StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a strom this fall or next spring.

I am 6', and about 250. Most of my riding will be by myself but my wife may ride with on occasion.

No plans for any serious offroad expeditions. Gravel roads once in a while.

This also will be my first bike.

Am I going to be satisfied with the power of the 650?

My intent is to buy only 1 bike, not looking to upgrade down the road.

Thanks for any/all replies.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
If this is your first bike either one will give you a handful of power to deal with. Even the Wee will do 0-60 mph in 4 1/2 seconds.
I am going to assume you plan on taking a motorcycle safety course BEFORE you purchase a bike. If you do, you will get some appreciation of what sort of power you are dealing with and figure out from there if 650cc is going to satisfy you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
My recommendation would be to get a used (very used) bike for the first one - get all the newbie drops and mistakes out of the way - and it will help you to decide what you really want to ride - in the future.

You may not even like riding.......A $2500 starter bike will give you a lot of information and can be sold for about the same as you buy it for, if you don't f it up. Better to bust up a beater........learning, and make an informed decision later, based on experience rather than what you believe to be the ultimate bike now.

Just my humble opinion......I started riding dirt bikes as a teen and stopped about age 20 so when I got back on I started with a KLR-650, went to a 7 year old 1100 cruiser and now on a Used Vee......loved all of them, and they all were/are the ultimate bike. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
I picked up my Wee Strom K6 new last Monday. It's sharing the stable with my bought new 1993 Honda CBR 600 F2, which was preceeded by (in order) 1 1986 Honda VF500, A 1980 Yamaha XS1100, and a 1978 Yamaha 750 Special. Things have kept getting better. :D I especially liked everything I heard and read about the 650's motor.

I got the Wee because all my middle weights have been better bikes than I am a rider and because 67hp and 90hp on the VF500 and F2 respectively was plenty for me. I also appreciate the lighter weight of the midweights and have never regretted that decision. The Wee is 40# lighter than the 1000.

Everything I have heard and read is that the 650 has plenty of power for the 2 upping you are suggesting. I am very pleased with its power and torque to date. This is probably the best bike I have ever owned.

·
Registered
176 Posts
+1 on a starter bike. +2 on the safety course

A 250cc dual sport is a great starter bike.

Ride it for at least 6 months. A year is even better.

GL and don't skimp on the training time. The road is littered with those who think they are different than everyone else.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Whatever you do don't do like I did. I got an '05 Kawasaki Concours as my first bike and an '07 Wee a year later as my second. I have a whole whopping 12,000 miles under my belt ;)

I did take the MSF course, and highly recommend it as well. FWIW, I was sick of the 250 "starter" bikes by the time I finished the MSF course. They're fun for a parking lot or a third-world country, not so much for US riding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love the Wee-Strom

I have a BMW 1200 cruiser, but I'm selling it. The Wee meets my needs for two-up power, and more smiles per gallon (and more MILES per gallon). 650 is my vote... as the previous writer said, not for cross country maybe, but a couple of hundred miles for sure (with a good seat). I got a used 2005 and love it. Now I want ABS, though.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I've ridden with several 650s, and they've never had any problem keeping up, that's for sure. Although I'm not exactly the fastest rider out there. However, I personally couldn't imagine a bike this big and heavy without the 1000 motor. Either way it seems you can't go wrong, but for me I didn't even consider the 650. Seems to have less quirks though, if that means anything to you. Luckily this club exists to help with any bump along the way.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have the Big Vee and love this bike completely. But I would not feel good in recomending a Litre bike to a beginner. From reading around you will find a bunch of die hard 650 riders here. Your size won't come onto play as much as you may think. Not a lot of difference in seat height between the bikes. I think it's about an inch and that's just the seat. You could easily find a used one around here from someone. The Vee is a torque monster! You can get yourself into trouble easily with it. The Wee from all I've read is an incredible bike with a bullet proof motor. If you don't believe it start a Vee vs. Wee thread and watch how passionatly the 650 riders defend their machines:mrgreen: Just KIDDING DO NOT start another one of those. Which ever bike you choose it will be a great bike. But I would lean towards the Wee. Just my 2 cents.

Dann

Have a nice day, unless you planned otherwise...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some very well points made.

I have alot of experience on ATV's. So the shifting/braking should not be any problem for me.

I will be taking a Motorcycle safety course as well. My Dad also has an old Kawi motorcycle that I will probaly borrow to get some seat time before I get a strom.

I am hoping to buy a Blue 2007 wee strom. I would have to buy used to get a 1000.

Thanks for all the input. This board is great. Will check the classifieds from time to time. I would love to buy the red 2005 that in MN right now but my wife won't let me buy any more toys until I have a couple others sold.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I bought a 1989 Katana 600cc bike as my first (maybe 70hp). It was beautiful and expensive and shouldn't have dropped... I dropped it three times and then totalled it off a cliff. Almost died, colapsed a lung and spent 10 days in ICU. It was way too much for me.

My second bike was an old 400cc yamaha that was cheap enough to drop and light enough to pick it up... and I never did.

Seriously (someone already said this too) buy a 3 year old Kawasaki Ninja 250 for $1700. Put 5k miles on it. (lots of parking lot time too). Wash it. Sell it for $1700. Buy a 650, put 5k miles on it. If at that time you decide you really want a 1k then start thinking about it. By then you will know if you can handle it, just be honest with yourself.

As long as you buy used and haggle, you won't really loose any money (and any money lost would be well spent.)

As a side note, I just sold an SV650, the whole time I was selling it a friend of mine was looking for a beginner bike... and I never mentioned that I was selling it. I thought it was way too much for him and didn't want to be responsible for his death. He bought a Suzuki 400 bandit... for $1700.

I am opinionated, but I am right. If you buy a 1k Strom, you will drop it, break it, cost yourself money and maybe hurt yourself.

I whole heartedly advocate the MSF (or similar) safety classes. They don't make you an expert, but are a great start.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I agree with those who say to get a used 250 enduro or street-legal dirt bike first. Even if you don't plan on riding in dirt, knowing how to do it is a useful set of skills that will carry through into your street riding.

I've got a 650, and now I'm looking at picking up a 250 myself to learn those skills I need to have in order to go to the places I want to go.

Two big advantages of the little bike for learning. First, when it falls on you it's less likely to hurt you, and second, when it falls over it's a lot easier to pick up.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Id say go for the wee strom as well :mrgreen:

The big thing is to not have a bike where there is much low down grunt to get you in trouble. My 1st bike was a CBR600F3 and I remember at first I didnt take her above 5k rpm and 65 felt fast (well that lasted the 1st day :twisted:) The key with that bike was that even though it had almost 100hp being a 600 they weren't until really high up in the RPMs, I just wish they still made livable 600's because if you are RESPONSIBLE very key point there since already this week I saw a squid slam in the back on a car on a gixxer they work great. As you get more experienced you can just creep higher and higher in the RPM's untill you are ready to live 10k plus.

As for the wee strom its perfect for you, my only complaint is that top end rush but thats what a 2nd bike is for and Ive always been on sportbikes. The wee will let you have more fun than you could believe especially in nice twisty roads, commute, go off road, everything except 163bhp acceleration :twisted:

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
I agree with those who say to get a used 250 enduro or street-legal dirt bike first. Even if you don't plan on riding in dirt, knowing how to do it is a useful set of skills that will carry through into your street riding.
Two big advantages of the little bike for learning. First, when it falls on you it's less likely to hurt you, and second, when it falls over it's a lot easier to pick up.
J. Clarke is bang on. Make your mistakes on something small, cheap and used. When you're comfortable in most situations you can then assess which bike is right for you. You stated in your post you wanted to buy an 07 Wee. It will be perfect for you. Some people have disagreed with me on this, but I believe that if you have to ask which Strom is right for you, then you probably should get a Wee.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I wholeheartedly agree with all posts regarding the training and starter bikes. I've been riding since age 13, and that was a LONG time ago.

That said, the decision between the Vee and Wee was the hardest I ever had to make in any vehicle purchase. I absolutely loved the raw power of the Vee, but my personal decision to buy the Wee ultimately came down to the type of riding I do (80% commuting, only 8 miles each way). I had to make a tough choice between my wants (MORE POWER!!!!) and needs. You'll never see me enter into any of the Vee vs. Wee peeing contests, because I love both bikes, and made my decision based on needs and economy. If I could, I'd own both.

The ultimate choice comes down to YOUR personal needs and desires. The Wee would be a great bike for you, but so would the Vee. IMHO, you should listen to the others on the list and get a smaller starter bike, which you can probably sell within a year or two for what you paid. If you decide not to do that, get as many miles as possible on your dad's bike, but spend a LOT of time doing the slow-speed stuff you learn in the MSF course. When you get the V-Strom, I'd recommend the Wee only because the learning curve will be shorter for you, and the smaller engine will be more forgiving when learning.

Best of luck to you in your decision; it was a really tough one for me.

·
Registered
133 Posts

I've ridden the 650 and 1000. I highly recommend the 650. It is much, much more forgiving than the 1000. The potential for a new rider getting into trouble with the 1000 is ten fold.

Think of the 1000 as a 67 camaro running with headers. It's growly, and capable of huge amounts of speed in a hurry. It doesn't like to go slow. It's tough to manage when crawling around town at low speeds. In contrast, the 650 is lighter and the motor is much more controllable at all speeds riding.

I agree with the above comment. A used bike should be your "First" bike. A new rider will ding up a bike pretty fast and it's a shame doing it to a new machine.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
No Way

There is no way in the world that a new rider should get on a DL1000. Might as well let a child play with a loaded gun. Sooner or later, it'll be another statistic. Even the 650 is probably a little on the tall and heavy side for a starter bike. On the other hand, I agree that a 250 just doesn't have much appeal. I think a 400-500 twin would give plenty of experience without hurting a beginner, give a pretty good idea of what kind of performance is available from a motorcycle, and retain resale value well, assuming you don't wad it up. In addition, they tend to be totally reliable, given minimal care, and can function as a commuter bike if needed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'd wait and get a 2008 650 with ABS. That'll be the safest bike of any mentioned. That or watch for an 07 with ABS, but from my research there are none to be had. Good luck and stay safe.

Just remember, these bikes are MUCH quicker than you think, especially for any beginner. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts