StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am asking for some destination suggestions...before i get lambasted, yes, I've searched through ride reports until my eyes are blurry, archived, old, new, etc. I have 4 days in mid April, and need a breather...just a break from stress and the job. I'd love to rtw, but I am not a trust funder, wealthy, a rapper or ball player. I work. I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and an amazing family to get back to. I can plan a route, but basically, I live in South Mississippi, and want to go somewhere new, somewhere different. I'm thinking north Georgia, Ark, TN? I ll be on my 650 Vstrom, and am wanting: out of the way, mountains, tiny towns, ... Gravel or poor roads are fine, twisty mountain roads are even better, but I'll be alone so no true off road. I'll camp, and thats a plus. So, i dont need routes per-se, but maybe some ideas?

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am not familiar with your part of the country, so I can't recommend a destination. From your user name however, I can probably relate to the "just needing a break from stress and the job". I'm a hospital pharmacist. I am feeling the same way.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
If you considering Georgia and/or Tennessee, why you don't go to North Carolina. Explore Smokey Mountains and Blue Ridge Parkway for 2 days and go back relaxed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! i would talk anyone out of working in a hospital...11 years in acute care and cardiac units will wear a person out...at least it does me. 14 years as a police officer in violent crimes and gang units was a breeze compared to nursing...but I digress. I would very much like to explore those areas, was looking in the Ozarks tonight on google maps (i.e., AR-& and Mt. Nebo areas) but I dont want to miss any "must-sees" from people familiar with areas. When I lived in New Mexico, I spent so much time exploring, I often directed people to wonderful areas that were little known. Just looking for some tips. I'm tired of going from one air-conditioned box to another, then home. I need to break the hermetically sealed existence and breathe some fresh air, not have to type, talk, text, google, wiki, fax, scan, email, download/upload, refresh, log on OR off...yall get the drift. I need to just ride. To just BE.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If you haven't tried it tried already, try googling 'riding arkansas' or any state and see what you come up with. There a bunch of sites out there with suggested roads.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Eureka Springa, Arkansas area is nice riding..........old Historic District, a motorcycle campground (that I remember), The Passion Play (Google it), plus LOTS of great roads to ride up there.

North Georgia has great roads as well.........up near Hiway 60 (Suches), Blairsville, Helen, Dahlonega, etc...........same with NC (you can't go wrong).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Im on the right track then...I did some major googling..and plotted roads in all of the areas mentioned. I just want a point to head to...the adventure will find me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
google suches ga. TWoS is the spot to camp...nearby helen is the tourist fix if ya need that. you'll never ride the same road twice in that area.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,439 Posts
I just came back from a trip to Cotter Arkansas. There is some really nice riding there and it is away from the traffic and popularity many destinations suffer from. I love exploring the back roads. Especially gravel roads. South of Yellville on route 14 is some nice twisty sections, but the real jewel is picking a road between 14 and 65. Most end up with some gravel! Let me tell you this is back country. Some of the stuff you see is...not mainstream! If you care to fish, the White river around Cotter is the Trout capitol of the USA! Arkansas has 7 day fishing licenses for $29, probably 3 day ones for less. This area is in your range and if you go, you will find a way to go back.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Go to google maps and find your location. Zoom out to about a 300 mile radius. Look for squiggly lines. Map out the ride. Program it into your GPS if it's capable or just list it out on a piece of paper and slide it in the clear sleeve on your tank bag. Leave early in the morning and ride all day. Take breaks along scenic lookout, etc. Enjoy. That's what I do. Unfortunately I have to ride about an hour and a half to get to those squiggly lines.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Adv Nurse, the Ozarks will be perfect for your trip. My favotite ride is Clarksville, up 103 to the Oark General Store(https://www.facebook.com/OarkGeneralStore?ref=br_tf) for the best cheese burger anywhere or homemade pie and ice cream, past Catalpa to Hwy21, to Boxley Valley for a ride down the Buffalo River, Compton, Harrison and then branch out from there. I'll be happy to answer any questions. The Oark Store is a stopping point on the TAT. I would check ADV Rider for tent spaces. Have a good trip!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I'd also recommend the Ozarks in NW Arkansas. Rode there for five days a year and a half ago and it was fantastic. +1 on the Oark General Store. There is a Stromtrooper who's daughter owns and runs it. It was recommended to me to pick up the Butler Maps Ozark Map. You might consider doing that. Problem is with just four days, you'll hardly scratch the surface. If you can be there during the week, you'll have the roads largely to yourself.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'd have to say you're on the right track with N. Georgia.
There's an incredible and diverse network of mountain scenic and twisty routes, including the Suches Loop (Georgia's Dragon, which we claim is longer and twistier than it's namesake), the Richard Russell, Blue Ridge Parkway, etc...

Additionally, some of the small towns sprinkled around these routes are really worth a stop in (definitely Google them): Helen, Ga, with its Alpine settings/restaurants, and candy making shops; Senoia and Grantville (if you're a fan of "The Walking Dead," this is where they've been shooting -- a little south of Atlanta, but a nice ride on a bike); of course, Atlanta itself...

But... then again... I'm biased...

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
I'd start by hopping on the Natchez Trace and camping in Tishomingo State Park. It will be a mellow start, but good for clearing the mind. Then you can head for Tail of the Dragon and Deal's Gap. Work your way home through the North Georgia mountains, be sure to check out Tallulah Gorge.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I'd start by hopping on the Natchez Trace and camping in Tishomingo State Park. It will be a mellow start, but good for clearing the mind. Then you can head for Tail of the Dragon and Deal's Gap. Work your way home through the North Georgia mountains, be sure to check out Tallulah Gorge.
Exactly!
You can make Deals Gap your destination and find many other bikes doing the same. Don't forget to check out Ironhorse Lodge while you are in that area. It may just be the place you are looking for to stay overnight. Ironhorse Motorcycle Lodge | 828-479-3864 Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge near Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway
Let us know where you go!

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can also check for rides and routes on: Not a whole heck of a lot in that neck of the woods, but there are a few routes nearby.

Map -- MOTORIDES.COM

·
Registered
250 Posts
NW Arkansas is VERY hard to beat and I ride there all the time! Check out the "three sisters" which are Petit Jean Mountain, Mount Magazine, and my personal favorite Mount Nebo. I strongly suggest staying one night at the lodge at Mount Magazine (kinda pricey but worth it) and a cabin at Mount Nebo. I'd be very glad to assist with trip planning if you have any questions. Be aware that if you like a glass of wine or any other tasty adult beverages you have to plan ahead because that's dry county country...

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Go to google maps and find your location. Zoom out to about a 300 mile radius. Look for squiggly lines. Map out the ride. Program it into your GPS if it's capable or just list it out on a piece of paper and slide it in the clear sleeve on your tank bag. Leave early in the morning and ride all day. Take breaks along scenic lookout, etc. Enjoy. That's what I do. Unfortunately I have to ride about an hour and a half to get to those squiggly lines.
I like this idea.

Also every state/province should have a website or two that shows the best motorcycle roads. Well unless they are flat. You can avoid those.
For example California has California Motorcycle Roads - Pashnit Motorcycle Tours Maps, Passionate Scenic Rides Photos.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you all for your replies...ive got some googling to do. When I was young and had no real responsibilities id pack and go. I did 6 weeks from California to Canada to key west that way with the bare essentials. Now, it takes (me) some planning and research. That can be half the fun. It looks like itll be either nw ark, the trace which starts close to my home and go to Tennessee, or the suches area of Georgia. Yay!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 33 Posts