1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
412 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
:iagree::iagree::iagree:

but, as a side note, my wee has the oxfords and they work very well and are fairly comfortable...but, the PO installed them so the wires aren't in the best location and i am unable to rotate them now that they are glued on...and i can envision when these wear out how much of a pain it will be to replace them...

good luck

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
The Oxfords I bought last year have tiny hard-to-feel pushbotton controls that are precatically impossible to use with gloved hands.

The controls tOxford makes for Cruisers feature a large button/knob combo that is very user-friendly including an indicator light that is visible in the daytime.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The Warm n Safe heat Trollers I use have standard 1/4" stems on their potentiometers. I replaced the knobs with larger ones from Radio Shack. All kinds of knob sizes are available.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just pick some, they all work.
What tmcgee said. I'm on my second cold weather season using the "El Cheapo" $30 mylar film grip heaters from Cycle Gear & they do the job. Are they the best? I'm sure they are not. Why did I pick these? Because I'm cheap! Just a suggestion; whichever set of heated grips you go with, add a set of handguards if you don't already have some installed. They will help deflect the brunt of the wind blast from your hands which will enhance the effectiveness of the grip heaters.

·
Registered
459 Posts
i am unable to rotate them now that they are glued on.
I've used Oxfords on all my bikes without any problems. The buttons are small and so are the 4 settings lights, but they work OK. One big rotating power knob would have been much better than the little buttons, but I prefer the grip style on the sports models which only come with that controller.

If anyone is going to install them, don't glue them - they work fine simply pushed on the bars/throttle. The clutch side might turn a bit when hot, but it's far easier to deal with that than try and remove them if they are glued. At some stage you will need to remove them to change bars or similar...

·
Registered
598 Posts
add a set of handguards if you don't already have some installed. They will help deflect the brunt of the wind blast from your hands which will enhance the effectiveness of the grip heaters.
Heated grips + handguards + hippo hands = summer gloves year round. You still need the handguards to provide support for the hippo hands. I am happy with the Oxfords and don't mind the pushbutton controller, BTW.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
What tmcgee said. I'm on my second cold weather season using the "El Cheapo" $30 mylar film grip heaters from Cycle Gear & they do the job.
If you use these or the Symtec wraps, use electrical tape on the clutch side grip. They have a tendency to short out to the bar over time. The tape also keeps the bar from being as much of a heat sink as it is without the tape.

Favorite tape: 3M 33+

·
Registered
541 Posts
I found a decent deal on a used set of Suzuki grips. The control knob is good, but even with tape on the clutch side, the throttle grip gets a fair amount hotter. I'm considering looking for a little heat conductive grease of some sort to try to draw more heat from the plastic throttle tube to the bar.

Anyone found a grease that would help?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Cheap works

I put a set of cheap warmers on my Wee before a ride to Tasmania. They have only two settings, high and low operated by a toggle switch on left side of fairing. Also installed a power outlet in the same area so I could charge mobile phone or run a GPS. Wired the grips to the front stop light switch and installed a relay, mounted the heat sink and relay on velcro pad inside LH fairing cowl. Been there 2 years no problems. :yesnod:

After riding in the rain at very low temps these worked brilliantly I could still use my brakes and clutch which made the ride enjoyable rather than risky.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I previously installed Hot Grip - lasted one winter. I recommend Oxford Heater Grip (the integrated unit) - none of the left side heats more than right side issue. The integrated grip effectively increase the size of grip which works well with my XL hand. The push button are okay to use even with my REvin Kelvin thick winter gloves. You do have the lights to confirm your selection choices. (but yes rotary switch would have been easier)

They are very easy to install.

Make sure you get the latest generation ones (not old ones which have been sitting on the shelf for a while) - some of earlier ones have premature failures although often promtley replaced by oxford. -see pic below.

Another thing i find one of connector with the 5 or 7 pin connector a little flimsy - ensure all pins are straight and align the tabs when pushing it. If u misse one or two of the function on the control pad - that's the usual suspect

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have the OEM heated grips. The controls are nice, but the grips only heat on one side which is not so nice. It would be nice if they heated all the way around the grip.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Oxfords for me. The one's on my Connie have lasted over 4 years and 74,000km. Getting a bit worn now and will have to replace soon but otherwise they've given me no problems. Also have put them on the Vee.

Cheaper than a reasonable pair of gloves and let me wear thin gloves year round.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I wet through this last year and there are a few facets to the whole thing:

- I installed Symtec grip heaters, which are a very thin stick-on heating "circuit" (element), designed to be applied directly to bare handlebar (left side) and throttle tube (right) once the grips are removed (and old glue cleaned off). Be aware, there are two versions: Motorcycle vs. ATV/Snowmobile. The Motorcycle version has a hotter circuit on the left side to already compensate for the left bar end's heat-sink effect vs. the right side's plastic throttle tube. ATV grips are the same heating capacity on either side and, if applied below the grips as designed, would easily result in imbalanced heating. I went with the Motorcycle grips and applied exactly as directed without deciding I needed to second-guess and re-engineer the concept that Symtec came up with (i.e., applying electrical tape or thin tubing around the left bar end insulate it and reduce the heat-sink effect). For the last year I have enjoyed perfectly balanced heating on both the left and right side. If you go with ATV heaters mounted under the grips, you'll likely cook your right hand more than the left and when I was researching the options I read threads from people who reported the throttle tube becoming warped by the heat and sticking in position.

- Alternately, some people install the grip heater elements right on top of (over) the grips themselves, and then put Grip Puppies (soft foam handgrip covers if you're not familiar with 'em) over the heater elements. This approach eliminates the consideration of differing heat absorption capacities of right vs. left side of the bar since all things are equal with the stock rubber grips used as the base. In this application, you don't want the intentionaly-uneven warming qualities of the Motorcycle heaters, but want the ATV heaters instead. Beware, the heat will be much more direct to your skin since it's not trying to warm a rubber grip to get to your hand. Some folks have reported uncomfortably hot hands and blisters, which leads us to...

- Heat control: most heaters come with a simple controller which may offer two heat settings, or maybe 3 or 4 on the nicer ones. All this means is that either setting is guaranteed to be too warm or too cold for what you need (and don't kid yourself, once you start using them you'll want to employ them on many other occasions than just the colder-than-a-witches-titty mornings coming up). Best way to control them is with a variable-setting heat controller such as the Heat Troller from Warm & Safe (another great Greywolf recommendation). This adds to the cost and a little bit to the complexity of the installation but is VERY MUCH WORTH IT particularly on the cool fall & spring mornings.

- Lastly, electric connection. If you've added few gizmos to you bike like I had, I realized I'd started to generate a rat's nest of wires under the seat and had too many power taps running off the battery posts. If you don't have one already, an aftermarket fuse block (Eastern Beaver PC-8 ) was just the ticket for me. Good Stuff Maynard.

I am exceedingly happy (and spoiled) by the result and the heaters keep up with very cold temps into the mid-20's (F) for me. However in retrospect, the cost of a simple $39 set of stick-on grip heaters swelled to something like $150 or so when all was said and done. So if I had to do it all over again I'd go with Oxford heated grips for simplicity's sake. Plus the Heat-Troller, for sure.

And one other thought, I commute in heavy traffic which requires I cover the brake and clutch for a good portion of the ride. When your fingers aren't on the grips, you loose the benefits, and I quickly realized I also needed lever heaters for the brake and clutch! :)

In that respect a set of heated gloves would have made a bit more sense...but then again the heaters are nice at other times of the year that you wouldn't want to break out your winter gloves.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Another vote for the Oxfords. They heat very evenly, and the way they're constructed means they don't radiate a significant portion of their heat through the bars. The wiring and strain-relief on the grips are heavy duty. I wasn't crazy about the controller that comes with them. Besides being rather large and IMO, unsightly, it has a reputation for being the weak link in the system. I bought from Lockitt and upgraded to a Heat-troller. The heat-troller is more reliable, can be panel-mounted so you don't have a big box attached to the handlebar, and infinitely adjustable vs 4 settings.

You can see the heat-troller control mounted on the plastic panel just in front of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
61 Posts
concours

I put Oxfords on mine and have used them daily for the past 3 weeks they work great and easy to install just take your time to find the perfect possition before you apply the glue. I took Greywolf's advice and installed a fuse pannel and used the Suzuki horn wire harness to power the relay therefor iliminating the possibility of forgetting to turn them off. Oxford says that the grips turn off if the battery gets low but if you do forget to turn them off there is not enough battery power remaining to crank the engine. (trust me on that) I use the low or 2nd heat setting and that is lots for a 0 deg c morning

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I have had HotGrips Model 475-875 heated grips working off a Warm and Safe Heat-Troller since Feb, 2007. I would do it again to get large diameter grips insulated from the bars and running off a non proprietary controller. I can use any Heat-Troller model positioned anywhere I choose. If I was okay with smaller diameter grips, I'd go with Symtec ATV wrap arounds over the stock grips and under Grip Puppies to save money and keep the Heat-Troller actuation.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts