StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I said to myself "This should be easy". It was until I got stumped. Mounted the Stebel, ran wires from the battery to a relay and hooked up the horn. So far so good. Used a scrap piece of wire to trigger the relay and WOW. Now here I am up against a wall. Where do I tie into the horn wiring to activate the relay for the Stebel. I tried unplugging the stock horn and using the connector to provide power to the relay. One side of the connector will make the horn blow continuously as soon as I turn the key on and the other side of the connector does nothing. An all or nothing situation that is not very satisfactory. Maybe I am missing the obvious but need some input. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
The stock horn connector is what you want to use to trigger the relay. I drew this up a few weeks ago for someone else who was hooking one up, and it should show you what you need.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Scott. Another quick question. Where do I find the factory horn lead(orange and white)wire ?? Is it in the sheathed wire bundle that goes from the lefthand grip down into the fairing ?? If it is, then all I will have to do is cut it open and tap into the orange/white wire to trigger the relay. Hopefully I am understanding this correctly. Some of us old guys need all the help we can get. lol.

·
Registered
131 Posts
WW, when I did my horn, I unplugged the stock horn connector from the stock horn and used blade connectors to run wires from the horn connector to the relay. No need to splice into the horn wiring.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now why didn't I think of that ??? Will try that idea. Sure would be nice to have a controlled attention getter. Did you have to sort out the two wires or did it make any difference ?? Okay, it is a stupid question but it is getting late.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Following SCraig's diagram, the two horn leads on terminals 85 and 86 just complete the circuit to the relay coil when the horn button is pressed. The coil polarity is unimportant. It doesn't matter which stock horn lead is used for 85 or 86. Just use either for 85 and the other for 86.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Sorry, went to bed before I got your question. Looks like you got your answers though.

I did exactly the same as Tac3 and used spade connectors that plug into the factory connector.

Greywolf is also exactly right, as always ;) That side of the relay is nothing but a coil of wire that acts as an electromagnet. In fact the polarity on either side is really unimportant. As long as the load goes through pins 30 and 87 and the control through 85 and 86 you should be just fine.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
So where are the recommended locations for mounting a Stebel? I don't have engine protector bars so that isn't an option.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
Mine is behind the fairing on the right side. I used some BIG radiator hose clamps to hold it to one of the tubes that supports the fairing.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Stebel and polarity

My horn is polarity conscious. The compressor runs either way but honks only if polarity is correct.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The polarity is not affected by the relay connections though. They just complete the circuit. Switch 30 and 87 in the diagram and the positive terminal of the horn still gets connected to the positive terminal of the battery.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
The polarity is not affected by the relay connections though. They just complete the circuit. Switch 30 and 87 in the diagram and the positive terminal of the horn still gets connected to the positive terminal of the battery.
You are correct. I should probably have quoted:

"In fact the polarity on either side is really unimportant. As long as the load goes through pins 30 and 87 and the control through 85 and 86 you should be just fine."

·
Registered
47 Posts
So where are the recommended locations for mounting a Stebel? I don't have engine protector bars so that isn't an option.
I used the lower radiator mount bolt. Buy a new one that's 5mm longer. I used a piece of aluminum plate (1" x .625" x .25") so the horn is mounted a bit below the bolt. Easy, convenient and nothing obstruct the horn's glorious sound.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
mcdstrom said:
Like Tomb the right hand lower rad mount is also what I used. Ditto on the longer bolt. The stock bolt does not quite reach.
See installation pics at my projects page
I put on a piece of plastic tubing on the drain hole of the horn after the photos were taken.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh good for me............sort of. Got the Stebel working as advertised. Then went on to the wiring for the grips. In the course of working in the Bat Cave with a flashlight I managed to undo the horn wiring somewhere. Humbug, I would get real pi$$ed if it wasn't so funny. After the handguards I am quiting the farkle business. Weeeelllll maybe kinda sorta almost until another special item comes along.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Sounds to me like your location (ie. BatCave) may be a large part of your troubles.

Now, it seems like I've been stirring up more than my share of trouble, but, I doubt working by flashlight would be considered optimal.

Now, if you were using a headlight of some type, things could be very different.

Mountain Equipment Co-op seems to have quite a selection...

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302697057

...although I am partial to something more decorative...

I can't see how it is attached, maybe duct taped to his back? ;)

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heavy, Tried the headlight route, less than successful. Will be going down soon to continue my labours and enjoy the warmer temps while the wires will bend a little easier. Ya ya, whine snivel etc. +17 here today and I am going underground......should be out riding but I am determined to roll out with everything working correctly and intact( this does not particularily refer to my sanity ). I could roll out Lynda's bike but I think there would be health issues involved when I got back.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well now I am really getting annoyed with my efforts. Got the horn back in service. Started over with extra care and attention on the heated grips. Traced as much as possible with the testlight and felt a good job was near done. Double checked to be sure. Turned the key, turned on the grips and presto..........right side hot and left side cold as my first wife's heart. Same on HI or LOW settings. So I am thinking I have a defective heating element or a defective ground wire from the left grip. Will have to do further testing. Has anyone had the misfortune of getting a defective grip heater or a pinched or separated ground wire ?? I am inclined to suspect the ground wire is the problem as both HI and LOW do not function. Any suggestions and possible fixes will be more than appreciated as this point in time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts