StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everysince ive owned my bike the fast idle hasnt worked. Well i decided to try and check it,, well after following the manual and checking the voltage output from the tps. It shows 5 volts with the fast idle arm closed and fully opened.. theres no drop or rise.. i dont get it. the voltage is supposed to be 1.21 volts. help please. its my only ride. oh yea, its a 2005 dl650

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update

OK i got the fast idle working, turns out after years of wear, the fast idle arm wasnt touching the stva. so i adjusted it and it now brings the idle up to about 2500 rpm when cold.. What is others rpm. im not sure if its to high. it drops off after a few minutes of idle, then settles at 1300 rpm.

OK so heres my other question. When testing the TPS i couldnt get it to read any other voltage besides 5 volts.. Any ideas?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Are you sure you are checking the output voltage, not the input voltage? A TPS test wire harness 09900-28630 is listed as a requirement for checking the output voltage. I have not done the test myself so am unfamiliar with the process.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
My TPS went out of adjustment for no good reason. I just set the bike in dealer mode and used the instrument display to readjust mine to the correct setting. There is a detailed thread on how to do this and the procedure was more accurate than what the manual had for directions. The issue with mine was stalling when I pulled clutch in or RPMs dropped below 2000 or so.

As for fast idle...mine jumps up to around 1800 and settles in at 1400 rpm when warm.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
According to the manual, if i stick the probe of the pos to the red wire, and the Neg to the b/br, with the ignition on, i should get a varrying reading, of like 1.21v. i cant get it to change.. confusing.

As far as the high hidle, should i adjust it down to about 2k rpm on start up?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New update

OK, so i finaly got around to doing the fuel flow test per the manual. I was about 40 ml off the minimum. As curiosity got the better of me, i stripped down the fuel pump to have a look. I found some small particles of dirt and what not in the lower filter screen. Ok so i washed them out with carb cleaner. then i got deeper ito it an got down to the expensive filter. Out of curiosity again, i filled up the filter from the outlet side with carb cleaner let soak for a few, then lighty blew it out with the air compressor... OMG. it lookd like a bowl of black soup that came outa there. at first i was like, maybe a shadow, but no, so i did it again, backflushing the filter at least 3 more times, and got alot more out of there. Then i cleaned out the pump itself and then reinstalled it back into the tank. Then i hooked the pump up to power and flushed it once more. lemme tell ya,, the pump sounded awsome again and the fuel flow was tremendus. There was a little bit more debree that came out when i flushed it.. After putting it all back together, i took it for a ride. Felt like she had another 20hp.. so i guess that was my problem all along, low fuel, and was starving.

·
38,104 Posts
According to the manual, if i stick the probe of the pos to the red wire, and the Neg to the b/br, with the ignition on, i should get a varrying reading, of like 1.21v. i cant get it to change.. confusing.
You are measuring the input voltage. It will always be between 4.5-5.5V.

The procedure for measuring the output voltage is as follows.

1) Connect the TP sensor coupler.
2) Insert the needle pointed probes to the lead wire coupler.
3) Turn the ignition switch ON.
Measure the TP sensor output voltage at the coupler
(between @ P/W and @ B/Br) by turning the throttle grip.
TP sensor output voltage
Throttle valve is closed : Approx. 1.12 V
Throttle valve is opened: Approx. 4.26 V

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ok, ill try it your way as well.. maybe the manual, said the wrong wire color.. i dont know,, not big into electronics and such. Maybe u can look at it and tell me if i was reading the wrong thing. Heres a cliping from it.

If the TP sensor output voltage is out of specification, turn the
fast idle adjusting screw and adjust the output voltage to
specification.
TP sensor output voltage: 1.21 V
(Red - BIBr)
:confused::confused::confused:
Maybe its because my manual is for an 04 and my bike is an 05.. not sure

·
38,104 Posts
My book says the same thing. The procedure part says P/W and B/Br in a couple of places so it must be a misprint. R and B/Br is definitely the input side. See p9-50 and p4-30.

I posted a note at Error in Service Manual for DL650 electrical test

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup you are right. musta been a typo in the book. Glad we found that. maybe itll help others.. I can see now why i couldnt get the voltage to change from 5v..lol.. Anyway thanks. Ill have to take the bike apart again to check it.. after flushing the filters out last night, i had to take a ride on it to work and try it out. Well hopefully il get to it this weekend... Thanks Jason

·
Registered
712 Posts
Maybe its because my manual is for an 04 and my bike is an 05.. not sure
No, I agree with GW, the manual's just wrong, on that page at least. I looked at my manual to follow your discussion. Mine I bought last year, goes to K9, but still has the same error as yours in the original K4 section. I penciled in the correction. Thanks, to you and GW.

BTW, you'll be glad to hear that in the short K5 addendum, the manual states "The specifications and service data are the same as K4-MODEL". It has, also in the K5 section, a page with a drawing of the exhaust, showing a couple rubber bumpers on the muffler bracket holding the heat shield in place (big deal), and extra contacts on the starter switch, cutting power to the headlights when the starter switch is pressed. I don't know if these reflect changes to the bike or only to manual.

So feel free to trust the manual as much as you presently do (!). Overall, I have seen worse.

·
38,104 Posts
The starter switch headlight cutout started in '05.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts