StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 1000 with a little over 8,000 miles. I bought the bike new but sadly it has spent most of its life in the garage.

I typically start and ride the bike a few miles each month just to keep it charged and running good.

Last weekend I started the bike and it was running a little rough. I figured it was from sitting. I took off down the road hoping it would clear up as it ran. I rode a little 4 mile loop and by the time I returned the left exhaust pipe was glowing red hot and actually caught the plastic on fire. The temperature indicator on the bike never showed "hot". It wasn't until I pulled in my driveway and my daughter yelled "the bike is on fire". I've worked on many dirtbikes over the years including complete rebuilds but never have had to work on my street bikes much.

Hoping that someone could tell me some possible issues that would have caused this. Its obviously running very lean in that cylinder. Any help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Do you have a Power Commander installed? Maybe that got out of whack and it's causing your bike to run that lean

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
What part of the exhaust was glowing hot? Was it the header pipe that is attached to the cylinder, or the downpipe at the rear?

I wonder what happens if one of the spark plugs don't fire. Surely the bike will run rough, and unburned fuel will be dumped in the exhaust where it might burn once it gets into contact with the exhaust gases from the other cylinder (downstream of the interconnect below the bike).

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Possibly the catalytic converter section could be blocked? For a sketch showing a cross-section of the exhaust, Can I lose the Catalytic Converter?. A quick test for a blockage would be to feel whether there is any exhaust pressure from the tail pipe of the exhaust that glowed, compared to the other exhaust.

·
Registered
13 Posts
do air filter (mouse nest possible, or other creatures, snake stuffed in there?) and plugs (junk build up when stored) and maybe flush coolant since is over heat lol. half joking
never heard of such a problem. If it were mine, every mechanic I'd take it to would say it's the "new" ethanol fuel lol good luck

·
Premium Member
2,640 Posts
My guess would be all that sitting around has clogged up the fuel line or injector for that cylinder with debris from the fuel tank

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What part of the exhaust was glowing hot? Was it the header pipe that is attached to the cylinder, or the downpipe at the rear?

I wonder what happens if one of the spark plugs don't fire. Surely the bike will run rough, and unburned fuel will be dumped in the exhaust where it might burn once it gets into contact with the exhaust gases from the other cylinder (downstream of the interconnect below the bike).
It was the muffler near the rear and it got so hot in a 10 min ride that it caught plastic on fire.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Run the bike idle for a few minutes, then do the "spit test" on the front and rear cylinder/exhaust header pipe, to see if combustion is taking place in the cylinders.

If the exhaust is red hot it must mean that the fuel doesn't burn in the cylinders, but unburned fuel burns in the exhaust itself. Could be because of a spark plug not firing, or - even worse - because of a failing exhaust valve.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It was the muffler near the rear and it got so hot in a 10 min ride that it caught plastic on fire.
Thankfully/hopefully you didn't have a passenger or luggage on board! Sounds like the catalyst has failed for some reason. That may occur because the exhaust is rich with unburned gasoline (one or more plugs not firing) or excessive crankcase vapors entering the airbox. I had the cat fail on a '80 Ford I had. The PCV was stuck open and allowed vapors and maybe oil droplets to be continuously burned, causing a too rich condition.The cat got so hot, it scorched the carpet directly over it. They put it on the hoist while running and it glowed cherry red. The air filter was saturated with gunk in the area where the crankcase vented into the air cleaner, and the whole inside of the air cleaner was oily.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I also have a 2006 dl1000. Bought it with 10,000 miles. Didn't have many miles put on it over the last 10 years. Ran ok for about 200 hundred miles, then started running like shit......
You'll have to first do a fuel flow test, (you can find that info on this website.) If that test tells you your not getting enough fuel you'll have to pull off tank and remove fuel pump and thoroughly clean. Also you'll have to clean out the gas tank. You'll know because there will be rust caked in the filter of the pump. You'll have to disassemble the pump to clean out accessible filter. There is also a nonserviceable filter that can be back flushed.
Next you'll have to remove the fuel rail and pull the fuel injectors and thoroughly clean them as well. Thats as far as I had to go and now she's running like a raped ape.
If after going through the fuel system and your still having problems next place to look would be checking for spark.
All the info you need for this task can be found on the internet ie, taking off plastic fairings and gas tank removal, fuel flow test and how to check injectors using a 9volt battery.

Hardest part of this task was taking off fairings. Also some advice ..... go through the whole system!
My gas tank and pump were so dirty that I was sure that was the problem so I reassembled and still had the same issues.....had to disassemble again to get to injectors
Hope this helps

1 - 11 of 11 Posts