StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be in northern Ohio in about a week or so on my Wee. Since I have some extra time - about four or five more days - I would like to make a loop around Lake Erie:hurray:, through Buffalo and Niagara Falls, and around through Canada to re-enter in Michigan.

Here are some criteria:
- avoid interstates, four lane highways and any other superslabs
- 300 miles max per day (to leave time to enjoy the sights)
- will be staying in hotels / B&Bs (no camping)
- looking for a relaxing trip

I've never been to Niagara, and never in Canada. I am looking for suggestions on the best routes to take (OH, PA, NY, MI, CN, etc). Even a suggested road to take would be fine - no need to comment on the whole circuit. Views of the lakes, woods, etc. are bonuses.

Also, feel free to suggest any towns to visit along the way, attractions to see, or places to stay. Many thanks, in advance.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Michigan Sights

If you are coming in thru Port Huron, you will be on I-69 at the off-set once you cross the border. I don't know the 2 and 4 lane highway number right off, but there is one/a couple that skirt the "thumb" of Michigan. If you can make it to Frankenmuth, it would be a worthy little stop....sort of a Bavarian oasis town....excellent beer at Frankenmuth Brewery and a great view of the river if you are out on the top deck area.

I'm about 35 minutes south...if you need anything, or company consuming beverage....feel free to let me know!

Chuck
[email protected]

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you are crossing at the Buffalo and Niagara border, the Niagara parkway is a nice ride down to Fort Erie. If your not in a hurry stick along the lakeshore roads until you get to Pt. Stanley then maybe Hwy 3 the rest of the way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depending on where you want to cross/how far north you want to go, you can cross into Michigan via ferry. The ferry runs between Marine city, mi and Sombra Ontario. $4 bucks for the trip and it only takes about 15-20 minutes. We left Michigan headed to TransLab via that ferry and it was pretty neat.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips, guys. I will definitely try the ferry in Marine City, and may try the brewery suggestion in Frankenmuth. The Canada suggestions are good - I made notes. And I know Cleveland pretty well, so that is on my list to stop.

May as well close this thread now - I am pushing off in the morning. Thanks all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts