StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read the other threads on the aux connector on this site and not found this problem. I have a 2014 DL650 V-Strom ADV, with the anti-lock brakes, US model. I got the aux connector wiring from Eastern Beaver and I intend to connect it to a USB charging port. I found the connector, thanks to another thread here and I got it plugged in.

The problem is that even though my battery is charged and I turned the ignition on, I used a VOM, properly set up, and there is no current running through that circuit. There are no blown fuses, I checked them all. The owner's manual doesn't even list the aux as a circuit running through any of the fuses. I also consulted a DL650 schematic in a service manual and the aux connector does not seem to be on there. The heated grip connector is, but not the aux.

I don't even know how to start diagnosing and fixing the problem. Please help!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it need to running, the engine I mean?
That's a "duh" on me! I should have tried that. I can't do it until tomorrow. It would be strange, though. Most everything comes on with the ignition switch.

Even if it works, I would still like to know what fuze that circuit runs through.

I will post back what I find out tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
5,142 Posts
I used the heated grips connector as my auxiliary power supply. Living in Queensland I have no need for heated grips.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The engine doesn't need to be running, ignition on will power the port. It runs off the ignition fuse so it is not a fuse problem or the engine wouldn't run. Did you put the VOM on the wires from the Eastern Beaver adapter?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figured it out and the advice that is on the ignition circuit helped. It was a blown ignition fuse. It looked good when I first checked it, but in retrospect must have been bad lighting. My bad. I appreciate the responses.

I do have a follow up question. I am concerned the 10 amp fuse in that circuit might not handle both the ignition and the USB port. Would it be safe to put a 15 amp fuse in that spot? I don't want to be at a stoplight somewhere and have to undo my phone from the USB port to be able to start the engine, out of fear of blowing fuse. I know I could switch the hookup to the heated handgrip connector, but I'd rather save that for something else.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
The circuit is designed as is for up to 3A at the AUX connector. That is plenty to handle any phone or GPS charging. I wouldn't consider upping a fuse rating, especially by 50%.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts