StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this is my second season on my 07 wee, and I think it's time to jazz her up a bit, I'm not a gear head but love my bike and would like some ideas of how to give her some more juice, I'll start off simple with intake and maybe down the road exhaust system, but until then is there any quick lil tips and tricks for me, that won't crush the vacation budget. And where is the best place to look for aftermarket parts etc for a Canuck in Alberta.... And is there a brighter guages (different colour display) that fit in my bike

Thanks for the input

·
$tromtrooper
845 Posts
I don't think you're going to gain much by performance upgrades. Most have experience very little gains with air and exhaust modification. It's just not worth the money spent for the very small gains. I know there is white face gauges available, do a search to find were you can get a set.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...] would like some ideas of how to give her some more juice, I'll start off simple with intake and maybe down the road exhaust system, [...]
I laff really hard at people who modify intake and exhaust systems (air filters and exhaust cans) in hopes of making more of anything except noise.

This is true of pretty much every stock 4-stroke engine built in the last 30 or 40 years (and I really wish people would eventually get it):
- There are no restrictions that matter upstream of the intake valve.
- There are no restrictions that matter downstream of the exhaust valve.

It's useless to tune an intake or an exhaust while an engine's flow ability is restricted by its valvetrain and maximum piston velocity.

If you want more juice out of your bike, start by grinding yourself some custom camshafts and then programming the spark and injector timing to work with them. You might also want to increase valve size and cut some prettier seats. Forced induction is your only other alternative.

All the intake/exhaust hype does is keep aftermarket manufacturers in business. A fool and his money are indeed easily parted.

If you're willing to rip your dash apart, I bet you could change the red LEDS for some white or blue ones, if that's what you want. I like the red; it doesn't mess with my night vision too much.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have found that changing the suspension makes a lot of difference in performance. The other modification is rider training. If you need more power just downshift, there is plenty of smooth power available. Riding techniques will get you the biggest bang for the buck. Kieth

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree, intake and exhaust upgrades are far to pricey for the amount of improvement you get. If you just want the bike to feel snappier you could try playing with gearing...go up a tooth in the back or down a tooth in the front (I think I said that right)

As far as the dash, I was browsing ebay the other day at V-strom parts (I don't even own one yet) and noticed some LED kits in various colors....even pink...haha. Do a search and see what you find.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I like the "lose ten pounds" approach.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well this is my second season on my 07 wee, and I think it's time to jazz her up a bit, I'm not a gear head but love my bike and would like some ideas of how to give her some more juice, I'll start off simple with intake and maybe down the road exhaust system, but until then is there any quick lil tips and tricks for me, that won't crush the vacation budget. And where is the best place to look for aftermarket parts etc for a Canuck in Alberta.... And is there a brighter guages (different colour display) that fit in my bike

Thanks for the input
The fastest and cheapest path to more power is to upgrade the motorcycle. Fortunately, there is a direct path for you to follow, and it's labeled DL1000.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
This is true of pretty much every stock 4-stroke engine built in the last 30 or 40 years (and I really wish people would eventually get it):
- There are no restrictions that matter upstream of the intake valve.
- There are no restrictions that matter downstream of the exhaust valve.
This statement is so STUPID I can't even think of a response:headbang:

·
Registered
98 Posts
The Wee is what it is. You can’t get blood from a turnip and you ain’t going to turn this bike into a rocket and even if you do get a few extra ponies, is going from 62 to 65 hp really going to make your adrenaline pump??

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
If you just want the bike to feel snappier you could try playing with gearing...go up a tooth in the back or down a tooth in the front (I think I said that right)
For the quickest, cheapest down and dirty throttle performance, do this.

- and yes, you said it right.

·
Registered
609 Posts
+1, I was thinking the exact same thing. In fact, I amost cant think of a stock motorcycle or car that cant benefit from both. In fact most car tuners will tell you this is also the best bang for your buck in terms of perfomance impropvements.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
My Subaru WRX is a 4-stroke motor, and after installing the turbo back exhaust, I gained 25 lb-ft of torque, then after the tune, I gained 3-4 times that for a total All Wheel torque on the mustang AWD dyno of 312.3lb-ft. So yeah. Exhaust and intake are worthless. The HP didn't jump as much (only about 20HP post tune) because the turbo is too small...but exhaust and intake are helpful.

They may not make the peak jump very much, but they do add to what matters...the area under the curve. Look at the dyno for a bike with an exhaust or intake. They tend to add a little power everywhere which results in more usable power everywhere. Don't worry about peak numbers, but make it better throughout the range. That being said, the exhaust mods for the VStrom really aren't that stupendous for the money. It equates to about a 5% increase in performance if you gain 3HP. Probably not too noticeable. If I ever need more power, I'll just buy a different bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
+1, I was thinking the exact same thing. In fact, I amost cant think of a stock motorcycle or car that cant benefit from both. In fact most car tuners will tell you this is also the best bang for your buck in terms of perfomance impropvements.
I think cars are more restricted intake and exhaust wise...but there's definetly room for tuning on a bike. I did an open air box mod on my DRZ and that alone made a big difference, throttle was more responsive and seemed snappier.

However, seeing how the cost of the average pipe for a V-strom is in excess of $400 it doesn't seem like to most cost effective mod.

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Depending on your definition of "matter", it's largely a true statement. At least in the non-cruiser world. Exhaust and (particularly) airbox design got a LOT better in the '80s, and you typically don't gain any more than 5-7hp from a new exhaust and opened up intake. Usually hard to feel on the butt dyno.
There's a few exceptions, but not many.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Depending on your definition of "matter", it's largely a true statement. At least in the non-cruiser world. Exhaust and (particularly) airbox design got a LOT better in the '80s, and you typically don't gain any more than 5-7hp from a new exhaust and opened up intake. Usually hard to feel on the butt dyno.
There's a few exceptions, but not many.
I agree completely when it comes to motorcycles, they have come a long way since the 80's as far as power goes. He said ALL 4 stroke engines, which I do not agree with. Especially when it comes to automotive powerplants.....

·
Registered
490 Posts
It could be smoke and mirrors but...

I'd contact 'Blair' at SV Racing and get his input.
I 'Heard' while talking to a rider from Seattle last Sunday that there are a couple of things that can be done.
1. Advance the spark by 4 degrees. There's an alleged kit available for $70.00 to do this. It includes a key way and flywheel puller.
2. Intake snorkel and replacement with spun aluminum velocity stacks.

I have NOT done these mods. I've only heard about them.
The Seattle rider is supposed to call me with more info. as far as who has these mod's available.
As soon as I hear more, I'll post them up.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I'd contact 'Blair' at SV Racing and get his input.
I 'Heard' while talking to a rider from Seattle last Sunday that there are a couple of things that can be done.
1. Advance the spark by 4 degrees. There's an alleged kit available for $70.00 to do this. It includes a key way and flywheel puller.
2. Intake snorkel and replacement with spun aluminum velocity stacks.

I have NOT done these mods. I've only heard about them.
The Seattle rider is supposed to call me with more info. as far as who has these mod's available.
As soon as I hear more, I'll post them up.
I'd be really interested to know if this works

1 - 20 of 40 Posts