by but, luckily
I found a couple of things that seem like a right enough choice.

28” Windshield by Cee Bailey
Suzuki DL 1000 Pre-2004 V-Strom Extra Tall Windshield Preview

Skid Plate with Highway bars provided by Happy Trail
Highway pegs for DL650/DL1000 Vstrom. - KLR650 & Adventure Touring Motorcycle Luggage and Aluminum Panniers

I still would like to know where I can find someone who can make me a flat and taller seat much like what
you would see on any KTM bike - I tend to ride further toward the back of my bike and yes, I have heard of
Sargent Cycle, Bill Mayer, Corbin, Russel Day Long seats. Even the idea of adding support pads to the
seat such as
Airhawk seat pads AIRHAWK | Comfort Seating Products, Motorcycle Seat Cushions to give another Inch to Inch 1/2 to my seat.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Get your suspension set up properly for your weight, then start riding on the balls of your feet. You do not want to lower the pegs. Also take a look at your riding techniques, If you are riding the inside line in corners you may want to try riding outside in, keep the throttle on, and then delay apexing. You will not drag your pegs and since you will be on the balls of your feet you will not drag your toes.....Kieth

Yeah - thanks for all the helpfull info - I decided that to start off I'll change the seat out with a custom one and then maybe next year lower the foot pegs but, I am still concerned about scrapping my feets when I have to corner the streets around my neighborhood.I believe once I get the highway pegs installed from HAPPY TRAIL I'll enjoy riding alot more.

Once I get everything installed I'll post some pics and videos on this thread

Again thanks.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts