StromTrooper banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
We have a 4 door tacoma, a crv, a couple of bikes, lawnmower, shelving, a new V-Strom and all kinds of other stuff crammed into our 22/22 attached garaged. It would not hold a full sized truck.

The V-strom was the impetus to build another one, so we're building a detached garage 22x26 in the side yard (to match the house, bricked, etc).

I don't envy you trying to squeeze all that stuff into a normal garage. You're gonna hate it. You need at a minimum what you pictured (3 car capacity). Even then you're going to be missing that garage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Once again I find that I must explain the physics issue here:

A ONE car garage will hold ONE car.
A TWO car garage will hold ONE car and a bunch of junk.
A THREE car garage will hold a bunch of your junk and some neighbor's or in-law's stuff and the cars and motorcycles sit outside.

This is known as the Fourth Law of Thermodynamics, clearly stated in English: "Shit expands to fill the space available."
My life, right there.

Our house is on a good sized city lot, about 110'x110' on a corner, a walkout rambler built in 1953. It originally had no garage.At some point a double attached was added, but as with some 1950's houses, they skimped on the house's foundation; they should have done one more row of cinder block. It is so low we couldn't install garage door openers. We had to fold in the mirrors on our Isuzu Trooper to get in. I don't see how any car from the '60s or '70s ever fit.

Eventually, we built a 24'x24' detached, giving us four stalls. Right now we are able to get my XC90, the V-Strom and the FJR inside. My wife has managed to fill almost all the remaining space. Kicking and screaming, I am getting her to thin the junk out so that we can get another car (hers) in, too. I told her that since it's her stuff, her car gets to sit out. Fair is fair, after all. Will this be the second or third winter, now?

She keeps buying storage tubs to put stuff in. WE DON'T HAVE ROOM TO STORE MORE TUBS! 😡

Anyhow, big corner lots give you options so long as your zoning lets you build stuff.

41 - 42 of 42 Posts