StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning toward the Outback Trekker top case (and side cases). What are the pros and cons of the various top plate adapters? I see some are steel and some are aluminium. Several different brands available.

How do these attach to the bike? Holes to be drilled?

Any reason not to go with the SW Motech Steel Toprack?

Tipsy

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts
I have a Givi top box so went with the Givi bike specific plastic mount. It is very sturdy and comes with a bracket that attaches to the frame underneath for extra support back there. I suppose if I ever flipped the bike it might break off, but otherwise I can't imagine any issues with it being plastic. The grab bars are made of plastic anyways, so not sure there is any benefit to mounting aluminum/steel on top of that.

You need to buy whatever bracket works with your bag choice though. Aluminum would likely be lighter and not rust as easily.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a Givi top box so went with the Givi bike specific plastic mount. It is very sturdy and comes with a bracket that attaches to the frame underneath for extra support back there. I suppose if I ever flipped the bike it might break off, but otherwise I can't imagine any issues with it being plastic. The grab bars are made of plastic anyways, so not sure there is any benefit to mounting aluminum/steel on top of that.

You need to buy whatever bracket works with your bag choice though. Aluminum would likely be lighter and not rust as easily.
Thanks for the reply. I guess this is the mount you used?

Tipsy

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey tipsy, I just ordered and installed the sw-motech steel rack. It seems to be built very well. I like the mtg plates vs specific racks in case I decide to do something different, I have a good plate to strap something to if need be.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey tipsy, I just ordered and installed the sw-motech steel rack. It seems to be built very well. I like the mtg plates vs specific racks in case I decide to do something different, I have a good plate to strap something to if need be.
Okay...dumb question, but how exactly is a mounting plate different? And what was required to mount in on the Vee2?

Tipsy

·
Registered
167 Posts
The SW-Motech will hold your top box just fine. It will also hold another top box if you change, it is also pre-drilled to hold Rotopax holders and has places for bungees. It looks good, is functional, will last forever. It is the no-brainer for me.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The SW-Motech will hold your top box just fine. It will also hold another top box if you change, it is also pre-drilled to hold Rotopax holders and has places for bungees. It looks good, is functional, will last forever. It is the no-brainer for me.
So basically, using the Motech plate just gives you more options? Am I correct that if you use the Motech plate, you still need some kind of Givi mount on the plate to attach the (Outback Trekker) top box?

On my Uly, I never once removed the top box in eight years, so I guess that's sort of how I'm coming at this. But I guess it's always nice to have options.

Tispy

·
phatguy in Cbus
182 Posts
What Bville-Bud said. And Yes...SW Motech sells adapter hardware to accommodate Givi, Kappa, Trax, Hepco & Becker, Shad, etc. They also sell quick release adapter plates which you can configured to these above mentioned Mfgs. so one can use a mixture of top boxes. Steel is real!!

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What Bville-Bud said. And Yes...SW Motech sells adapter hardware to accommodate Givi, Kappa, Trax, Hepco & Becker, Shad, etc. They also sell quick release adapter plates which you can configured to these above mentioned Mfgs. so one can use a mixture of top boxes. Steel is real!!
Got it. Thanks for the replies!

Tipsy

·
Premium Member
4,219 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've the givi. I know nothing about the sw motech plate but I went with the givi because of the rear support. I don't use panniers and put a fair weight in the top box and the wife leans against it to so the more rear support the better!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts