StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if I don't know where to post this question. I just purchased a Garmin nuvi 2455LMT and I downloaded the mapsource program from Garmin. The mapsource software does not come with any maps. How do I get maps into this program and where do I get them from Garmin? Sorry for my ignorance I'm new with GPS and any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Register at my.garmin.com to begin with. If you need further help call Garmin at the number in your literature. I've had excellent results with their tech support.

·
Registered
627 Posts
There should be a map on the Garmin out of the box (I have the 2455LMT).

Have you gone online to register your Garmin at their website? Connect the GPS to the computer using the USB cord. Go here..

https://my.garmin.com

Register as a user and register your GPS.
Once you're signed in, click on the MyDashboard tab and download the "communicator".
Once that's done, the website will look at your GPS and tell you what maps you have loaded, if an upgrade is available, etc.

Garmin's process for getting these things updated out of the box is kind of ridiculous for all the steps and gyrations they put you through (I've done 3 this year) but once it's done, you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Mapsource?

When I bought my eTrex 20 it appeared that Mapsource is old and you should be using Basecamp these days.

I have only a useless base map on the eTrex20, and am still divided over messing withdownloads vs just buying the MicroSD chip with the state(s) that I want on it.

On 3 of 4 computers that I had access to Basecamp would not install - grrr.

But the eTrex itself is fine as a basic GPS tool.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have went to the website and registered my GPS and also did a software and map update for the GPS unit. What I want to do is create my own routes using the mapsource software that you can download from Garmin. The maps are on the GPS just fine but the software program called Mapsourse from Garmin does not have any maps on it at all. When I use the GPS unit it sets the route but I want to be able to map out my own routes. From what I can tell is that you have to use the Garmin Mapsourse software and the transfer it into the GPS unit. I tried to call Garmin but the support number is closed and they are not there on the weekends.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have went to the website and registered my GPS and also did a software and map update for the GPS unit. What I want to do is create my own routes using the mapsource software that you can download from Garmin. The maps are on the GPS just fine but the software program called Mapsourse from Garmin does not have any maps on it at all. When I use the GPS unit it sets the route but I want to be able to map out my own routes. From what I can tell is that you have to use the Garmin Mapsourse software and the transfer it into the GPS unit. I tried to call Garmin but the support number is closed and they are not there on the weekends.
You may be able to download the Maps from your GPS to Mapsource.

With my GPS, it did not have any road maps - only topos. I had to buy the City Navigator NT 2012 DVD and "install" the maps to Mapsource, and then after I create routes in Mapsource I download the routes and maps to my gps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you go back to where you downloaded mapsource, there should be a a little box that you have to click on to put a check mark in to download the map to your computer. I did the same thing last year and didn't get the map, had to go back and download again with the check mark in the box.
It's been awhile, so I hope this is correct.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
Base road maps are somewhere at Garmin

I think mapsource is supplanted by Basecamp

They are both clumsy and near useless

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Like indicated above. Get Basecamp then you won't need to buy maps. Basecamp will read and show the current map on the GPS from the GPS. The first time takes a little while. There is a bar for the status. Also using the map on the GPS it will do a better job of keeping the route. After it reads the map you have to select the map on the top bar. Otherwise you get the Global map. I would be patient and learn Basecamp.

If you really hate Basecamp and most do then there are free maps. I don't have the link but making tracks on adventure rider is a good place for support

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
tyre free downloadable software will make or suck up maps and rfoutes then upload to a Garmin

My Garmin routes are lousy because

IT WILL NOT FORGET A WAY POINT

others are different

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
I have a different Garmin than you (Zumo 660) so not sure this would work for yours, but i used the HD Ride Planner for my vacation. It has a great map and you can draw your route the way you like, and drag the lines over to different roads to create waypoints etc. It takes a bit of getting used to, but it is simple and it works, and when your all done, it can be uploaded to your Garmin. At least it could on mine. Give it a try.

Ride Planner | Harley-Davidson USA

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Don't know about the Nuvi,but if you have mapsource and wanna learn to use it, go here:
Zumo forums/mapsource thread.
I use both mapsource and basecamp. Mapsource for road travel,basecamp for my oregon and off trail topo travel. Both programs have their specialties.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I downloaded the Basecamp software from Garmin and it seems to work ok for what I want to do. I did one route and sent it to the GPS and it works fine. Did another route and it will not read from the SD card on the unit. All I get is either the hourglass showing when I go to Trip planner or I don't see it at all. I see the other route I created but not this one. Not sure whats going on with it but I'll have to contact Garmin next week. Still trying to learn all the capabilities and things on the GPS. Wish I could find a good source for teaching all of it but haven't found one yet. Thanks to everyone for the help! :)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
It is my belief that HD Ride planner sold/used/changed to some Google maps derivation

It no longer shows dirt roads in beige AND it does the same dumb sh^t rerouting . Younselect a route painfully and then poof it creates a parallel route on the nearest expressway etc,

Useless for MC applications

I am going to try a new tact which is to identify specific addresses or coordinates on the roads I want to run and just use gps to direct me to them

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
It is my belief that HD Ride planner sold/used/changed to some Google maps derivation

It no longer shows dirt roads in beige AND it does the same dumb sh^t rerouting . Younselect a route painfully and then poof it creates a parallel route on the nearest expressway etc,

Useless for MC applications

I am going to try a new tact which is to identify specific addresses or coordinates on the roads I want to run and just use gps to direct me to them
Lol yea, it did that to me a few times too. It is important to know your destination points before you start, and then just drag the route it selects over to the correct road. You can have as many waypoints as you want. It is also important to save your work as you go, so if you do get one of those goofy double routes, you just reload the previous setup.

It's a bit finicky, but it does work.

·
Registered
12 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
You almost had it. You will get a screen that will ask to install maps on GPS, computer only, or both. Go back thru map update, you will still need to have your GPS connected to verify you are entitled to the update. On the update screen select install on computer only because you already updated the GPS plus it's faster. Oh, select the manual update process NOT their automated web-based update to get the lower left hand corner options menu to select computer update options. In the future select manual update program and select BOTH computer and GPS update/install maps.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
UPDATE:

Looks like I have the problems fixed now. Talked to Garmin on the phone and they spent some time with me trying to figure out why it wouldn't take the route I made in Basecamp. I emailed the route to them and they tried it on one of their units and it worked fine but wouldn't work on mine. I took the Garmin back to BestBuy and they replaced it and it works good now. I also got the maps in Mapsourse program by sending the map update to the PC as well as the GPS unit when I did the map update. Took it with me on a family trip for a few days out of state to Chicago. Hard to get around that town no matter what you do. Hate big cities! Seems to be doing it's job. Doesn't always want to take the best route. Garmin was really good about helping me with it. They have great customer service.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts