StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sirius satalite radio but need to know how I can use it on the Wee. I know I will need a mount for the antenea and a power outlet... What else do I need to be able to listen to it on the bike?

Has anyone out there installed a Serius radio?
Got pics?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, we could go through a lot of beer discussing those pics...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, come on over :D.

What did your project set you back (excluding your receiver and antenea)

Portland, OR

·
Registered
981 Posts
1. Ampli-rider is a MUST, otherwise you won't have any volume to your helmet. It comes with a very useful volume control knob.

2. Get a RAM mount for the handlebars. It's well worth $40 and it doubles as a 4-screw mount and a camera mount. It's super stable for taking riding videos.

3. Buy this from Crutchfield.com: PAC SNI-1/3.5 Noise Filter. Without it, you'll have ton of spark plug/alternator noise.

I have a Sirius Starmate that mounts horzontally and it fits perfectly in the space between the bar risers. I chopped down the antenna wire to about 2ft. and mounted it with velcro on top of the left side brake reservoir. It can always see the sky. The volume control box is mounted, again with velcro, under the left side handlebar between the bar and the control cables. A single zip tie keeps it tight. This setup looks clean and neat on the front...almost like it is part of the bike. There's a small ziploc baggie and a rubber band in my coat pocket for when it rains...and it works great in a Florida downpour.

Get a cheapo cigarette lighter from Wal-mart and attach it to the battery for power. That's a great add to the bike regardless.

·
Registered
195 Posts
hate to argue w/ bobo, but i have an Xact mounted on a RAM mount to the handlebar. the cut down antenna is velcroed on the master cyclinder reservoir and power is provided by a powerlet outlet in the plastic 'fairing' panel. i have a set of etymotic er6 earplugs and have no need for any volume amplification. nor do i pick up any sparkplug noise....
upsidedown zip lock bag provides weather protection.
i get on the bike in the drive, put earplugs in and tune to sirius disorder. 8 hrs later, i arrive at my destination, never having had to change station, adjust volume, etc.....
next, i wanna try a 'wireless' setup using an mp3 player w/ an fm tuner clipped to the front of my darien since the Xact has a built-in fm modulator.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I agree, the audio directly from the head unit is clean, but volume control was necessary because I commute 5 days a week. The audio runs from the radio, along the frame, and into the amp under the seat. It took a while to find an in-line filter that didn't have RCA connectors, but I finally have a clean signal.

I use helmet speakers and foam earplugs, and it works great. You probably get isolation with the etys, but I've never had much luck keeping them in place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts