StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 wee 24000 miles on her. I left bike parked under a cover for 6 weeks. Started up today and fuel started running down from what i think was the underside of the tank. Steady slow stream. after a few minutes it slowed to a drip. Drove it around and it seems to have stopped. Drove it a few miles no leak no smell of gas. Any ideas before i pull the plastic and raise the tank as to what the problem is and what is needed for the fix?? Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
No, but if you prop the tank up and start it cold again you may be able to spot the problem. If you smell it again but do not see anything you may have to remove the airbox to get a better view of connections into the TBs (the bike will run without the airbox mounted, although you will get an error message on the gauge -- ignore it). You are not looking at a lot of exposed fuel line down there so the leak should be obvious.

Use caution: the fuel system is running at over 40 psi so a small leak can get very dramatic if you jiggle a loose connection enough to detach it. Put out your cigar before starting.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Greywolf is dead-on (when isn't he? :confused:)

Make sure to read the whole thread he references, especially the posts about using FUEL INJECTION hose and how to install the new, short section which will seem highly uncooperative at first.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Having the leak start after a layoff is a big clue to the short hose being the problem. It tends to dry out and lose seal. The other fuel lines and not compression fittings. Rarely, the O-rings in the fuel rails can dry out and cause a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts