StromTrooper banner

Need help taking out a stripped 4mm bolt

5189 52
One of the bolts on the plastic trim is stripped. See picture attached. Any idea how I can get it out? It’s quite rounded and not catching at all. The bike is new to me and the more I try the more rounded it’s getting.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
In your statement I can't tell what you mean by rounded. Do you mean the bolt head where the wrench goes is rounded, or the threads are rounded? You may have to put a slot in that bolt to get a purchase on it.
This is SO Suzuki, poor quality fasteners.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
I would use a easy out.

Screw Extractor Easy Out Broken Bolt Removal the Easy Way - YouTube

You should ensure you have the best quality tools so this is less likely to happen in the future.

With socket head bolts crack them loose before putting the ball end of the tool in, the flat end can have a little more surface area so more grip. less strip.

The bolt will be 6mm not 4mm, if you can remove the bolt from the other side and have a good look at it so you know what you are up for before drilling the hole and try to get the easy out in while the bolt is hot from the hole being drilled, the heat will help it crack loose.

I have not watched the video I find most people on YouTube useless.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
You don't need an easy out or special extractor like an engine bolt. It is just a panel screw so you only need something that can grip it enough to turn it. I have used a torx bit to remove a munged allen head screw. They are star shaped and can get enough grip to turn it. I'd buy a security torx bit set that includes the size for the TPS screw in case you ever want to adjust your throttle position sensor which uses the security bits (it has a hole in the center).

Edit: Security Torx bits are also used on the ignition switch.

Auto part Automotive wheel system Rectangle Metal Font

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tips, everyone. I am using some JB weld epoxy to bond an allen key with the bolt head. Once it cures I'll try to get it off. If that doesn't work I'll try to drill it out. I've already tried different torx bits but no luck with gripping there unfortunately.

·
Registered
2014 DL 650, 2014 KLX250s
75 Posts
I had the same issues on the same bolts (3 or 4) last year. What a hassle!
I tried the above suggestions but the whole head twisted off. I ended up carefully drilling them out, used an easy-out to get most of the remaining bolt metal out, then chased the threads with a bottom tap. Fortunately there was enough thread remaining to hold the bolts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Motorcycle fasteners are soft like butter. My Honda fasteners are no different from my Suzukis. I always have a kit of cheap spares in various sizes on hand. The Torx bit is usually all that is required for the fairing bolts given their low torque, but like Crabtrap I have had the heads shear off so you are then forced to try to drill them out without messing up the threaded hole.

Because of this I am super careful, but it doesn’t seem to matter. Butter is butter.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would NOT try to drill it out, you are just looking to make an inconvenience into a real problem. Try the Torx bit first. If that doesn't work there are some special low priced sockets just made to remove this sort of screw. You can find these at your local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Also there are lots of them listed on Amazon.
Another way is to use a center punch or a small sharp chisel and use it to break the screw loose. you just put the punch to one side, slant it in the direction you want to turn the screw and give it a few careful wacks.
I am a professional with decades of experience. I have removed more stripped screws than I would ever want to count. (Customers screwed them up and then brought them to the shop when they were hopelessly ruined! Gave me lots of practice).
Drilling is a lost resort. Its too easy to get the drill crooked in the hole and make it worse. Then you get an "easyout" down in the hole and break it off only to learn the "easyout" is made of a steel that is harder then your drill bit so your drill goes off center and crazy and then you have a real mess. I can drill a bolt clean in the center, done it many times. But....I learned this in Germany from a Master Mechanic who made you do it over and over until you could get it perfect. It takes a LOT of practice to be good at it. Even so, I find drilling to be the least desireable approach as its just too easy to screw it up.
Next time use a professional grade tool and make certain that is all the way down in the hole and is perfectly "square" with the opening. If the screw is hard to turn give it a few taps with a small hammer to break it loose.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Whatever method you are using to try to free the bolt try to tighten it just a little until it breaks fee. The torque required is lower when you tighten then when you loosen. The thread geometrics are designed to be self locking, so the break open torques is higher when you untighten compared to when you tighten. I know sounds crazy but that's one of the few things I learned and remembered from the engineering class at college, and it works!

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Don't hit the bolt.

It is screwed into a bracket that is standing off the tank and spot welded in place, hitting the bolt can easily bend the bracket this will stuff up the alinement of the body parts.

·
Vendor
7,455 Posts
Where do you live?

I you are near Clover SC stop by my shop and we'll have it out in about 1 minute (gratis of course). I do it quite often and took a stripped M3 x 5 mm screw out yesterday (different bike)

There are some really good suggestions above. The only thing I would add, and this is important, is to give the threads a shot of liquid wrench (or equivalent) and let it soak a while before attempting the removal.

·
Registered
2014 Dl1000 Adventure ABS
25 Posts
Perhaps use left hand drill bits to make the hole for the ez out.... as its getting warm from drilling, it may just hook up and twist it out. Whatever route you go, use heat, and as suggested, some version of penetrating oil. Everyone will have an opinion but i usually use PB Blaster. Goodluck!

Adam.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would NOT try to drill it out, you are just looking to make an inconvenience into a real problem. Try the Torx bit first. If that doesn't work there are some special low priced sockets just made to remove this sort of screw. You can find these at your local hardware store, Home Depot, Lowes, etc. Also there are lots of them listed on Amazon.
Another way is to use a center punch or a small sharp chisel and use it to break the screw loose. you just put the punch to one side, slant it in the direction you want to turn the screw and give it a few careful wacks.
I am a professional with decades of experience. I have removed more stripped screws than I would ever want to count. (Customers screwed them up and then brought them to the shop when they were hopelessly ruined! Gave me lots of practice).
Drilling is a lost resort. Its too easy to get the drill crooked in the hole and make it worse. Then you get an "easyout" down in the hole and break it off only to learn the "easyout" is made of a steel that is harder then your drill bit so your drill goes off center and crazy and then you have a real mess. I can drill a bolt clean in the center, done it many times. But....I learned this in Germany from a Master Mechanic who made you do it over and over until you could get it perfect. It takes a LOT of practice to be good at it. Even so, I find drilling to be the least desireable approach as its just too easy to screw it up.
Next time use a professional grade tool and make certain that is all the way down in the hole and is perfectly "square" with the opening. If the screw is hard to turn give it a few taps with a small hammer to break it loose.
Thanks -- lots of helpful advice here. I will remember them for next time. I've tried a torx bit and also tried slanted gentle whacks in counter clock wise direction after letting it soak in liquid wrench for a few hours, but no luck. The slot I cut with a dremel is now started to round out.

Where do you live?

I you are near Clover SC stop by my shop and we'll have it out in about 1 minute (gratis of course). I do it quite often and took a stripped M3 x 5 mm screw out yesterday (different bike)

There are some really good suggestions above. The only thing I would add, and this is important, is to give the threads a shot of liquid wrench (or equivalent) and let it soak a while before attempting the removal.
Thanks, that's very kind of you. I live in NYC, so about two days riding from you. I am actually heading towards Atlanta around Thanksgiving time. If the bolt is still stuck and you are available, I might take you up on that offer!

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. The bolt is still stuck. I will be traveling for about a month, so I will tackle this when I get back. And I will most definitely report back.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts