StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Troops. I got a refurb Garmin Drive 50LM today from Amazon. The gps has a socket on the back of it that snaps over a small ball on an automotive suction cup mount. I am trying to get the thing mounted onto my long RAM arm that has sockets on each end for 1" balls. One end of this arm is already attached to a 1" ball on my front brake reservoir. I would like the gps to be able to quickly disconnect from the bike so I could take it into a restaurant with me. I do have an X Grip that fits the RAM arm but the arms are not deep enough front to back to hold the outer edges considering the 1/2" depth of the socket on the back of the gps.

I am attaching a pic of the back of the gps and also a pic of the arm on the brake reservoir. Could someone tell me what I would need to make this work?

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
What you need is one of these. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-230U (hopefully 1" is the correct size.)

Can I also recommend that you consider one of these. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA50U
The reason is that I have found that my GPS (especially when mounted at the end of an extension) is subject to moving its position when I hit bumps in the road. Recommended by SECoda here in one of his posts re GPS is to apply a small amount of Loctite to the ball to prevent this from happening. Obviously, you cannot do this when you are continually removing the GPS from its ball mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you need is one of these. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-230U (hopefully 1" is the correct size.)

Can I also recommend that you consider one of these. https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-GA50U
The reason is that I have found that my GPS (especially when mounted at the end of an extension) is subject to moving its position when I hit bumps in the road. Recommended by SECoda here in one of his posts re GPS is to apply a small amount of Loctite to the ball to prevent this from happening. Obviously, you cannot do this when you are continually removing the GPS from its ball mount.
Thanks Brockie. The reason I went with this model gps was that it was cheap. I had searched the RAM site and could only come up with double balls of the same size on each end. I think that I need a size A on one end and a size B on the other. I do like the double ball idea but I think that I would be more comfortable with the cradle. It seems that it would hold the gps better with more stability. The problem with the cradle would be that the socket on the back of the Drive 50 sticks out 1/2" and would not allow the gps to sit down with it's back flush into the cradle. I am truly thinking of charging up the gps today, which I have not done yet, and taking it out in direct sunlight to see if it has acceptable viewability. If so, I might Dremel cut the socket off of the back of the gps. It would be un-returnable to Amazon at that point and also not usable with the supplied automotive suction mount in case the it would not work for the motorcycle. I was just looking for a mounting solution without hacking the thing up.

Does anyone have a Garmin Drive 50 mounted with success?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I've been in a similar situation, and what you need is the 25mm to 17mm adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/ARKON-25mm-Ball-17mm-Adapter/dp/B01MZXRSST

As already mentioned, the only real issue that I've had is that it isn't as stable on the cradle side, so what I did was use a piece of thin rubber (from disposable gloves) and wrap that around the ball. It holds it tight, and I can remove it easily when I want to.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been in a similar situation, and what you need is the 25mm to 17mm adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/ARKON-25mm-Ball-17mm-Adapter/dp/B01MZXRSST

As already mentioned, the only real issue that I've had is that it isn't as stable on the cradle side, so what I did was use a piece of thin rubber (from disposable gloves) and wrap that around the ball. It holds it tight, and I can remove it easily when I want to.
Thanks Zeke. Just to be sure......do you put the thin layer of glove material on the small ball that goes into the gps or the big ball that goes into the arm?

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
It's on the small ball, where the RAM mount can't be tightened. It's not a perfect solution, but has worked for me!

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I have to concede defeat on this project. The Garmin is just not bright enough to view in sunlight so I am returning it. I know there are motorcycle specific units made for motorcycles which are more viewable than those made for automobiles but I am not willing to cough up $400 - $700 for a Zumo. I think I will go old school with maps and use Google maps on my cell phone.

I appreciate the help Brockie and Zeke.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Just a thought, but I used a Nuvi for quite a while before finally getting a Zumo, and yes it was difficult to see in bright sunlight. Although you can buy sunshades, I made one myself, larger than I could buy, and that actually helped quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Look for a used Zumo 550 or 650. They're all over Ebay and Advrider. $200-300. Lots of accessories and mounting options. Motorcycle specific. Mine has lived on my Vstrom for 75,000 miles. I went through a couple of Numi's. They are not bright enough in sunlight, the mounting is a PIA and the little USB connectors don't hold up.

·
Administrator
6,410 Posts
The reality is that unless you need to ride to a specific street address or follow a preentered planned route down various side roads something like a Garmin eTrex 20 and a map is all you need to find your way. https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01508-00-eTrex-20x/dp/B00XQE6ZFG
I always carry a map and compass when exploring anyway and rely more on them than the GPS.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Hmm

I have a Drive 60 that we use in the car or truck. On the Drive 60 the ball mounting attachment on the back of GPS is removable which in your case should allow it to fit in the RAM-HOL-GA50U cradle mentioned by Brockie. Then you could use a diamond plate ball like the RAM-B-238U (aluminum) or RAP-B-238U (composite) mounted to the cradle and it attached to your RAM socket arm.

Otherwise you will need to use the Akron adapter mentioned by Zekester63. Also, then might want to connect a tether to the GPS just in case the ball mount/Akron adapter does not hold on rough surfaces.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm new to these parts (post number 1!) so how's sharing experience for an introduction.

I picked up a refurb Drive 50 for cheap around the holidays and have been using this with it ever since.

amazon.com/gp/product/B00346WOC4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sorry, can't post an actual link with my post count, so copy / paste will have to work for you on the above URL.

The price is right, provides waterproofing, fits very well, and the screen can be manipulated through the clear plastic front. The only down side is that the glare off the plastic front can make seeing the Garmin display really difficult in direct Sun light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Have you considered the SW Motech Navi Case Pro? I don't have personal experience with it myself, but have considered it to use with my Garmin Nuvi 56LM.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nice mount Ni. I just couldn't get past the glare and lack of brightness on the Drive 50. Luckily, with the purchase coming from Amazon, it was easily returned yesterday for the refund of my $50. I tried Google maps on my iPhone in an X Grip mount and one of those safety tether things and found that the phone was not going anywhere. However, I did not like the Google app because it did not function like a GPS unless you put in a destination. The top of the map is always north and you appear to travel along the map. Then I discovered a TomTom Go app. You can turn this app on without a destination and it functions like a GPS with your location in the middle of the screen and the map scrolling from top to bottom. I also like the colors of this app which seem kind to your eyes. There is a subscription fee but it is only $20 bucks for a year. App plus the tether equals $28 bucks invested and I am happy.

·
Registered
108 Posts
However, I did not like the Google app because it did not function like a GPS unless you put in a destination. The top of the map is always north and you appear to travel along the map.
FYI, you can change that by pressing the compass. When you do the map will orient towards North if that is what you prefer.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
2,698 Posts
The biggest drawback I've found in using a smartphone for navigation is that the silly thing won't stay charged.

It's only happy fairly close to room temperature, and out of direct sunlight.

Otherwise, it gets too hot or too cold and won't charge. Having the screen constantly on at maximum brightness doesn't help either.

I went through a few 12V chargers & cables before I finally figured out what was going on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
New here but figured I'd post a pic of my gps location. It's on a 2013 Wee. Doesn't have to be 'Strom specific, but made use of the MadStad bracket with a simple piece of aluminum purchased from home depot.........:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't thought about researching this in a long time. The 25mm to 17mm ball to ball adapter is the easiest to do, but you'll see it mentioned that the Garmin "G" ball isn't for high vibration environments. And from personal experience using my 590LM in the car with the suction mt isn't very secure, it's mostly ok as long as I don't touch it. The RAM-HOL-GA50U cradle mentioned by Brockie will need another adapter - RAM-B-238U. But that setup will allow you to quickly unclip it from the bike.
I am on my 3rd Garmin and am still looking for one that doesn't wash out in direct sunlight. A bigger visor helps but only some. Just head East in the morning and West in the afternoon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts