StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to pull the trigger on some Eastern Beaver stuff but I am sorta clueless on the options.

I want to hardwire my GPS and two 12v outlets to the bike. One of the outlets is going to be that Eastern Beaver left side kit.....for running a pump if I get a flat. When reading the installation instructions, it appeared that the wiring went directly to the battery. Well, that got me to thinking about one of those fuse panel thingys. If I understand right, the fuse thingy wires to the battery and the accessories wire into the box, right? So for my limited needs, I thought the 3SC harness looked like the best bet for me.

My question.....I have the option of either three "switched" fuses or two switched and one unswitched. What does "switched" mean? I took it to mean that they'll only have power if the key is on. In which case, I'd want the one unswitched to run that side socket so I don't have to have the bike on to inflate a tire.

Or am I ignorant? :D

I swear, doing this on the KLR was so easy. I just loaded the battery down with lines.

·
0 Posts
You're right on both accounts, wire to the Fuse Panel...that is then wired to the battery, and switched is powered only when you have the key on.

Jim at EB is great with answering questions too...so you may want to talk directly to him via PMs or email.

Eastern Beaver is TOP NOTCH!!!

BTD.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Eastern Beaver is great, I had them make a harness for my RT.

If you left side outlet is only to run a compressor, you might just use a SAE lead like this one and zip tie it somewhere convenient.

http://batterytender.com/product_info.php?products_id=39

Saves $30 or more depending on what connectors you have on your pump.

I have a battery tender with the SAE connector, and a SLIME pump with the SAE connector. All of my bikes have the cable above zip tied where it's easy to get to.

Now with that $30 you save you might consider the PC8 fuse box instead of the 3CS, I think it's cleaner.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
It is my experience that wiring things like hot grips that are permanently installed are best wired switched so they turn off with the bike. Portable accessory sockets are usually better unswitched so you can use them with the bike off...just don't leave anything connected to the unswitched socket for long with the bike off or you will kill the battery.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The GPS and the "front" socket will be switched, the left side socket will only be used for the Slime pump, so it can be unswitched. It'll (hopefully) be used very infrequently.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts