StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding a few hours on my V-Strom (all bikes), I experience discomfort in the groin/prostate area. The seat seems to put my body weight load in that area, and that's not comfortable.

I reckon the ideal solution is some sort of cushion/seat that has a gap in the area that seats the groin.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for in a seat. This is a bicycle seat, thinking there should be something similar for a motorcycle (if not, here's a money making opportunity).

I've also seen web photos of Freedom Air and Airhawk. However, none of the products mention groin relief. Perhaps someone who can comment on these products? Other options?

Thanks,
Jake

·
Registered
278 Posts
I would send that pic to Russell, I bet they could make one for you.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Get some padded bicycle shorts to wear under your riding gear. They are built to do exactly what you're after (and they're cheaper than a custom seat).

·
Registered
538 Posts
An Airhawk helped me. I think most of the custom seatmakers will accommodate your requirements if you tell them what you want. I had a Rick Mayer seat made a few years ago with some 'relief'. Not quite as extravagantly sculpted as your bicycle seat, but it worked well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've noticed the same thing. The seat forces my pelvis to tilt forward taking weight off of my sitting bones and onto the groin area. I'm thinking of cutting out the dished area, making it longer twards the rear and adding more padding. It may be more the geometry of the legs to seat. If I could sit farther back on the seat I think all would be well. Hopefully that's what extending the cutout will do. I'm hoping for a gel seat soon. If that doesn't help, I'll modify the stock 650 seat that was replaced.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
I think any of the good aftermarket seats would help, as they all have more of a dished-out area than the stock seat. My Sargent made a huge difference for me. Normally Sargent is the cheapest of the bunch, but Rick Mayer is running a special through the end of April -- $269 for a custom-built Vstrom seat: http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
If I were you I would go see Rich at Rich's custom seats in Kingston. I love mine and he will build it while you wait. He can do almost anything that you would like with it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
If I were you I would go see Rich at Rich's custom seats in Kingston. I love mine and he will build it while you wait. He can do almost anything that you would like with it.
+1

I'm liking my Rich's seat more and more as it breaks in. If you consider going to Rich's, make an appointment soonest. You can always reschedule or cancel, but he's getting busy. Rich can do a minor modification and re-use the stock cover (at lower cost) if that meets your needs, or he can do a full custom seat.

You can always try just cutting a groove in the stock foam and filling it with a very light density foam just to hold the cover in shape when you're off it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Rick Mayer built a seat for my departed Varadero with very soft gel foam in center position that corresponds to center void in bicycle seat. I loved that seat. You don't need to have an ugly canyon running through your seat if foam densities and foam contours are correct..

·
Registered
296 Posts
I got a beaded seat cover from cyclecrafts (dot net). It solved the problem for me. And, the more miles you put on the bike, the tougher your ass gets, just like a bicycle seat.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Jake-

I'm assuming you are riding on the stock seat? If so, the stock VStrom seat is the textbook example of how NOT to shape a motorcycle seat. It's akin to straddling a fallen 10" diameter tree trunk. It offers no support for your butt, and all your body weight is supported... well, you are finding out where all your weight is supported.

Along with the other good advice, the Sargent World Sport seat offers a wide, flat, fairly firm platform for your entire butt to sit on, like a padded kitchen chair. On a wide, flat seat, your pelvic bone (butt bones) will make full contact on the seat along with your butt muscles (butt cheeks), taking an awful lot of that stress off your body parts that were not designed to carry a weight load.

And if you buy a Sargent directly from Sargent (little more expensive than through a Sargent dealer), you get a 30 day satisfaction guaranty, so if it doesn't work out for your body, send it back for a refund. I've got 20,000 miles and 3 years on mine.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/suzwsvstrom.htm

·
Registered
93 Posts
ME TOO

Just returned from one month in Florida where I was able to ride every day (almost). On the return trip to NY, trailing the bike I felt pain in my prostrate and had to stop at many a rest area to urinate. Upon returning I went to see a urologist who diagnosed it as prostiti:headbang:s and gave me Cipro which did the trick after several weeks. No doubt this was caused by the stock seat on my DL1000.

My question now is this. Has anybody tried the Susuki gel seat. If so how do you like it. Is it higher or lower than stock. Does it get hot if left in the sun? How does it compare to other aftermarket seats out there???

I do not want to go through that prostrate experience again.

Thanks.

·
Registered
574 Posts
albmw-if Cipro cleared up your prostatitis then it bacterial induced and not related to the seat. It may be it would have gone away without Cipro and was seat related. Bacterial prostatitis is a bit hard to cure all the way so it could come back. Either way it would be hard to determine the cause unless it recurred during a period when you were doing no riding at all.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've wondered for many years why this hasn't been a more obvious issue with alot of bike seats. Back in 2000 I had a SEVERE bout of prostatitis which had me thinking about maybe getting into trials bikes just so I wouldn't have to sit down!

My girlfriend made me a vinyl seat cover for my XR650R that had foam tubes split in half and sewn into the vinyl (these are the foam tubes used to protect pipes from freezing). I have a photo of this contraption on the 3rd page of my homepage about 2/3's of the way down the page, it's mounted to my old XR650, but it would fit on any bike, including my quad. It worked very well. Currently though I use a modified version of the foam pad I sell with the sheepskin seat covers we make that has a U-shape section cut out right under the prostate/groin area.

Believe me, you do not ever want to get prostatitis, a real pain in the ........ well close enough! lol

Dan

http://community-2.webtv.net/CHERDAN/MyVStromAccessories/

·
Registered
504 Posts
In my case, the prostititis was fungal in origin and not bacterial so when the doc gave me atibiotics it made things much worse. Alot of doctors don't take enough time to culture for the right bug. The most relief I've gotten is from Quercetin with Bromelain, it really seems to do the trick for me. Also, pelvic floor massage helps alot if done correctly.

Dan

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had chronic prostatitis for years but am fine if I keep the pressure off. I took the cover off of my stock seat, cut and inserted a sort of backward facing "U" of high density foam which was higher at the front and took the slope out. Then I added a lower density forward facing "U" and this left an open center. I recovered it and it is just a non issue to ride for hours on end. Great solution.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My question now is this. Has anybody tried the Susuki gel seat. If so how do you like it. Is it higher or lower than stock. Does it get hot if left in the sun? How does it compare to other aftermarket seats out there???
Thanks.
My gel seat was a drastic improvement over stock. It is higher, firmer, and the seating "pocket" is further to the rear. For taller riders, I believe it is the best "bang for the buck". I can't say whether it will help your condition. You could try it and sell the seat in the classifieds without losing much money.

The gel does heat up if left in direct sunlight without something over it. I'm sure it doesn't compare to a true custom seat like the Russel (I've never tried one but EVERYBODY seems to love their russel) but the cost reflects that. I know for me it has been a great solution. If I ever need more comfort, I will probably look at putting a bead rider over top of my gel seat. That solves the heat problem as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts