StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am a new Strom owner. Loved it for the 1 day I got to ride it. haha Unfortunately now I have a bad fuel pump :thumbdown:
Wow, these are expensive. I am only getting about 8 psi. I have tried to search if there were cheaper alternatives but no luck. I have also look on ebay with no luck. There is one in the for sale board that fits a 650 the same year. Not sure it that will work or not. I seen one thread that said they were different part numbers then another one that said the 04-06 650.1000's were the same. Anyone know for sure? Or have actually used a 650 pump on a 1000? Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
A more descriptive thread title and posting the year and model of your bike would help although the avatar shows a DL1000. '04-'06 650s and all years of DL1000 use the same fuel pump. When they have problems it's almost always a clogged high pressure filter although the screen at the bottom can also have problems. Replacing the HP filter section or doing an external bypass on an early DL650 or any DL1000 are the usual recommendations.

External Fuel Filter modification

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the info. Sorry about the description. You are right, it is an 05 DL 1000. I have taken the assembly apart. The screen was full of rust a dirt. Surprisingly I was able to get it fairly clean. I will do the High pressure mod and test the pressure again. Again thanks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I have done the mod, now I am back to 43 psi. Put it all together and right at first felt great. But very quickly felt like it had a flat spot from 3k all the way through the rpm range. this is within a mile, the more i rode the worse I got. About 5 mile round trip. Thought maybe the inline fuel filter was holding it up a bit. so i took everything back apart and done away with the filter just to see if it made a difference. took it back out. only a mile this time. it kept getting worse. so bad in fact I was wondering if I was going to make it home.......Now I am stumped. The PO said he just had to have the injectors cleaned. And when I had it all apart i soaked them for a couple of hours in seafoam.

·
38,104 Posts
It sure seems like there is water or crud in the fuel. I wouldn't start wholesale part replacement but clean everything and use fresh fuel to start with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, Still no Luck. But here's what I got. I found a guy parting his 03 DL1000 out. I got everything from the pump to the injectors. So this should solve my problem. Everyone has said that all years DL1000 interchange. But the pic he sent me of his pump has an extra wire on the pump? What do you guys think. I am getting to complete setup for 200 +shipping. I guess worse case I can switch everything out to my base right? I though mine only had 2 of the round posts? I may be wrong. it almost looks like a second ground because it's black with a white stripe?

·
38,104 Posts
The only difference is the early fuel pump had two ground connections for some odd reason. You could combine the two B/W wires and change the connectors. If you can't find a matching connector, you can replace both with some other 3 or more wire connector.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I was thinking. Thanks so much for the help. I just didn't want to mess it up. Hopefully should have all this in the next day or two so i can ride more than around my driveway. haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts