StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need the wisdom of the Forum on a source for inexpensive Parts. I need a Cowling Brace (Stay).(94510-27G01) The cheapest I have found is $198.39.

Went to NATSTOC(a ST event) with the Wee and parked on the grass at the camp site. Bike fell over against a tree and bent the Cowling Brace. Also scratched the wind shield. No other damage. After I got home I stripped the plastic and found the Brace is bent (twisted) about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch off center. Here are a couple of pictures of the Cowling Brace.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Before you go spending money on parts, remove the brace and slap it in a vise and go at it with a hammer and tongs for a bit an see if you can't get it back to a reasonable state of trueness. You've already resigned yourself to replacing it, so you've got nothing to lose and everything to gain from banging on it...

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Another source for cheap parts is ebay, type in DL650, and browse. Many junkyards strip the carcasses of crashed bikes and sell every useable item.

I've gotten some good deals for obscure components this way. Just read the description carefully...item may be scratched or worn, but generally they give an amount of detail on the item, enough to make an informed decision.

As always, buyer beware. But my experiences have been totally positive.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I vote smack it with a hammer!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and ideas. I have beaten it with a hammer, pulled and pushed with a long breaker bar. Got most of the bend and twist out but it is still tweaked a bit. Need a torch and a larger vice, which I don’t have.

I discovered my local Suzuki, Honda, etc. dealer has a military discount that is equal to their employee price. Store OEM price $243.00. Store Military price $163.00. Cheapest Online price I found was 188.39 + shipping.

Decisions, Decisions, do I live with a tweaked Fairing Stay, or do I give my local shop some business and buy a new one at their Military Discount price?

Going to take one of my other bikes and go for a ride to contemplate what to do.

·
Premium Member
3,050 Posts
Chuck........did you get my PM yesterday?? There was a straight one on Ebay for $100 or Best Offer........only 23 hrs left as of yesterday evening. Look under "VStorm"......not "Vstrom". Anyway, good luck...........
mark444

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chuck........did you get my PM yesterday?? There was a straight one on Ebay for $100 or Best Offer........only 23 hrs left as of yesterday evening. Look under "VStorm"......not "Vstrom". Anyway, good luck...........
mark444
Thanks for the heads up. I will look into it.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Give this guy a call/email:

Tyler Kovar
MOTOBATT Headquarters
1316 West Adams St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
Tel: 904-483-3875
Fax: 904-358-7753
[email protected]

I'm not sure how the company is structured, but part of their business is after market fairing stays. I got one from them last fall for about $100 delivered. Perfect fit and well made.

Good luck, let me know how it turns out if you go this route.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts