StromTrooper banner

Need help taking out a stripped 4mm bolt

5445 52
One of the bolts on the plastic trim is stripped. See picture attached. Any idea how I can get it out? It’s quite rounded and not catching at all. The bike is new to me and the more I try the more rounded it’s getting.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Finally got back from my travels and after a full evening of wrestling with the bolt, the bolt is still stuck.

So far I’ve tried:

• letting it soak in liquid wrench and later in WD40
  • cutting a slit using a dremel and using a flat head
  • speed out extractor
  • cutting a second slit using a dremel
  • strategic whacks at a slanted angle
  • torx bits — doesn’t grab at all
  • pleading to the bolt

The speed out extractor isn’t grabbing. I’m following the instructions as best as I can, but it’s not really working out for me. The second slit that I cut had the most purchase in term of grip, but the bolt is really stuck in there.

At this point I’m thinking of going to a welder and having them weld a nut or something on to it so I can turn it with a vice grip. I’m unsure if the fuel tank will pose a fire hazard.

I damaged the trim around the bolt a bit too. At least it’s not a brand new bike.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
If the right tool can't do it bashing in a torx bit would be wishful thinking

The heat from the welder may be enough to get things moving, you should be able to find someone willing to give it a go

·
Registered
2004 Kawasaki KLV1000
209 Posts
If the right tool can't do it bashing in a torx bit would be wishful thinking

The heat from the welder may be enough to get things moving, you should be able to find someone willing to give it a go
I believe that putting a welder to the nut would melt the fairing.. Best bet is still to use a large drill and take the head of the bolt, as you would do with a rivet..
@sr248 Have you tried to use a hammer and a chisel and get it moving? Just a thought..

Reactions: hillsy

·
Vendor
7,485 Posts
The next step is to VERY CAREFULLY drill through the center of the head with a bit that is the same size as the OD of the threads. Stop when the head comes off. A left-handed drill bit works best and often once it starts cutting will spin the bolt out. However, a regular 11/64" drill bit will get the head off allowing the removal of the bodywork and then removal of the remaining part of the bolt.

Or stop by on your way to Atlanta. I'll get it out for you.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 · (Edited)
I believe that putting a welder to the nut would melt the fairing.. Best bet is still to use a large drill and take the head of the bolt, as you would do with a rivet..
@sr248 Have you tried to use a hammer and a chisel and get it moving? Just a thought..
Yeah -- tried a hammer with a large flathead screwdriver. No luck.

The next step is to VERY CAREFULLY drill through the center of the head with a bit that is the same size as the OD of the threads. Stop when the head comes off. A left-handed drill bit works best and often once it starts cutting will spin the bolt out. However, a regular 11/64" drill bit will get the head off allowing the removal of the bodywork and then removal of the remaining part of the bolt.

Or stop by on your way to Atlanta. I'll get it out for you.
Thanks, Rick. I was hoping to have done this on my own, but I might take you up on this. I will give it another shot tonight. If it doesn't work out, I'll send you a PM.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
The bolt is out! And it’s all thanks to @richlandrick.

Rick and Gloria are not just nice people, they are way above and beyond that. On the road earlier, 2 of the 4 wellnuts in my windshield had come out because I didn’t tighten them enough. Rick saw the windshield strapped to the pillion seat and gave me a full set using his own hardware to mount the windshield back.

And the bolt that I went to Rick for was no joke either. I’m so glad I didn’t attempt any further than I had. There was absolutely no way I could have taken it out. I just don’t have the skills nor the experience.

It was just so nice to meet Gloria and him and drink a cup of coffee there. His workshop is great and full of all kinds of tools. It’s so clear that he enjoys and takes pride in his craft. If you’re reading this you probably already know him or his products but if you don’t, go check out adventure tech and buy his stuff!

Rick — thank you so much once again! Such a pleasure to have met you and Gloria.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well, at last it is done! Hopefully along the way others read this and learn a few new tricks of the trade.

Reactions: Gert

·
Vendor
7,485 Posts
@sr248 ,

Thanks for those kind words, we enjoy people stopping by and I just love working on motorcycles.

But folks, this young man is a real motorcyclist. He has done the TAT and is planning on some, even more, epic adventurous rides. And let me tell you it was cold that morning. He had no windscreen, but he had a smile that went from ear to ear.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts