StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the first to admit I'm exceptionally spoiled when it comes to garage space -- my current garage is a 60x30 pole building. Cars, motorcycle, boat, trailer, lawn mowers, spare furniture, workshop; it all fits, with room to spare.

That's about to change.

We're putting our house on the market and someday soon I'll be losing my mega-garage. While we haven't found the new place just yet, nothing we're looking at has anything close to this much garage space. The process of purging has already begun (the boat will be listed on Craigslist this weekend).

Best case scenario is something like this:

Though, even this is a stretch and would require us getting top dollar for our current home.

More likely is a standard 2-car garage with extra space in front of our 2 vehicles; maybe only 6' or so.

I'm curious to see how others in similar situations have dealt with the issue of fitting 2 vehicles (1 of which is a full-size truck) plus a motorcycle in a relatively standard 2-car garage.

·
Registered
15,252 Posts
I'm of the opinion that you buy a house and stay there. What are you gaining moving from what works to what may not work?

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I'd say a big shed, but that house looks like one that would be in a neighborhood where that was not allowed. Are you allowed to park outside?
In my case the pickup sits in the driveway with one of my wife's cars. Her summer car is in the garage next to the boat. The bikes are in the garage in the backyard.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have a garage 12 feet wide but it is about 24 feet long...filled with junk and a car I have not driven in 15 years. I am currently lucky enough to be building a shed 16 by 8 and will have a 6 foot wide garage door...its 90 % done, and I am doing it myself... I am so scared to get onto the roof to shingle...

·
Registered
662 Posts
A 24'D X 22+ W might work, depending on the automotive stuff. I have 2, 24" deep lockers as part of my setup and my son's Silverado double cab will juuust fit. It was a beta test I am thinking about trading my Escape for a Ranger SuperCab which is ~12" shorter. In the winter, I can park the D'Elle hard by the wall and get the Escape and the Mariner both in with plenty of room in front. Come summertime, the Escape's space becomes the toy box for the bikes, (motored and acoustic) and camping gear. and the Escape sits outside. Fortunately my HOA has no restriction on parking vehicles in the driveway, but not boats, trailers, etc. Check before you buy, if in a HOA neighborhood.
I count three MC's in your garage, so you could have a single car space for the bikes and one for a car or truck, or rent a 10 x 20 storage shed for the lesser used stuff. Our second home had a walk-out basement with a 48" service door to the back yard which served well for power equipment; kept the gas can and propane tanks for the grill in the garage, though.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm the first to admit I'm exceptionally spoiled when it comes to garage space -- my current garage is a 60x30 pole building. Cars, motorcycle, boat, trailer, lawn mowers, spare furniture, workshop; it all fits, with room to spare.

That's about to change.

We're putting our house on the market and someday soon I'll be losing my mega-garage. While we haven't found the new place just yet, nothing we're looking at has anything close to this much garage space. The process of purging has already begun (the boat will be listed on Craigslist this weekend).

Best case scenario is something like this:

Though, even this is a stretch and would require us getting top dollar for our current home.

More likely is a standard 2-car garage with extra space in front of our 2 vehicles; maybe only 6' or so.

I'm curious to see how others in similar situations have dealt with the issue of fitting 2 vehicles (1 of which is a full-size truck) plus a motorcycle in a relatively standard 2-car garage.
I used to fit our 1992 Miata and 2008 Jeep Liberty and a DL650 in the garage. The DL650 was at the rear of the Miata, for commuting. Not much spare room. I could have fit the two ebikes in front of the Jeep (as we do now). I would love to have a 3-car garage - but it was the one thing I had to forgo when we moved, which is OK, because so many other things were (are are) right about this house and our location in Oakland, CA.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
The trick to any garage if you want to be usable for vehicle storage is not put up any permanent work benches, shelves, cabinets or hooks on the walls. If you do it becomes a storage area.

As for going from a big garage to a smaller garage you'll have to decide what's you do and don't stays in it. There's no magic way to stack 10 gallons of stuff in a 5 gallon bucket.

Or move to a development with an HOA. Then they can determine what you can and can't have in your driveway. Then you'll know what to sell.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As suggested, work ALL the wall space so nothing is on the floor, use shelving also. Use the area above the rafters for storage of stuff you rarely use or just need to store.
My 650 lives in front of my car, the PITA is that 1 car needs to move to bike out-but I live with that and am thankful it has a dry place to live when not out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Maybe?
  • Buy two more modest homes which abut each other and gut one of them.
  • Shop for a supermarket that is in bankruptcy.

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
Speaking of shelves. This type of platform provides a lot of storage space - 16x4 storage loft in my 20ft wide x 24 ft deep attached garage

·
Vendor
5,257 Posts
I have two motorcycles, a ZTR lawn mower, my sisters washer an dryer going into her new home, some furniture my son left, several boxes of my sons trophies with too much sentimental value to through away, two freezers, and a mid sized SUV in a two car garage.

Actually something is got to give because my Kawasaki triple will be going into that garage soon. Good thing my sisters house will be doe in the next few weeks.

They key is letting my wife do the organizing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Speaking of shelves.
About 12 years ago, I was fortunate enough to stumble upon a local supermarket doing remodeling and grabbed literally dozens of shelves of various sizes + the necessary vertical supports and horizontal floor supports. The are rated for something like 250 lbs/shelf and are all in use in my workshop, garage and house store room. Keep an eye out for these, they are versatile and sturdy.
Many still have the 12 yo price stickers and I laugh sometimes at the low food prices from back then.

·
Vendor
5,257 Posts
Second thoughts. The key is recognizing your priorities when shopping for a new house. Either find a house that does what you want, or find a house with property large enough to add what you want. Or recognize a larger garage is not really a priority.

Real advice isn't as much fun to write and not as much fun to read.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Richlandrick,

You said it perfectly!

The key is recognizing your priorities when shopping for a new house. Either find a house that does what you want, or find a house with property large enough to add what you want.

But the best part:

Real advice isn't as much fun to write and not as much fun to read ;)(y)

Reactions: richlandrick

·
Registered
585 Posts
My truck does not fit in my 19 x 19 ft garage. And now that the wife is retired her car also got kicked out of the garage in favor of 4 bikes. Sometimes one has to make sacrifices. :giggle:

SAM_1280.JPG
SAM_1283.JPG
SAM_1521.JPG
SAM_3111.JPG

·
Administrator
5,757 Posts
20'Wx30'D. Loads of space at the back for benches and shelves - and the three bikes when necessary.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
+1

Garage is for the motorcycle, driveway is for the car!
Garage is for :
  1. Beer fridge
  2. Motorcycles
  3. BGE
  4. Radio
  5. Motorcycle lift
  6. Tools for motorcycles
  7. Bar stools for sitting that the lift/table while sipping suds, grilling dinner and looking at the motorcycles
Shed is for overflow and lawn equipment.

Driveway is for trucks/cars

1 - 20 of 42 Posts