StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I've been reading through posts on the forum but am still confused about how to use the Aux connector on the right side of the bike (under the faring) for connecting accessories.

I want to connect a couple of dual-USB ports for charging electronics. I'm under the assumption that I could do so by:

1. Buying the DL650 2012 Accessory Adapter from Eastern Beaver as seen here, which will plug directly into the stock connector. https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/vstrom.html

2. Buying a ready-made shelf with a few USB power plugs from Adventuretech, as seen here: Auxiliary Shelves (main page) - AdventureTech, LLC.

So far so good, but when it comes to the actual wiring, I'm totally lost. If I were to get a couple of dual USB plugs, could I wire those both up to the same AUX connector?

Second, I've never done electrical work, so if someone could point me to a resource where I could learn the basics (a Youtube video or a detailed write-up suitable for beginners) so that I can do this job easily that would be awesome.

Thanks for your help!

Dave

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Have a chat to Adventure Tech, I would think they could supply everything you need and answer all your questions.

Reactions: Gert

·
Registered
418 Posts
<< if someone could point me to a resource where I could learn the basics (a Youtube video or a detailed write-up suitable for beginners) so that I can do this job easily that would be awesome.>>

Dave,

There is some great "basics" information at https://www.ironbutt.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1759&PN=1&TPN=1

Hope that helps you out.

EDIT: I just realized that the above URL contains some forum chatting in between Brian's basic instructions. To avoid that chatting, I see the same basic instructions are posted at http://www.ldriders.com/electrical-items.html.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, all. That's helpful.

I sent an email to Rick and am checking out the resources above. Electrical stuff isn't my forte but I think I should be able to handle this. If anyone else has any other feedback, let me know.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello, I'm looking at using the factory connectors in the fairing and I'm wondering if anyone found a good source of terminal ends for plugging into both of the factory two wire connectors?

Thank you.

·
Administrator
5,718 Posts
Connector color may be black or white. A Suzuki horn lead will plug into the heated grips connector. Part number 36852-06G00

·
Registered
8 Posts
Eastern Beaver
Thanks, I just purchased and installed a PC-8 - love it. I should have researched them a little bit more, didn't know that they could sell connectors too when I placed my order. Might have to order a dozen or so just to make the shipping reasonable.

·
Vendor
5,238 Posts
Eastern Beaver is great. A long standing highly respected V-Strom supporter.

I think the answer to the question is V-Strom Electrical 101. IMO this should be a sticky somewhere. One VS owned site linkng to another. Or - the information harvested in a new thread that is maintained and updated.

I guess I could do it in my forom area, but forum area will only be here as long as I'm paying to advertise and that will not be forever. I could build it there and y'all could move it.

Anyway, ... here is the link. Basic V-Strom Wiring 101

There is another VSRI link in there to a discussion of how to wire a relay. Aux Fuse Box Wiring - 101

1 - 11 of 11 Posts