StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Vendor
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ws very surprised to find that I don't actually have any pics of our GPS mount installed on a 2017/2018 DL650. I very much appreciate it if someone with our GP mount instaled would take a couple of photos and forward them to me.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Premium Member
2,499 Posts
Rick- A question about photos of your product. On the 2017 650 light bar the photo is of a 18 1000. Is the design so similar that the look is the same. Doing some farkle work for a friend and need to know before ordering.
Thanks Don.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Here you go, Rick. Fits like a glove. Sorry I couldn't get a front view... maybe when I pull off the Madstad...

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rick, two questions about your mount.
  • Do we know that these flip up tabs on the Givi Airflow shield will clear the mount? I have the lower shield in the lowest setting.
  • Does the mount limit which height you can mount the shield at?
Edit
I installed one and the flip tabs do just barely clear the mounting bracket with the Airflow shield in the lowest position

·
Registered
769 Posts
Do you get any excessive vibration with it high up there?

...oh, and was it designed so that the ball faces forward or the rider? I suppose it works either way.
The ball can face either way. However, have it it face away from the rider seems to (more easily) set the GPS in alignment with the mount, and place it in a perfect viewing position.

Oh, and I get zero vibration traveling to the Zumo.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Rick, two questions about your mount.
  • Do we know that these flip up tabs on the Givi Airflow shield will clear the mount? I have the lower shield in the lowest setting.
  • Does the mount limit which height you can mount the shield at?

Edit...

I think this ruler confirms that the Givi Airflow and this GPS mount are incompatible, unless maybe you ride with the shield super tall. The tabs won't clear the mount. That's a real bummer.

I can't comment on the Airflow shield, as I have a Madstad. In my case, Rick's GPS mount mounts right inbetween the two Madstad brackets (see below). This leaves plenty of room to manipulate the adjustment wheels on the Madstad. All I needed to do was pick up a few slightly longer Madstad bracket screws to make up for the GPS mount's thickness.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The only way it could possibly work with the Airflow would be to mount the latches upside down, so that you flip them up instead of down to secure the shield. Even then, not sure it would clear the mount. Too close to call, but it has a chance of working.

Edit: I was wrong. It works.

·
Registered
769 Posts
The only way it could possibly work with the Airflow would be to mount the latches upside down, so that you flip them up instead of down to secure the shield. Even then, not sure it would clear the mount. Too close to call, but it has a chance of working.
I don't want to speak for Rick, however, perhaps you can work some trial out. Seems it would benefit everyone that owns an Airflow and GPS to see if the Airflow and mount are compatible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Can anyone clarify if the mount itself comes with additional longer screws for the standard windshield (or if they're even needed?)

Also, the mount I have currently on my GPS has a ball socket and the windshield suction cup has the ball, I'm assuming I'd need an adapter that's a ball on both sides (1 for the adapter ... 1" if i recall and then whatever goes into my mounting plate)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Vendor
4,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Boy have I missed a bunch of posts.

Longer screws are not needed. It mounts with the stock hardware.

Yes, happiness guaranteed.

It looks to me that the picture with the ruler shows it will work. The high point for the GPS is in the middle. The airflow latches are to the sides of the middle. I have an airflow on my Vee2 with our similar Vee2 GPS mount.

I think we have sold a couple of these to people with Airflow windscreens, but I can't be certain.

Also there have been two versions of this GPS mount. The current version puts the top of GPS mount 1.75" above the top holes in the windscreen mount where the latches are located. The first version put the top of the GPS mount 1.125" above the top holes where the latches are located.

The mount includes a 1" "B" ram ball. You will need a ram cradle and a short arm for a GPS, or short or medium arm and an x-Grip for a smart phone.

·
Registered
469 Posts
It looks to me that the picture with the ruler shows it will work.
If the bracket is flat and makes a straight shot from shield bracket to shield bracket, it will interfere for sure (at least with the shield mounted low). It's neither low enough nor out enough for the shield to clear.

If you want to send me an outline of one, I'll make a paper cutout and test fit it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for all the info, this looks ideal and gonna order one.

I have the stock windscreen, once i've got it installed and set up I'll post some pics!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Also, the mount I have currently on my GPS has a ball socket and the windshield suction cup has the ball, I'm assuming I'd need an adapter that's a ball on both sides (1 for the adapter ... 1" if i recall and then whatever goes into my mounting plate)
Thanks!
You will need a 17mm Garmin ball to fit into the back of that mount.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have the AT gps mount and a Givi Airflow screen, no issues. I have it mounted so that the ball is facing away from me. There is sufficient clearance to operate the screen latches to raise or lower the screen while I am riding using my left hand for both sides. The combination works very well together.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts